Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hooking up an XBOX

Old 01-01-06, 06:08 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Rock
Posts: 561
Hooking up an XBOX

Has anyone used the Monster Cable GameLink cables? I was planning on ordering the GameLink 400 but realized that my TV only has 2 Component hookups and both are in use. Now I am planning on getting the GameLink 300 and using the S-Video route along with the Optical for sound. Do these cables make a noticable difference compared to the ones out of the box?
tks
b.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but i couldn't find it.
Celtic Bob is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 09:40 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,827
Originally Posted by Celtic Bob
Has anyone used the Monster Cable GameLink cables? I was planning on ordering the GameLink 400 but realized that my TV only has 2 Component hookups and both are in use. Now I am planning on getting the GameLink 300 and using the S-Video route along with the Optical for sound. Do these cables make a noticable difference compared to the ones out of the box?
tks
b.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but i couldn't find it.
Do you have a High Def TV?
sniper308 is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 09:45 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Rock
Posts: 561
Yes.
Only 2 Component hookups on back and both are in use. 1 is being used by DVD Player and other is by the HiDef Decoder for my dish.
Celtic Bob is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 10:29 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,827
Originally Posted by Celtic Bob
Yes.
Only 2 Component hookups on back and both are in use. 1 is being used by DVD Player and other is by the HiDef Decoder for my dish.
Well then it should be a big difference between S-video and Component, because you won't be sending a high def signal via the S-video.

I myself do not have an HDTV so I can't speak to the difference specifically from experience, but if you want high def, you won't be getting it via the S-video.
sniper308 is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 10:29 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
I personally would buy a component switching box instead of the Monster cable, and use the one from the 360 (assuming you got the premium) and you would probably end up saving money.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1113534250337
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1130980621234
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

EDIT: Just realized you are talking about a standard XBox. I would then just go to S-video, unless you are planning on getting a 360, in which case the component switcher would be a good investment for the future. Or try Ebay, I am sure some decent deals can be had for less than Monster.

Last edited by jon-w9; 01-01-06 at 10:46 AM.
jonw9 is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 10:54 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Rock
Posts: 561
I have no plans right now for a 360.
I will go ahead and get the Monster GameLink 300 and use the S-Video. Has anyone used these cables?? Will it be a noticable difference from the cables that come with the box?
Celtic Bob is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 11:07 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
You will notice a slight upgrade in picture due to switching from composite to s-video, but that is due to the connection type and not the brand of cable. As for audio, if you are using the TV speakers there will probably be no difference.
jonw9 is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 11:10 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,827
Originally Posted by jon-w9
I personally would buy a component switching box instead of the Monster cable, and use the one from the 360 (assuming you got the premium) and you would probably end up saving money.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1113534250337
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1130980621234
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

EDIT: Just realized you are talking about a standard XBox. I would then just go to S-video, unless you are planning on getting a 360, in which case the component switcher would be a good investment for the future. Or try Ebay, I am sure some decent deals can be had for less than Monster.
Oops, I figured we were talking 360 as well...
sniper308 is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 11:24 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Rock
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by sniper308
Oops, I figured we were talking 360 as well...
I should have stated in title.
Sorry
b.
Celtic Bob is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 12:24 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
I just think you would have the same hapiness from a $10 pelican or Mad Catz s-video cable that you would from a $35 one from Monster, and use the difference to buy 1/2 a game.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1126592233458
jonw9 is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 02:03 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Rock
Posts: 561
The Monster GameLink 300 is $70 up here in Canada. I will definitly look for a cheaper one. It was only last night I realized I never had another Component Out on my TV. Glad I never ordered the 400.
b.
Celtic Bob is offline  
Old 01-01-06, 02:33 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 476
You'll definitely enjoy playing in surround sound if you're going to hook up your XBOX to a surround sound system. There are some games with absolutely jaw-dropping 5.1 audio.
dvdmovie1 is offline  
Old 01-02-06, 06:44 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Rock
Posts: 561
I am going to hook the video up via S-Video and Audio up via a optical cable.
Celtic Bob is offline  
Old 01-02-06, 11:05 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
I think if you are doing optical, you will need a different cable than what I was linking to.
I believe something like this:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Micro...oductDetail.do

Unless the Xbox has an optical built into the back, which I am not sure of. I see the Monster 300 has only s-video and composite R/L cables, with no port for optic.
jonw9 is offline  
Old 01-02-06, 11:22 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,387
I have my XBOX set up with the "Hi Def pack" and some games look awesome while others like just ok.

Either way you'll definately want to take advantage of XBOX's 5.1 DD. When I had my PS2 I had the Optical from both the XBOX and PS2 going to an inexpensive 2 way Optical splitter from Radio Shack that then went to my YAMAHA 5.1 Receiver. It worked perfectly. As far as the video I simply switched between systems with a S-VIDEO capable game switcher unit that cost me $20.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 01-04-06, 04:44 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Rock
Posts: 561
Here is the link to the Monster versions.
http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox/

GameLink 300 is the one I want and the Lightwave 100. Hopefully there are cheaper brands out there of these.
Celtic Bob is offline  
Old 01-04-06, 07:30 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
I provided links for other brands, and you can go to Radio Shack and pretty much buy any optical cable that will provide the same results. I am still not sure if you need the hi-def pack I linked above to provide the optical port. Hopefully some other XBox owner can provide feedback on the requirements for this (Robo?)
jonw9 is offline  
Old 01-04-06, 01:13 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 729
Monoprice is a good place to buy good inexpensive cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
mr_jbloggs is offline  
Old 01-04-06, 01:27 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
Why are you against using a component switch? The original XBOX still looks a lot better with Component cables.
DJ_Longfellow is offline  
Old 01-04-06, 04:39 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Rock
Posts: 561
The Box's Optic is regular on one end and unique to the XBox on the other. I have extra optical cables here but they will not fit.

I am not totally against a switch but i'd rather just buy a cable. There is no Radio Shack up here in Canada and the local "The Source" don't seem to carry anything like it only the Monster. There is no Best Buy here on the island either.
Celtic Bob is offline  
Old 01-08-06, 08:11 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
I just got a 16:9 HDTV. I have no plans on upgrading to a 360 any time soon. I want to hookup my XBOX with the HD av pack, but I've been to several sites and all are out of stock/not available. Why is this so hard to find now?
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 01-08-06, 08:57 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,423
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I just got a 16:9 HDTV. I have no plans on upgrading to a 360 any time soon. I want to hookup my XBOX with the HD av pack, but I've been to several sites and all are out of stock/not available. Why is this so hard to find now?
It's always been relatively hard to find.

For the OP, buy the component switch box. It's worth it. Also, check your receiver -- it should have some component video switching if it's not that old.
DamingR is offline  
Old 01-09-06, 11:55 AM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Talent, OR
Posts: 1,053
The HD pack shouldn't be hard to find anymore.

They started selling them again months ago and I can find boxes of them for you at CC and Toys R Us.
chemosh6969 is offline  
Old 01-09-06, 12:06 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
Originally Posted by DamingR
It's always been relatively hard to find.

For the OP, buy the component switch box. It's worth it. Also, check your receiver -- it should have some component video switching if it's not that old.
Yeah, that is what I do...I run two component cables through my receiver....that is a good option also.
DJ_Longfellow is offline  
Old 01-10-06, 06:09 PM
  #25  
MSA
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by Celtic Bob
Here is the link to the Monster versions.
http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox/

GameLink 300 is the one I want and the Lightwave 100. Hopefully there are cheaper brands out there of these.
If anyone is still interested, the link above will take you to MonsterGame cables. If you look below you will find HOOK-UP TIPS.
It helped me. I use Gamelink 400 with analog (5 wire) along with the light wave. That allows me to play on regular TV when my family complains about the surround sound in the middle of the night.
MSA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.