Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One & Only "Trying To Get An Xbox Thread"

Old 12-10-05, 07:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

The One & Only "Trying To Get An Xbox Thread"

So it seems Cost Co was the place to be lately to find one. They got in shipments all over the US. Hopefully this means other places will start getting them in.
Old 12-10-05, 07:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

If MS can roll 50-100 units into most big boxes every week between now and Xmas they could salvage this launch.
Old 12-10-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So two shipments of fifty per store before Christmas. I would doubt 100. But we know it's not going to happen. Face it boys and girls, xbox is going down in history as having this launch fail.
Old 12-10-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont see how selling out of all of your product is a failure.
Old 12-10-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they can get at least 50 into every store it may be possible to appease the masses. That it to Target, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Sears, BB, CC, and the various gamer boutiques. I am not sure if this is even possible. That would put enough around for anybody who wants one to get one.

But the could not do this for the prepared launch, I highly doubt then can do this within the next 14 days.
Old 12-10-05, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by thematahara
So if they manufactored 3 of them and SOLD OUT it's a success???

You have to get close to satisfying the demand to maximize your launch. They aren't even CLOSE.
Old 12-10-05, 09:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by jon-w9
If they can get at least 50 into every store it may be possible to appease the masses. That it to Target, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Sears, BB, CC, and the various gamer boutiques. I am not sure if this is even possible. That would put enough around for anybody who wants one to get one.

But the could not do this for the prepared launch, I highly doubt then can do this within the next 14 days.
I'm going off of the mysterious amounts showing up at CostCo and a few members on here getting them with ease. If CostCo can get so many, then why not Sam's Club and Walmart? And then why not Target, Best Buy, and Circuit City? Either CostCo this weekend was a huge fluke or they are starting to come in with a nice volume and the Big Boxes are dragging their ass getting them to where they need to be.
Old 12-10-05, 09:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
So two shipments of fifty per store before Christmas. I would doubt 100. But we know it's not going to happen. Face it boys and girls, xbox is going down in history as having this launch fail.
I dunno, Saturn was pretty bad too from what I've read.

It's funny how far gaming has come. I remember when the original PSX came out and no one gave a shit, now it's a frenzy.
Old 12-10-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I checked my Sam Club today and did not have any luck there. My Target was out as well.
Old 12-10-05, 10:07 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No costco near me, so I am hoping wally world gets their second or Kmart get their first!
Old 12-10-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Costco in WDM, IA got their allotment.

There was a guy up near the front door handing out the vouchers - you had to flash your Costco card again to get it.

All bundles were the same:

Xbox 360 Premium system
Wireless Controller
Play n' Charge kit
PGR3

My cost was $480 + tax

I saw MANY other shoppers carrying the voucher to the checkouts.

They had 12 left at 4:15 PM CST
Old 12-10-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want this 360. Screw the tiny ones!

So anyway yeah the 360 flop in Japan. Way to go Peter Moore. Would someone please fire that asshole!

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-36...uide/index.php

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 12-10-05 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-11-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
So anyway yeah the 360 flop in Japan. Way to go Peter Moore. Would someone please fire that asshole!

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-3...guide/index.php
Forget Best Buy, Target, and Costco. Looks like Japan is the place to be to get an Xbox 360!
Old 12-11-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
I want this 360. Screw the tiny ones!

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-36...uide/index.php

1 day, your giving the system 1 day. come on bro.
Old 12-11-05, 12:33 AM

No Costco's in Rochester NY makes me sad.
Old 12-11-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have to drive to the other side of the Cities to get to a Costco, not to mention become a member...as much as I want a 360, it's just not worth it.
Old 12-11-05, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by damn_skippy
1 day, your giving the system 1 day. come on bro.
Not meaning to go off-topic here, nor am I saying it's a "flop" in Japan...but there certainly seems to be a huge contrast in interest between the two regions.

Now, before anyone jumps on my back, I know this is a report by one person in Japan, posted about one location, so it should not represent the Xbox 360 launch as a whole overseas. However, you could pick any one place here in the US on launch day and see how different it was by comparison.
Old 12-11-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a few contacts that live in Japan and yes Microsoft did a bang up job again. Way to go peter moore please die of STDs. Anyway Microsoft didn't even give Japan the launch titles they would want to start with. They could give a crap about halo and the like, they want goofy games. If it weren't for the oh so great region coding on the machine itself Id have a 360 shipped by a friend outside Toyota city. on a more U.S. non killing peter moore note.

Here is the best buy store memo dealEo thing.

Old 12-11-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I live like 1 minute from a Costco. I almost went there last night before closing to check if any were left (or if they even got any) but decided against it.
Old 12-11-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jon-w9
So in Japan unit Microsoft is putting the power brick inside the unit?
Old 12-11-05, 09:45 AM

I'm not sure I'ld call this launch either a failure or a success. I'd say that total number of units produced so far is pretty close to the number of hard-core gamers that really, really wanted the new Xbox. Unfortunately, removing at least 10% of the launch (plus whatever is bought from future shipments) for eBay scalping hurts the gamer's odds of scoring a console. If Microsoft released 5 million consoles all at once, thus removing the scalpers from the picture, people would point to it being a "failed" launch because units are sitting on the shelves. Microsoft would also then miss out on the sales to people on-the-fence until they see the opportunity to buy the hot item and decide that they really want one, too.
Old 12-11-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by silentbob007
I'm not sure I'ld call this launch either a failure or a success. I'd say that total number of units produced so far is pretty close to the number of hard-core gamers that really, really wanted the new Xbox. Unfortunately, removing at least 10% of the launch (plus whatever is bought from future shipments) for eBay scalping hurts the gamer's odds of scoring a console. If Microsoft released 5 million consoles all at once, thus removing the scalpers from the picture, people would point to it being a "failed" launch because units are sitting on the shelves. Microsoft would also then miss out on the sales to people on-the-fence until they see the opportunity to buy the hot item and decide that they really want one, too.
Except that the people that, right now, can't get one, would have one - thus potentially increasing sales of games/extras for the unit. So, in that regard - I think many would consider it a success.
Old 12-11-05, 10:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

Mod Note: Japanese Launch Discussions goes into the Misc Topics thread
Old 12-11-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thematahara
anytime you have a large group of people looking to drop $299+ but they can't because there are supply problems, that's a failure. It's also a failure to have tons of units sitting on store shelves, it's finding a medium that's tricky with the world of JIT inventory.
It's not just the console itself that's hard to find, my brother and I went to a few stores last night looking for the Hard Drive and had zero luck. That's $99 that won't be spent for a while.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 12-11-05 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-11-05, 11:42 AM

uh, just a heads up-- everyone check their Target stores!

Mine got some in this morning (only 4), and sold out within an hour.

The one i live by is North Olmsted, OH. so if you are in the midwest you may have some luck.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.