Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DVD Talk video game draft

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD Talk video game draft

In the past few months we've seen 2 DVD drafts and a TV draft, so it seems it's now time for a video game draft. The basic rules are starting at a given time daily, people post what video game they draft, without regard to any draft order, and after 10 rounds of pick people's collections are matched up and people vote on their favorites.

My proposed rules
Only console games, no computer or arcade games
Maximum of 2 games from any given console
Multiplatform games can be drafted by different people for different systems
Games must be released at time of being drafted, release date goes by gamespot.com
Maximum of 16 collections

Last edited by cleaver; 10-24-05 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in, sounds fun.
Old 10-24-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds like fun, I am in.

Re: the proposed rules--I dont like the "At least 1 game from 8-bit era, 16-bit era, 32/64-bit era, current era, and 1 portable game" rule. Way too complicated. The 2 games per console rule will get the desired results from your proposed rule.
Old 10-24-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
I think the portable game requirement should be scrapped. But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-05, 11:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My two cents:

1. Computer games should be allowed. Otherwise, you're blocking out a truckload of great games.

2. I don't think it's necessary to "force" variety in the collections by limiting us to a maximum of 2 games per console, or by making us draft from multiple eras. If somebody wants to draft an "All 3DO" collection, more power to them, I say.

3. What about multi-console games. What if Player A drafts "Spider-Man 3 (Xbox360)" and Player B drafts ("Spider-Man 3 (PS3)")

4. What about unreleased games?
Old 10-24-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
My two cents:

1. Computer games should be allowed. Otherwise, you're blocking out a truckload of great games.

2. I don't think it's necessary to "force" variety in the collections by limiting us to a maximum of 2 games per console, or by making us draft from multiple eras. If somebody wants to draft an "All 3DO" collection, more power to them, I say.

3. What about multi-console games. What if Player A drafts "Spider-Man 3 (Xbox360)" and Player B drafts ("Spider-Man 3 (PS3)")

4. What about unreleased games?
I'll try to answer his question, or give my opinions:
1. Yep, allow them....although, only TWO per person (Although, I like CONSOLE ONLY....so, leave it at that, it's his draft)

2. Might want to bump to 3 games per system.....I know a LOT of people have never played some of the older stuff

3. Allow it...in the DVD draft, people could select Lords of the Rings regualr and extended.

4. Only games released NOW (however, if new games come out during the week, those are fair game too)
Old 10-24-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Should require a selection from the Atari era..
Old 10-24-05, 12:07 PM

I updated the rules based on some of the arguments being made. There's a number of reasons I don't want to allow computer games, topping the list being 2 people will have 2 different experiences with a game on 2 different computers.
Old 10-24-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm down. There's a Music Forum draft that just started too.

Last edited by mano365; 10-24-05 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe we should limit multiple choices from the same game franchise, otherwise you might get someone picking all the mario's or zelda games. Could be unfair, you know?
Old 10-24-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mano365
Maybe we should limit multiple choices from the same game franchise, otherwise you might get someone picking all the mario's or zelda games. Could be unfair, you know?
That is why you pick in ROUNDS.....1 choice per round. Thus, it makes it fair. You don't say I want these 10 games and go with it. If someone ends up with all the Mario games, so be it
Old 10-24-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in
Old 10-24-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Computer games should be allowed, however since this forum is console-centric, when voting comes around something tells me a lot of people will overlook great computer games.

There needs to more then 2 games per console.
Old 10-25-05, 10:47 AM

If anyone takes all Marios/Zeldas/Street Fighters let them, I won't vote them.

The 2 games per console max forces people to look toward older systems for selections.

I plan on starting the draft 11 AM EST Thursday 10/27. Anyone with concerns/questions please continue to post with any arguments for rule addendums.
Old 10-25-05, 12:25 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm having fun in the Music draft, so I'm in on this one.
Old 10-25-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cleaver
The 2 games per console max forces people to look toward older systems for selections.
I don't see a need to "force" people to pick anything. If someone can pick all Mario games, they sure as heck should be able to pick all 3DO games as Groucho suggested.
Old 10-25-05, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't see a need to "force" people to pick anything. If someone can pick all Mario games, they sure as heck should be able to pick all 3DO games as Groucho suggested.
I think people shouldn't be able to draft 10 XBox games, though.
Old 10-26-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

draft tomorrow, anyone else getting geared up?
Old 10-26-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Leave the rules as they are....if people bitch, they can start their own draft

Are we drafting in THIS thread?
Old 10-26-05, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Leave the rules as they are....if people bitch, they can start their own draft

Are we drafting in THIS thread?
No, I'll post the official rules sometime today, start a thread tomorrow a couple of minutes before 11, and drafting will commence at 11.

Also, you can only draft 1 iteration in a series on a console, for example only 1 Street Fighter 2 for SNES no matter the alphabet soup that follows, only 1 Metal Gear Solid 2 for PS2, and I'm leaning toward allowing games to be drafted on seperate platforms. Game Boy and Game Boy Color will be considered the same system, Game Boy Advance is its own system. No compilations of any kind are allowed; their must be an obvious game you play, so Doom 3 CE XBox is draftable (despite having Doom and Doom 2) but then Doom 3 XBox won't be.
Old 10-26-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, could we draft Doom3 CE (XBOX), then the Doom3 :Resurrection of Evil expansion?
Old 10-26-05, 10:38 AM

So, could we draft Doom3 CE (XBOX), then the Doom3 :Resurrection of Evil expansion?
No because there's not a new number at the end. So if someone drafted NBA Jam for SNES, you couldn't draft NBA Jam Tournament Edition. Same goes for Halo 2 + Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack, Ninja Gaiden + Ninja Gaiden Black, Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty + MGS 2 Substance, and other similar pairings. But if someone drafted Burnout Revenge XBox someone else could draft Burnout 3. Same goes Toejam & Earl Genesis + Toejam & Earl Planet Funkotron and any other true sequel. It gets fuzzy - like Rainbow Six 3 and Rainbow Six 3 Black Arrow can't both be drafted for XBox, but one of them could get drafted with Rainbow Six Lockdown. The key thing is they both can't have the same number in them (like for SF2), and they can't be expansion packs/different editions of predominantly the same game (like Elder Scrolls for XBox)/publishers screwing over gamers while biding their time to release a legitimate sequel (Street Fighter 2).
Old 10-26-05, 10:44 AM

I specifically mention Doom 3 as an example of where another game is included as a special feature but it isn't a compilation. It occured to me last night there are quite a few games like this (Metroid Zero Mission and Doom 3 were the 2 I thought of) and the inclusion of features like these should add to the greatness of the game.
Old 10-26-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, who's gonna pick Custer's Revenge?
Old 10-26-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I shall prepare my list tonight in anticipation for this. The music draft is fun. I kind of think that people should be able to pick more than 2 games/console. I think the person who drafts 10 x-box games won't make it out of the first round. I know I wouldn't vote for them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.