Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Final Fantasy IV to GBA!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got this yesterday.

Best thing about this version: they kept the "spoony bard" translation.
Old 12-26-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 727 Posts
Good lord. The final dungeon is kicking my ass. Guess I have to do some leveling. What characters did you all chose as your final group?
Old 12-27-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I'm back at work I'll probably be on my way to fight the Big Z during today or tomorrow's breaks. I've got Cecil, Edge, Edward, Porom and Palom.. all about level 70. The first bonus dungeon you'll have to go through at least twice as the last room has an "ultimate" weapon for each of the old characters and you need them in your party to fight the guardian to get the weapon. There's also new armors and helmets for everyone too.. though I've found some rare drops on the moon that are still better. Pink Puff is now called Flan Princess.
Old 12-27-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I picked this up yesterday, and I'm sorta disappointed so far. The music sounds equal to or better than I remember, but the sound effects and animation seem really hollow and flat (though it's probably just because I'm playing it on a regular TV using the Game Boy Player). I played the SNES version to death back when it first came out, so maybe the port is just giving me "culture shock".

I dont know...it just doesn't "feel" right, if that makes any sense.
Old 12-27-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Been playing this off and on for the last 2 days. I just got done getting the Sand Ruby to cure Rosa. I spent at least an hour fighting Imps...errr Goblins trying to get the Goblin summon for Rydia. Didn't get it. Then thought maybe they took out the random summons but when I checked the Bestiary it showed it was one of the treasures they dropped. So I'll keep trying.

A little tip to those who never played this game before -- When you first get Rydia in your party her level is around 5 and she doesn't have a very big mana pool so she's extremely limited to the number of spells she can cast. A good way to conserve mana until you need it is to have her use the Ice rod, which you get in the cave north of Kaipo, where you first meet Tellah. If you use the Ice rod as an item it casts Blizzard spell on a single target. I found it to be pretty useful and there are hardly any mobs around that area that are immune to ice. Of course as you level up her mana pool gets bigger, still it's nice to conserve mana when you can. It will at least do more damage than if you just did a regular attack using the same rod.

As far as my early impressions of the game go -- Graphics are nice, sound could be better and the slow down in battles suck but it doesn't happen all the time. I like that each character has his/her own unique ability. I've noticed quite a few name changes and items I never saw in the SNES version which I don't mind and are actually kind of cool. Enjoying it so far. Gives me something to do while I'm at work.
Old 12-28-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the "real" bonus dungeon is pretty cool so far. From what I gather, you'll have to go through it a few times to get everything from it.. because every few floors there's a character specific challenge and not only do you have to have that character in your group at the time, that character had to be part of your group when you beat Zeromus. Since there are 10 characters and you HAVE to have Cecil, that means minimally you'll have to beat Zeromus 3 times and go through the bonus dungeon three times.

The first challenge I completed was for Edward.. you get an arm bracer that changes his Sing command to Chant, which casts Protect and Shell on the entire party.. and since his agility is so high it's usually the first thing you can do. Edward rocks! I did get another new harp for him but it broke.. not sure if there was a way to keep it since the item was part of the challenge.. oh well, the Apollo harp is just dangerous as is (especially against dragons).
Old 12-28-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where did you go to level up your guys into the 70's? Or did you just level up for many hours? My party is around 50ish and I'm still getting my ass handed to me in the final dungeon. Even some of the bosses in the cave of trials are hurting me pretty bad.
Old 12-28-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I guess I'm getting used to the small changes now---the dialogue more than makes up for it.

I just changed into a Paladin and I've started to level up on my own (see my earlier post #128 for the reason why). I've only logged about four hours of play time and I'm already close to level 40---and once I reach 50, I'm going to go hand the Water Element his ass.
Old 12-29-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't level up much near the end of the game.. I just fought every battle that came at me. I know I did some leveling before going to the magnetic cave and a little bit at the Tower of Babel.. but that's about it. If the bonus dungeon really does have 50 floors I'm sure I'll be 99 by the time I make one full trip at this point.
Old 12-29-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been spending quite a few hours leveling in the final dungeon. I'm up to about 58ish for my final 5. I never ran from a battle either. There were a few parts were I didn't level and just went through the areas. I could probably get through to the end as I am now, but I want to spend some more time. I would like to have Rydia learn Meteor.
Old 12-29-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got Ragnarok. I'm really debating going back to get the Pink Tail. I don't need it, but I want to get everything I can.
Old 01-03-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I hadn't played this in a few days, but last night I went from getting the first Airship (after beating Cagnazzo) clear to finishing the Cave of Trials (after beating the Giant of Babel) in just over 5 hours. Maybe I'll try for Zeromus later in the week.

By the way, I stumbled upon a very odd and annoying glitch. I was going to fight Odin, but in the middle of talking to him, he just disappeared and won't show up again. Any help?
Old 01-15-06, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipped a few things

I've defeated the giant of babel, but i think i skipped a few things. i finally decided to go to the land of summons, because i don't know what to do on the moon, but none of my party members know reflect, so i can't beat asura. i'm wondering if i have to go there at all, because on a boss list it says she's one, so i'm not sure. on that boss list i'm pretty sure it's in order (all the others were in the order i battled them in) and between asura and CPU has some centaur knight thing that is in baron castle, so i don't know what I'm supposed to do. can anyone correct me on my stupidity?

Oh yeah, and i've done one boss in the cave of trials, and got cid's weapon. but i wasn't sure if i was supposed to be there, and i couldn't beat any others, so i left. i probably need to finish the cave..........

Last edited by Kupoku; 01-15-06 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-16-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm at Edge's Lunar Trial but haven't gone back to the game in about a week. My friend dropped off some graphic novels for me to borrow which are taking up my bathroom time and I've been walking during my breaks at work so my GBA is on the backburner at the moment.
Old 02-17-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, do you just get the Persius Bow and Arrows in Rosa's Lunar trial?