Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

RE4 for the PS2

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
You saw a $39.99 game for $42.99?
Yup. That's the norm here in Puerto Rico. Most new games are $52.99 or $42.99. Only a rare few (like the recent Pac-Man World 3) are $32.99 when first released. What's worse is that stores like EB and Gamestop are the cheapest you can get games here. Toys R Us and KB Toys sell games for the same prices as EB and Gamestop but stores like Wal-Mart and K-Mart ask from prices closer to $60 for new games.
Old 10-29-05, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
For progressive scan, you need to connect your PS2 to your TV/monitor with a component video cable. I'm not sure how RE4 works (it should say in the manual), but in Soul Calibur III, you hold down X and triangle while the game is booting to make it come up in progressive mode. The video should look considerably better.
Sorry to sound like such a noob, but the component cable you are talking about, is that the digital/optical out cable slot on the back of the PS2? I don't see any other outputs.

Progressive scan should work, I have a brand new 52" Hitachi HD with my PS2 hooked directly into it, its just getting the wiring correctly.

Is this the only thing I need?

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/224939.asp

Last edited by animalmystic; 10-29-05 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-29-05, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by animalmystic
Sorry to sound like such a noob, but the component cable you are talking about, is that the digital/optical out cable slot on the back of the PS2? I don't see any other outputs.

Progressive scan should work, I have a brand new 52" Hitachi HD with my PS2 hooked directly into it, its just getting the wiring correctly.

Is this the only thing I need?

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/224939.asp
That is an S-Video cable you linked to. They are talking about component video. This is what you want:

Link
Old 10-29-05, 05:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jonjj7
That is an S-Video cable you linked to. They are talking about component video. This is what you want:

Link
Hmmmm thanks for the link, glad i checked.

I don't have an extra component output on my TV, (the video 3 the PS2 is hooked into the TV only has the typical red, white yellow inputs) both the compntents are being used by my home theater receiver and the other by my Comcast cable box.

Any suggestions? DO I have something hooked up wrong?

Thanks
Old 10-29-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,203 Likes on 4,230 Posts
Hmmmm thanks for the link, glad i checked.

I don't have an extra component output on my TV, (the video 3 the PS2 is hooked into the TV only has the typical red, white yellow inputs) both the compntents are being used by my home theater receiver and the other by my Comcast cable box.

Any suggestions? Thanks
You can get a switcher with component inputs and output.
Best Buy sells a cheap one by Pelican for $25

Can't find a picture of the cheap one but this is the $100 one
Old 10-29-05, 06:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Decker
You can get a switcher with component inputs and output.
Best Buy sells a cheap one by Pelican for $25

Can't find a picture of the cheap one but this is the $100 one
Thanks Decker!

Another question, would it be better if I got a DVI cable going from the TV to the Comcast box (which would give me better sound/picture anyways when watching TV) which would eliminate the component outputs, then just use those freed up compnent outputs for the PS2 on my video 1? Would that work?

I appreciate the info
Old 10-29-05, 06:57 PM

Absolutely. That would certainly work and improve your HD picture to boot! I'm using my DVI input with my primary DVD player since it up-converts, otherwise that's what I'd do. Fortunately I've got several component inputs in my receiver, so I use that as my switcher.

One more thing : If you go with that $99 switcher from Pelican (which is also sold at Best Buy), be sure to get the newer models with the remote included (it's indicated by a small picture on the side of the box). The cost is the same and it's a whole lot more convenient.

BTW I just played a little in Progressive. It does look much sharper and more HD-like, though some aliasing is now noticeable (especially in close objects like Leon's gun). It's a trade-off I"ll happily take in exchange for more resolution.

And of course, you'll need a new component video out for the PS2. I'm using a super-cheap one I got at BB for $10. It works just fine. Don't overpay for that.
Old 10-29-05, 07:24 PM
Suspended

Absolutely. That would certainly work and improve your HD picture to boot! I'm using my DVI input with my primary DVD player since it up-converts, otherwise that's what I'd do. Fortunately I've got several component inputs in my receiver, so I use that as my switcher.

One more thing : If you go with that $99 switcher from Pelican (which is also sold at Best Buy), be sure to get the newer models with the remote included (it's indicated by a small picture on the side of the box). The cost is the same and it's a whole lot more convenient.

BTW I just played a little in Progressive. It does look much sharper and more HD-like, though some aliasing is now noticeable (especially in close objects like Leon's gun). It's a trade-off I"ll happily take in exchange for more resolution.

And of course, you'll need a new component video out for the PS2. I'm using a super-cheap one I got at BB for $10. It works just fine. Don't overpay for that.

Great thanks for the info, much appreciated Decker!!!

I am off to BB to get a DVI cable and PS2 component cables.

Also suggestions for a DVI cable? My prong count is 24 on the TV and Comcast box, and the Comcast box says DVI-D, anything different there? Should I get the DVI-D or will the DVI work fine?

I am probably going to pass on the Pelican switcher, with the DVI and component cables and going this route, I am not going to need it.

One last question, when the DVI cable is hooked into the video 1, along with the component cables for the PS2, those won't interfere with eachother will they? I have always been used to having video 1 for TV only, then switching over to video 2 for DVD movies/music, then video 3 for PS2, LOL I am so weird like that, I just wanted to make sure that those wouldn't interfere with eachother.

Thanks man I appreciate the info and your knowledge, its probably pretty common stuff for you guys, but for us just getting into HD/ProScan help is always nice.

I have these 2 picked out, both are in stock and available for pickup locally.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...?oid=31566&c=1

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...oid=116055&c=1

Last edited by animalmystic; 10-29-05 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-29-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, again, is the platinum edition worth the extra $10? I've seen it and it looks nice but I'm on the fence about it.
Old 10-29-05, 10:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So, again, is the platinum edition worth the extra $10? I've seen it and it looks nice but I'm on the fence about it.
If you are a sucker for gimmicky stuff (i am) and like the metal case, and a laser lithograph thing of a hot chick holding a gun, with a book of the history of RE, and of course the best part (that I haven't watched yet) is the making of DVD, then yes its worth it.

If you just want the game, and nothing else, skip it.

IMO its worth the extra $10 I say get it Roc!
Old 10-29-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I got to read the book (EB usually never takes any of the documentation out of the cases they remove the discs from to put them on display) and I liked the summary but didn't get to see the laser lithograph (I guess an employee or another customer pocketed it) and, assuming it really goes deep into the making of the game, I do find the extra DVD appealing. I guess I may just get it. I just traded in my two volumes of Mazinkaizer (for a measly $8.40 but no one I knew wanted them so...) so I may just get it afterall. Thanks, animalmystic.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-29-05 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-29-05, 11:23 PM
Suspended

Yeah, I got to read the book (EB usually never takes any of the documentation out of the cases they remove the discs from to put them on display) and I liked the summary but didn't get to see the laser lithograph (I guess an employee or another customer pocketed it) and, assuming it really goes deep into the making of the game, I do find the extra DVD appealing. I guess I may just get it. I just traded in my two volumes of Mazinkaizer (for a measly $8.40 but no one I knew wanted them so...) so I may just get it afterall. Thanks, animalmystic.
No problem man

Just an update on the above discussion RE4 is now up and running in PS mode and it rocks!!
Old 10-30-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With all this RE4 talk, I dusted off the GC and fired it up again. What a great game! I played it straight through from start to finish in one sitting.
Old 10-30-05, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
With all this RE4 talk, I dusted off the GC and fired it up again. What a great game! I played it straight through from start to finish in one sitting.
Old 10-30-05, 09:18 AM

Oh and animalmystic, if you haven't picked up your DVI cable yet, I remember there being something recently in the forum (or maybe CAG) that they were really cheap on sale at Radio Shack (around $13). Of course with RS clearance items YMMV, but it might be worth seeking out.

If you need more info about DVI cables in general, check this link out.
Old 10-30-05, 02:00 PM
Suspended

Oh and animalmystic, if you haven't picked up your DVI cable yet, I remember there being something recently in the forum (or maybe CAG) that they were really cheap on sale at Radio Shack (around $13). Of course with RS clearance items YMMV, but it might be worth seeking out.

If you need more info about DVI cables in general, check this link out.
Thanks Decker!

I did some research online about DVI cables, and ended up getting one, along with my PS2 component at CC. WOW! What a difference, I can't believe I waited so long to get a DVI cable. I guess I never really thought about how cables make such a huge difference, they do.

RE4 in PS looks great! Wow what a difference, even my non PS games look better!

Where is everybody at? I am sure a lot of you have beat this thing, so NO SPOILERS

I am
Spoiler:
just entering the castle, I like what they did with Ashley in this game, she ducks when aiming her way, she doesn't talk much, never whines and stays close, and stays put... Capcom could have made this element sloppy but didn't, awesome, just copped the riot shot gun, semi-auto rifle, and a better handgun, along with a large case + a grip of ammo, I am ready to storm the castle

Plus I have
Spoiler:
4 yellow herb mixes in my arsenal, damn I want to use them to get my health max up, but I gotta save them when I really need them, and I am not sharing them with Ashley, LOL

Just found the
Spoiler:
2nd jewel for the beer stein, can't wait to find the 3rd and sell that bad boy

What does YMMV mean?
Old 10-30-05, 02:42 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does YMMV mean?

Your Mileage May Vary.

i.e. a deal one person got may not be available in your local store.
Old 10-30-05, 03:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Your Mileage May Vary.

i.e. a deal one person got may not be available in your local store.
Sweet thanks Josh!
Old 10-30-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I finally picked this up today. Although I'm certainly entertained, I feel I'm out of my depth here. It's been years since I've last played an RE game and I quickly remembered how nervy I get playing them.

But I'm stuck pretty early on and have sort of a stupid question.
Spoiler:
I'm at the part when Leon scopes the villagers with his binoculars and, after losing my head a few times, I finally nailed the chainsaw fella and got that mini cutscene when you've nailed a few villagers. My problem is that the door the map marks as my destination wont budge, I have some ruby but no idea what to do with it, and I'm outta ammo and herbs. (Yes, I suck.) These guys seem endless but I wonder if have to kill them all before advancing. Is that it? Or what am I missing here?

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-30-05 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-30-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're still in the middle of the village...

Spoiler:
After you kill a certain ammount of villagers, a bell well ring, and the rest of them will leave. After that, you'll be able to leave as well.

But seriously, you've already used all your ammo and herbs?
Old 10-30-05, 10:06 PM
Banned

But I'm stuck pretty early on and have sort of a stupid question.
Spoiler:
I'm at the part when Leon scopes the villagers with his binoculars and, after losing my head a few times, I finally nailed the chainsaw fella and got that mini cutscene when you've nailed a few villagers. My problem is that the door the map marks as my destination wont budge, I have some ruby but no idea what to do with it, and I'm outta ammo and herbs. (Yes, I suck.) These guys seem endless but I wonder if have to kill them all before advancing. Is that it? Or what am I missing here?
Spoiler:
Has the church bell rung yet? After you kill a certain number (15 I think) villagers, the church bell will ring, and the villagers go away. Then you are free to go on. I have not played the game yet, but I have read a lot about it. You are out of ammo already? I had heard from some people that there is a ton of ammo in the game, and you should never really run out. Is that not true?
Old 10-30-05, 10:19 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Spoiler:
I had heard from some people that there is a ton of ammo in the game, and you should never really run out. Is that not true?
Spoiler:
IMO, I think there is a fair amount of ammo in the game, better than average but not too overboard, and not too under. You have to watch what ammo you use on certain creatures though. If you piss away all your shotgun shells on regular villagers, then you are going to get hosed when you have to fight lets say those demon dog things that jump in your shit.

I am 1/4 way throught the castle, I am currently rocking the riot shotgun (40 shells), the semi-auto rifle (15 shells) the blackbird? handgun (65 shells) and that machine gun thing (325 shells) along with the revolver (5 shells) sounds like a lot but you use a lot too.

I love waiting until a guy tries to go through the door then kick it i his face, tight!

Just finished a kick ass intense scene where Ashley is pulling the crank and monks are trying to take her, I was shooting them with the rifle, and blowing away ones that were getting in my grill, it rocked!!!
Old 10-30-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
Yeah, I finally figured it out. I had to enter a building where you find the shotgun. That triggered a cutscene and then, after a few kills, I heard the bell ring. Lucky too as I was reloading my shotgun and didn't notice a chainsaw guy going in for the kill. He was about to sever my head when the bell rang.

Oh and you were right about the platinum edition, animalmystic.
Old 10-30-05, 10:44 PM
Banned

Spoiler:
Yeah, I finally figured it out. I had to enter a building where you find the shotgun. That triggered a cutscene and then, after a few kills, I heard the bell ring. Lucky too as I was reloading my shotgun and didn't notice a chainsaw guy going in for the kill. He was about to sever my head when the bell rang.

Sounds like you were "saved by the bell."
Spoiler:
Grabbing the shotgun is what triggers the appearance of the chainsaw guy. If you wait until after the bell rings, then grab the shotgun, the chainsaw guy never shows up.
Old 10-30-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The shotgun is well worth the risk!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.