Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

RE4 for the PS2

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
RE4 for the PS2

I'm shocked there aren't any threads on this game, since it's out this week. I'm not going to be able to get it for awhile, but I was curious, after reading all the excellent reviews on it, what everyone thinks about the game.
Old 10-27-05, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am definitely looking forward to RE4. I don't own a Gamecube, so I never played the original RE4.
Old 10-27-05, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't received my copy yet, but I am definitely looking forward to it. I even ponyed up the extra ten dollars for the Premium Edition. There's an even more impressive package you can buy from the Capcom website that costs $120. It's pretty sweet though.
Old 10-27-05, 01:46 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The only reason for me to rebuy this is for the true 16x9 widescreen. Other then that, I'm happy with my Cube (Which I prefer the control setup for, since Ive played both versions). The Premium Edition does look slick though. Oh, the chainsaw looks even cooler!
Old 10-27-05, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Previous word was they managed to make it look (graphically) as nice as the cube version. Did this end up being true in the final product?
Old 10-27-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Previous word was they managed to make it look (graphically) as nice as the cube version. Did this end up being true in the final product?
In a word yes, In a few more words the colors arent as bright they look a tad dulled down. But I have to hand it to Capcom for porting it very nicely it looks on par with the GC version. Im happy with the GC version of RE 4 but being the fan of the series I am I'll pick up the PS2 version when its $20.
Old 10-27-05, 02:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The only reason for me to rebuy this is for the true 16x9 widescreen. Other then that, I'm happy with my Cube (Which I prefer the control setup for, since Ive played both versions). The Premium Edition does look slick though. Oh, the chainsaw looks even cooler!
The PS2 version also has the extra "Separate Ways" minigame that was not in the Cube version. The IGN review said it takes 6-8 hours to beat this new minigame. That is as long as some "full" games, and the first three RE games were also 6-8 hours long too. I would almost call Separate Ways RE 4.5 since it is almost like a brand new game.

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
From all the screenshots and videos I have seen, the PS2 version is not quite as good graphically, but it is close. The biggest downside in my opinion is that the PS2 version has really bad lighting effects in comparison to the Cube. The addition of the "Separate Ways" minigame makes up for it though. I prefer more gameplay over graphics any day.
Old 10-27-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Picked mine up last night. I completely hated RE2 for the PS1, but the rapturous reviews have convinced me to try this series again (apparently people don't move like tanks anymore thank God). I don't have a GC, so this is my first shot at this game. I'll post my impressions soon.
Old 10-27-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And to think I bought a GC solely for the RE series. At least I have REmake and RE:0, I guess.
Old 10-27-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to get this sometime in the next 2 months. I don't own a GCube so I'm very excited about playing this, even though I didn't really like any of the previous RE games. Decker, let me know how you like it.
Old 10-27-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm going to wait for the Player's Choice GC version to re-buy this game with the extra content and better graphics . But if you only have a PS2 you should get this game now!
Old 10-27-05, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by theneobez
I'm going to get this sometime in the next 2 months. I don't own a GCube so I'm very excited about playing this, even though I didn't really like any of the previous RE games. Decker, let me know how you like it.
You may have seen/heard it before , but it needs repeating: RE4 is very different from the other RE titles. It's not just the perspective that's changed, but the way the game flows, the focus, the inventory system, even the general feel is different (instead of relying more on "jump" scares, RE4 is more generally "tense"). It's not perfect, but it's still one of the best games I've played in quite a long time.
Old 10-27-05, 09:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Outlaw
I'm going to wait for the Player's Choice GC version to re-buy this game with the extra content and better graphics . But if you only have a PS2 you should get this game now!
Where was it announced that there is going to be another version for the GC? I thought the PS2 extra content was exclusive to the PS2.
Old 10-27-05, 10:58 PM

Is this coming to XBox ?
Old 10-28-05, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by MR ROBOTO 9000
Is this coming to XBox ?
Nope.

I just played a little tonight. It's certainly much better than the old games, but the controls are still kinda funny. The right stick controls the camera, sorta. It'll give you a "peek" around the corner, but that's it. If you draw your gun, it's useless. You have to aim with the left stick and are frozen in place. It's awkward and I don't understand why they don't just have aiming with the right and movement with the left like, um ... every other third-person game in existence. When I pull out the knife, I'll try to fight but instead of backing up, I'll stay in place and aim at the sky while getting attacked with pitchforks. The camera placement seems awful tight to me and gives me a little seasickness with extended movement.
Still, it's early. The game has great presentation and looks wonderful (if a little muted in palate) in widescreen. No aliasing at all. Sound is great. Voice acting is... well, better than the old RE's anyway. I'm glad that ammo isn't absurdly rationed this time. I'll keep playing, that's for sure and it's certainly worth the $26.67 that it'll run you if purchased with two other $39.99 games at TRU this week.
Old 10-28-05, 01:59 AM

The Cube version does indeed have better graphics, but for some ungodly reason does not have 16:9 support (and the entire game is in widescreen). Another reason to go with the PS2 version.
Old 10-28-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
The camera placement seems awful tight to me and gives me a little seasickness with extended movement.
Agree with you completely. This has bothered me quite a bit so far in the short time I've put in on the game. I keep trying to look past the POV character's head to see what is going on in front of him. It does seem to make the game a bit harder than it should be insofar as the POV character is more of an obstruction to seeing where you need to go and who you are fighting.

I wish they had kept the perspective more akin to something like the older PS1 Tomb Raiders, so you have the second person perspective behind the character you are controlling, but so that the action in front of the character isn't quite so obscured.
Old 10-28-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Agree with you completely. This has bothered me quite a bit so far in the short time I've put in on the game. I keep trying to look past the POV character's head to see what is going on in front of him. It does seem to make the game a bit harder than it should be insofar as the POV character is more of an obstruction to seeing where you need to go and who you are fighting.

I wish they had kept the perspective more akin to something like the older PS1 Tomb Raiders, so you have the second person perspective behind the character you are controlling, but so that the action in front of the character isn't quite so obscured.
That's what I thought too at first. But give it a little bit of time. Trust me, you'll get used to it. And then it'll be frickin' awesome...
Old 10-28-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a great game in spite of its somewhat clumsy, though vastly improved, controls - I wonder if Halo-type controls wouldn't solve most of that? From what I've played of the PS2 version, it seems like aiming would be helped by the Cube's far superior analog stick (just a guess). Design-wise, it's a fantastic experience. It's one of a tiny handful of Cube games I'll purchase when the Revolution hits.
Old 10-28-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I saw Resident Evil 4 for $42.99 at EB today. I also saw the Platinum Edition at $52.99. For those who got the latter, is the extra $10 worth it?
Old 10-29-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I saw Resident Evil 4 for $42.99 at EB today. I also saw the Platinum Edition at $52.99. For those who got the latter, is the extra $10 worth it?
You saw a $39.99 game for $42.99?
Old 10-29-05, 05:03 AM
Suspended

This game is sick!

Had this baby reserved since last week, couldn't wait to play it.

I love everything about it, amazing well put together game. Though one thing I never had a problem with in previous RE games, I had more room then items, now I have more items then room and having to constantly use/get rid of stuff, oh well its well worth it.

This game seems really long too.

I bought the premium edition, its cool, it comes in a tin, with a facy book and a like laser animation cell thing of some hot chick in a dress holding a gun. mine is #551/18000

Ok its 3am I gotta go to bed, if yall want more info hit Animal up and I can tell you more about it.

Can somebody fill me in on getting Progressive Scan to work with this game? What do I need? Special wire? It it worth it? Schhol me.

Off to bed
Old 10-29-05, 05:03 AM
Suspended

Whoops double post
Old 10-29-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

For progressive scan, you need to connect your PS2 to your TV/monitor with a component video cable. I'm not sure how RE4 works (it should say in the manual), but in Soul Calibur III, you hold down X and triangle while the game is booting to make it come up in progressive mode. The video should look considerably better.
Old 10-29-05, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
For progressive scan, you need to connect your PS2 to your TV/monitor with a component video cable. I'm not sure how RE4 works (it should say in the manual), but in Soul Calibur III, you hold down X and triangle while the game is booting to make it come up in progressive mode. The video should look considerably better.
Yup, you're right. I just checked the manual and it's the same way here (X + ^). It looked great in widescreen and I'll try this out later tonight to see if I can tell a difference (can't play it when my little one is up).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.