Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone Getting Guitar Hero?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is everybody's favorite song to play in GH2?

Even though it's pretty much a stupid song, I just love rocking out to 'Cherry Pie'. Dancing around the room yelling the lyrics while playing, I just find it fun to act a total idiot too.
Old 11-08-06, 07:21 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still not sure of all the songs I've heard so far on GH2. I'm not a fan of a few of them. One in particular, the voice sends shivers down my spine because it is so off. Girlfriend by Matthew Sweet, great song, but the person singing in GH2 is really off key.

I got through the game on Easy first just to get used to the new songs and it had been a while since I played GH1.

I started in on Medium. Things were going pretty well until I got to Message in a Bottle of all songs. There are some quick finger movements in that song. I hate to see what it looks like on Hard or Expert.

And that isn't even that difficult of a song.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 11-08-06 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-08-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd been playing GH1 for about a year, and considered myself to be at least decent.. And some of these songs still kick my ass! I started out on expert (the only difficulty) and have made it up to Freya without too much difficulty, but man, they really ramped up the difficulty.

I do like the fact that HO/POs are way easier now, as I can really rock out and just fret away without strumming for 20 notes or so in certain sections. Definately an awesome, awesome game!
Old 11-08-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's that Wall Street Journal article about it:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...jcwNzY3Wj.html
Old 11-08-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With GH 1, I started on the lowest difficulty, and over the months worked my way up through Hard. I still can't beat Bark at the Moon on Hard, so I just started back at the beginning on Expert, and made it through the first tier or two.

So when I picked up GH 2 last night, I just started on Expert. I'm up to tier 5 so far, and Killing in the Name was the last song I finished. So far the only song that I've failed was Woman, which I failed a couple of times for some reason. So far my faves are Mother, Heart-Shaped Box, Message in a Bottle, Carry On Wayward Son, Monkey Wrench, Them Bones, War Pigs, Cherry Pie, Sweet Child O Mine, and Killing in the Name. Really enjoying this game so far.
Old 11-08-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have this game, but am thinking of getting it.

What's the difference between "hard" and "expert" and the other difficulties? Do the songs go by faster at the higher difficulties?
Old 11-08-06, 09:31 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

From what I can tell, you have more notes at higher difficulties. I'm not sure if the song is faster or not.

In Easy mode, you use the first 3 of the 5 buttons.
In Medium, it adds in the 4th button.
In Hard and Expert it has you using all 5 buttons.

Expert requires some great timing and fingering techniques to get in all the notes played.
Old 11-08-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Yup. Hard isn't really hard per se, but requires you use all 5 buttons. Expert on the other hand, now that's Hard.

In Guitar Hero I, I wound up playing through 3 of the 4 difficulties - (Medium, Hard, Expert.)

Easy is a fantastic mode to learn on, and practically a requirement for first time players, terrific for getting a for the controller.

Medium I played all the way through, it offers a pretty decent challenge and gives you a great feel for the game.

Hard is what I consider the real game, it would be a 'normal' mode by some standards, but you have to build up your playing skills to actually get through it. I still play through the game on this difficulty for random entertainment.

Expert is sort of like a challenge mode, where Hard gives an accurate portrayl of the song tabs, Expert adds something... extra. You'll realize you're playing numerous instruments simultaneously right off the bat, and your fingers will be going everywhere. Good times tho

I strongly, strongly recommend that the first time you play the game you start on Easy for a few tracks and then work your way through all the Medium songs.

Guitar Hero II seems to be a bit easier overall (the hammer ons are just so... smooth now.) but I don't think it's quite as good as GH I for people starting out. Plus, 1 is a little better in terms of track selection and progressive difficulty (working from I Love Rock n' Roll to Cowboys From Hell worked great (Guitar Hero I), working from Woman to Free Bird (Guitar Hero II) works alright, but isn't quite as progressive.) But both are fantastic, extremely entertaining games. And some how I'm flying through the game on Hard yet Trogdor kicks my ass... wtf.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-08-06 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-08-06, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I don't have this game, but am thinking of getting it.

What's the difference between "hard" and "expert" and the other difficulties? Do the songs go by faster at the higher difficulties?
Vryce covered it, basically, but here's how I've always seen it...

Hard, aside from having more complex note patterns than Medium, introduces you to the Orange button. The early songs on Hard only use orange notes every so often, or they'll have sections where there's lots of orange notes, but no green notes, so you're not having to back and forth over the whole range just yet.

Expert has none of those concerns, as it goes all over the place from the get-go, and has more complicated note patterns than Hard. In Expert, you're pretty much playing every note of the song 99% of the time, especially on the later songs.

If you've got any other questions, go ahead and ask. I'm more than happy to convert more people to the cult of GH .
Old 11-08-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got done playing some of the bass/rhythm parts of songs in practice mode. I wish they had made a career mode for them, but maybe next time.

It would be sweet for GH3 if they 40 songs for lead guitar career mode, and 40 different songs for rhythm/bass guitar career mode.

Oh well, I should concrete and worry about GH3 next year. Also, I agree with most everyone that the track list is not quite as special as the first one. There's bigger names on this track list, but the songs just don't match up to the ones from the original.
Old 11-08-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
And some how I'm flying through the game on Hard yet Trogdor kicks my ass... wtf.
I just squeaked by Trogdor on Hard. At one point I nearly failed, but I managed to pull it back. Thankfully it's a short one.
Old 11-08-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got to say it's a very popular game. Went to Best Buy last night to check it out, and the PS2 display was in an aisle that gets low traffic, and there were about a half dozen people sitting there watching and taking turns playing "War Pigs".

Tried "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight", but completely flopped.
Old 11-08-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I strongly, strongly recommend that the first time you play the game you start on Easy for a few tracks and then work your way through all the Medium songs.
I heartily disagree with you on this point. I picked up GH1 and started out on Easy and then progressed to Medium and so forth, thinking you couldn't play the later difficulties until you had "unlocked" them.

I think a first-time player will probably be a better player in the long run if they start out on Hard, or Medium if they can't handle that. Utilizing all 5 fret buttons from the start, and playing on a speed that's not slow as molasses will pay off in the end.
Old 11-08-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Continue GH2 discussion here
Old 11-08-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
I heartily disagree with you on this point. I picked up GH1 and started out on Easy and then progressed to Medium and so forth, thinking you couldn't play the later difficulties until you had "unlocked" them.

I think a first-time player will probably be a better player in the long run if they start out on Hard, or Medium if they can't handle that. Utilizing all 5 fret buttons from the start, and playing on a speed that's not slow as molasses will pay off in the end.
I dunno, I wouldn't suggest someone try to learn to play on Hard, that'd just be frustration out the ass. I also don't recommend playing through the entirity of Easy, because it gets boring as hell after a few tracks. But still say Easy is a great way to get a feel for the guitar for a few tracks (unless you opt to do the actual training instead... but yeah..), but only maybe the first 5 songs. I had a blast playing through Medium the first time (it's too damn easy now) so I still recommend that play through as well. Gets you more bang for the buck as well.
Old 11-08-06, 12:17 PM

I dunno, I wouldn't suggest someone try to learn to play on Hard, that'd just be frustration out the ass. I also don't recommend playing through the entirity of Easy, because it gets boring as hell after a few tracks. But still say Easy is a great way to get a feel for the guitar for a few tracks (unless you opt to do the actual training instead... but yeah..), but only maybe the first 5 songs. I had a blast playing through Medium the first time (it's too damn easy now) so I still recommend that play through as well. Gets you more bang for the buck as well.
IMO, Easy is great for somebody who has had zero rythm game experience. So it's more for teaching the basics of the genre.

I played the heck out of Frequency and Amplitude, so I started on Medium, and that was fine for me. While I wasn't using all the buttons, I was using all fingers, and it was a good chance to learn the controller and the game.
Old 11-17-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah so I got this guitar from a guy a few months back hmmm heck it might have been a year ago. I finally decide to open up the box and nearly sh#t a brick. My guitar doesn't have any strings. That bastard sold me a crappy toy.

Well it was to late to do anythng about it so I decide to play around with it. To my horror I learn that this was some kind of future guitar form the year 2020 and I was chosen to become a guitar hero. But first I would need to practice.

Well practice went badly. I couldn't do anything right and now my hand hurts. Perhaps the timelords, that's what I call them, chose wrongly. I fear the world is doomed . I need to put some ice on my hand.
Old 11-17-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
2/5

Old 12-02-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why exactly is the original Guitar Hero for PS2 still selling for so much? My cousin listed his last week, it sold for $60+, and I just sold mine for $76 before shipping. That's right around what I paid for it brand new when it was first released. Is the first game starting to get rare or something?
Old 12-03-07, 07:14 AM

Hah, this thread is 2 years old, back from the dead.

I'm guessing GH doesn't lose its value because the songs and quality are good.