DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Final Fantasy IV to GBA!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/437980-final-fantasy-iv-gba.html)

PixyJunket 09-14-05 08:40 PM

Final Fantasy IV to GBA!!

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/650/650891p1.html

joshd2012 09-14-05 08:46 PM

Another SNES port to GBA. http://www.rpgforums.net/images/smilies/yawn.gif

darkside 09-14-05 08:46 PM

Great news, but what the hell happened to FF III on the DS?

PixyJunket 09-14-05 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
Great news, but what the hell happened to FF III on the DS?

Well III is getting full remake treatment, this will be a quick port I guess.

darkside 09-14-05 09:00 PM

Its a port, but its a port of a hell of a game and its got some new stuff. I've got no problem plunking down money on a quality game, port or not.

Ralph Wiggum 09-14-05 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by joshd2012

OMG, Kenmore refrigerators suxx0rz...im soooo awesome cuz I buy Maytag!!1!

I'll never understand why Square wasn't far more aggressive in the GBA market, given what a disaster their console production has been after their terrible movie.

Outlaw 09-14-05 09:55 PM

I'm buying this! i love this game

glassdragon 09-14-05 09:57 PM

OMG This is my favorite game of all time. I may actually buy a gba for this. Especially for the new stuff

Josh H 09-14-05 10:24 PM

Never played that one. I'm dying for a port of Final Fantasy VI (III in the US).

kvrdave 09-14-05 11:54 PM

Cool. Doesn't this type of game seem like a natural for the DS to you? Map on one and game on the other? Either way, I'll pick this up.

Superboy 09-15-05 02:40 AM

they should have already brought all their SNES RPGs to the GBA.

joshd2012 09-15-05 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
OMG, Kenmore refrigerators suxx0rz...im soooo awesome cuz I buy Maytag!!1!

WTF are you talking about?

huh? 09-15-05 07:12 AM

I think he's reffering to the fact that you continue to come into threads about consoles and games you don't own just to give negative posts and add nothing to the topic at hand. It just leaves people to think that you are just an angry sony fanboy with too much time on your hands.

the whole "my product is better than your product" angle.

joshd2012 09-15-05 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by huh?
I think he's reffering to the fact that you continue to come into threads about consoles and games you don't own just to give negative posts and add nothing to the topic at hand. It just leaves people to think that you are just an angry sony fanboy with too much time on your hands.

the whole "my product is better than your product" angle.

I own a GBA-SP Limited Edition Classic Series and the only games I have for it are ports. I'm bored with it and haven't touched it since I got my PSP.

And when have I ever said that porting games was good for the PSP but bad for everything else?

PixyJunket 09-15-05 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
Its a port, but its a port of a hell of a game and its got some new stuff. I've got no problem plunking down money on a quality game, port or not.

Truth.

That said, I'm am a little disappointed that it'll be mostly a straight port (at least from the context of this news entry). I do hope there are some minor graphical touch-ups mainly in the text menus, ie: making the text variable width and giving it an outline or shadow to make it easier to read. Other than that.. I'm pretty damn sure I've suggested bringing the SNES Final Fantasy games to GBA for some time now so I've got no complaints.

Some things to think about:
1. Will they use the available PS1 translation or give it another clean up? I'd love to see the items, spells and monsters in their original names like in Dawn of Souls. If I recall, the PS1 re-translation kept the SNES naming convention and simply redid the dialogue.

2. Are V and VI to follow? It would be so nice to have all but one of the Nintendo era Final Fantasy games on one system without the flaws that the Playstation ports brought with them (which were mostly in VI, bad load times and screwed up music).

Anyway, I'm excited, I love this game to death.

The question now is should I sell my five copies of the SNES game since it may be in less demand after the GBA release? :lol:

PixyJunket 09-15-05 09:43 AM

Oh, one more thing: DO NOT TOUCH THE MUSIC ON THIS GAME!

The "improved" music on Dawn of Souls really killed the original tunes in my opinion, most notably of which is one of my favorite Final Fantasy songs of all time, the main theme (overworld) to part II. Totally destroyed in the remake. Most of the music was tolerable and the new boss themes in part I were nice, but overall the music was WAY too busy.

daniel18 09-15-05 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by glassdragon
OMG This is my favorite game of all time. I may actually buy a gba for this. Especially for the new stuff

Why not DS, especially now that they've dropped the price? GBA games look much better on the DS.

bigsoos 09-15-05 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Never played that one. I'm dying for a port of Final Fantasy VI (III in the US).

I thought FFII was the best story in the series. I got FFI and II for the GBA, and I'm almost done through FFI. The GBA version kicks ass. Fighting the old bosses from other FF games w/ the FFI heros is interesting, but you dont get much in return. Can't wait for FFIII.

Setzer 09-15-05 11:31 AM

YES! Pink Puffs!! :D :D

Awesome news. I just ordered a DS to play Castlevania: DoS and now I'll get to use it to play my 2nd favorite FF game in the series.

Gallant Pig 09-15-05 11:43 AM

I own a GBA-SP Limited Edition Classic Series and the only games I have for it are ports. I'm bored with it and haven't touched it since I got my PSP.

And when have I ever said that porting games was good for the PSP but bad for everything else?

<b>Read my deletion above. Any more off topic posts or replies will result in a suspension, thanks</b>

joshd2012 09-15-05 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
<b>Read my deletion above. Any more off topic posts or replies will result in a suspension, thanks</b>

:confused: Am I missing a post? I don't see your comments.

Gallant Pig 09-15-05 12:30 PM

:confused: Am I missing a post? I don't see your comments.

<b>My bad, I thought users could read deletion comments, I guess not.

Anyway guys, this goes for everyone, let's stay ontrack, no more PSP vs DS/GBA.

Thanks</b>

glassdragon 09-15-05 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by daniel18
Why not DS, especially now that they've dropped the price? GBA games look much better on the DS.

Because I think the DS is a gimmick and don't really want one personally.

Josh H 09-15-05 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Because I think the DS is a gimmick and don't really want one personally.

Fair enough. But he's right in that the screen is much better and GBA games look a ton better on the DS than on the GBA or SP.

There are some non gimmicky games on the way like Castlevania and the new Mario side scroller.

darkside 09-15-05 03:15 PM

I'm not sure why, but when I bought all of the available FF remakes for the PSone I could never really get into them. I gave up quickly on FFI and FFII on the PSone and just put it down to all the random battles.

However, I gave FFI and FFII another try on the GBA and I ended up loving them once I finally got serious and played them. Maybe these older games work better as portable games or maybe the GBA ports are better. Either way I'm happy that FFIV is coming since I still haven't played that one yet on the PSone.

I will keep the PSone versions since some day I may get the urge to play them, but I'm also hoping that FF V, FF VI, Chrono Trigger and even Super Mario RPG get a GBA release.

I've definitely enjoyed the old SNES RPGs and SNES style new RPGS more than anything else on the GBA.