Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part II: El Toucho's Return

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part II: El Toucho's Return

Original can be found here.

To pick up where the last ended: any word on whether Electroplankton will have any additions? IIRC, you can't save in the original.
Old 10-25-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of my local TRUs got 5 teal and 6 pink bundles in today. Have them holding one of the pink for me
Old 10-25-05, 04:55 PM

Lucky you....were they out on the shelf or did you have to ask about them?
Old 10-25-05, 06:07 PM

The toys r us near detroit, MI (near the westland mall) had a few of each this afternoon.
Old 10-25-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got Advance Wars DS the other day. I'm not sure if the touch screen is more efficient but I actually like using it quite a lot. Only finished the first tutorial mission so no comment on the game itself.
Old 10-26-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Erillian
Lucky you....were they out on the shelf or did you have to ask about them?
It's about 20 miles out of my way, so I made sure I called before I went. When I actually got there, they still hadn't put any of them out, but they sold me the one they were holding in the back. I like it, but it isn't as "pink" as I thought it would be. More of a metallic pink. The wife and I had some fun pictochatting last night
Old 10-26-05, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12546

New deal brings handwriting abilities to Nintendo DS

Rob Fahey 15:42 26/10/2005

Zi Corporation's technology adds yet another string to the DS' bow

The Nintendo DS handheld console has added handwriting recognition to its impressive arsenal of unique features, with a deal being announced this week with Zi Corporation to bring the Decuma handwriting technology to the platform.

This will enable developers of DS games to integrate handwriting recognition into their games - and not just in English, either, since the Decuma system supports not only the Roman alphabet but also traditional and simplified Chinese, and the Japanese hiragana, katakana and kanji alphabets.

Although no actual products have been announced that use the system, the technology deal is very significant since it opens the doors for game developers to use the system as they see fit in their products.

"As the leading provider of handheld video game systems in the world, Nintendo has a reputation for adopting innovative technologies that improve the user's experience with its products," explained Zi Corporation's CTO Milos Djokovic.

"With Decuma, Nintendo DS users will experience natural handwriting recognition previously only available to PDA and smartphone users. Zi continues to bring its multi-modal input products to leading mobile phones, gaming platforms and smartphones across the globe."

One obvious use for the handwriting recognition technology is in the "Brain Training" series of software products for the Nintendo DS, which provide a range of logic and intelligence based trials and have proved enormously popular in Japan since their launch last summer.

Chris
Old 10-26-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I picked up Polarium and Atari Retro Classics. The Atari one sucks. I'm not into that kind of stuff, I found out.

Polarium is AWESOME. The challenge mode is too fast for me but I'll get better with practice I'm sure. I'm making my way through the puzzles.
Old 10-26-05, 02:25 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Picked up a Pink Nintendogs DS bundle at TRU today, they seemed to have plenty in stock. Will hold onto it to give to my youngest daughter for Christmas.
Old 10-26-05, 05:11 PM

Scored Pac Pix for 10 bucks today at Kay Bee. Nice.
Old 10-26-05, 05:32 PM

Is the pink DS white or grey underneath?
Old 10-26-05, 06:33 PM

http://www.nintendogs.com/bundle/index_pink.html

Looks like it is either dark grey or black underneath. Neither of which looks better than the candy pink with white bottom one that Japan has.
Old 10-26-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12546
"With Decuma, Nintendo DS users will experience natural handwriting recognition previously only available to PDA and smartphone users. Zi continues to bring its multi-modal input products to leading mobile phones, gaming platforms and smartphones across the globe."
I had Decuma on my Sony Clie PDA and it does work fairly well, but I still found it less efficient than good old Grafitti from Palm.

However, its very customizable and could be excellent with a little practice. This is really important in Japan because Decuma works very well with Kanji.
Old 10-26-05, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
I had Decuma on my Sony Clie PDA and it does work fairly well, but I still found it less efficient than good old Grafitti from Palm.

However, its very customizable and could be excellent with a little practice. This is really important in Japan because Decuma works very well with Kanji.
darkside do you know if I can write chinese instead of english in my pda?
Old 10-26-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gameover2k2
darkside do you know if I can write chinese instead of english in my pda?
I don't think it is possible without having the ROM for the Chinese version and flashing it to your PDA. I know many people used to import Clies from Japan and would have to get the US ROM when it was released to convert it to English.

I'm not an expert on this though. You might try some of the PDA enthusiast websites for people with more knowledge of this.
Old 10-27-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got my Phoenix Wright order from Capcom, and it included all the goodies that you guys got . A big to Capcom!
Old 10-27-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doom and variants (Heretic, Hexen) are being ported to the DS via homebrew (since the source code was released years ago) with possible graphical updates. You'll still need to original games to get the WAD files from, but the thought of Heretic and Hexen on the go is very sexy. I liked the stylus control on the Metroid demo so hopefully they can incorporate that into it along with wireless multi-player.
Old 10-27-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I just bought a compatible wireless card for $20 and got the DS port of SCUMM VM running on my DS. I guess I'll be putting Castlevania aside for a while and playing Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders. Ah, point-and-click adventure games, I missed you so.
Old 11-02-05, 05:16 PM

So I'm listening to the goNintendo.com podcast today at work and I almost turded my pants. The goNintendo guys were answering fan letters and the first one they read came from a "darkside". Just thought it was funny and worth mentioning. Congrats dorkside.
Old 11-02-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Might have already been posted but the Red DS bundle is coming out on the 28th. It will come with Mario Cart DS wifi enable game, wrist strap, and but ugly flame decals. Looks pretty sharp.
Old 11-03-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah for me.
The extremely popular Brain games for DS are coming to America. Also: a new Micro color...

One of the big news items out of Nintendo's ongoing press event in Redmond is that both of Nintendo's Brain games are being localized for a North American release under the names Brain Training and Brain Flex. Both games have been best sellers in Japan, with particularly high sales to older DS owners. Release dates for these games will be forthcoming.

In other news, NOA has confirmed that a new color for the Game Boy Micro is headed to North America. It's based on the Famicom 20th Anniversary version of the Micro that has been so popular in Japan, but currently, it's not clear whether the American version will look the same or be modified in some way. It could even look like the NES instead of the Famicom. We'll have more details soon!
Old 11-03-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mario Kart impressions:

http://my.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145379&did=1

Mario Kart videos:

http://media.gba.gamespy.com/media/6...77/vids_1.html
Old 11-03-05, 05:14 PM
Retired

Looks fantastic.

Will have to hold off for a while. Too busy to need a time sink like that right now.
Old 11-03-05, 05:36 PM

Super Princess Peach is coming to America on February 27. Just heard that and wanted to pass it along for the people on the fence about importing it. The wait really isn't that long, so I've decided not to import and get the US version.

Also, the official date for Metroid Prime Hunters is 3/20.
Old 11-03-05, 05:38 PM
Retired

Cool, glad Peach got bumped. Too many DS games I need to catch up on and so little time. Sooo swamped with work and school now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.