Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I have taken a step back in time....just purchased a Nintendo 64.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you read it right, I purchased a Nintendo 64.

When i was growing up it was always Playstation Playstation Playstation, I never got the chance to get into the N64. I was missing out.

After finding out that Zelda OoT got a perfect 10 from Gamespot, I had to investigate, and decided to relive what I missed out on.

Mario 64
Zelda series
Goldeneye

These are classics, i can't wait to play them, should have it early next week.

Any other games I should check into while experiencing this system for the first time
Old 09-07-05, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Perfect Dark
Old 09-07-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Paper Mario
Old 09-07-05, 02:58 PM
Banned

Don't forget that memory pack thing. I'm pretty sure you need it for Perfect Dark.
Old 09-07-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by animalmystic
When i was growing up it was always Playstation Playstation Playstation.
Oh, wow.
Old 09-07-05, 03:10 PM

Starfox

Mario Kart 64
Old 09-07-05, 03:41 PM

the banjo games
Old 09-07-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

These are classics, i can't wait to play them, should have it early next week.

Any other games I should check into while experiencing this system for the first time

The answer you seek exists in this thread: What are the best N64 games?

From Rare:
Goldeneye
Blast Coprs (brilliant game, needs a sequel)
Jet Force Gemini
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Perfect Dark
Donkey Kong 64 (not terribly original, but enjoyable enough)
Diddy Kong Racing (see above)

Nintendo
Mario 64
Zelda: OOT
Starfox
Mario Kart 64
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Waverace
F-Zero X
Mario Party 1 (again, they all went to shit after this one)

Other
Star Wars: Pod Racer
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (they all went to shit after this one)
THQ's: WCW vs. NWO games (I hate wrestling, but they were fun)
Bio-Tetis (import) earpiece attachment reads your heart rate and speeds up/slows down the game rate according to your heartbeat.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-08-05 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-07-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dr. Mario 64, if you have friends.
Old 09-07-05, 05:02 PM
Suspended

EXCELLENT! Thanks for the suggestions all, much appreciated
Old 09-07-05, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Oh, wow.

My sentiments exactly. I mean when I was growing up it was all Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo!
Old 09-07-05, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by SteelgearX
My sentiments exactly. I mean when I was growing up it was all Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo!
Bah, I remember playing my parents' Pong, Atari and Coleco machines while I was growing up, so there
Old 09-07-05, 10:21 PM
GFM

What? No mention of Conker's Bad Fur Day. Phillistines!!!!!

I can still remember unwrapping my Atari 2600 Christmas Morning 1981. Man, were my brother and I stoked.
Old 09-07-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ogre Battle 64
Old 09-07-05, 10:40 PM

The New Tetris is one of the best versions of the puzzle game, evar!

Like some of the Star Wars games (Racer, Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo)

Really liked the original Ken Griffey game on N64. Also vouch for Pilotwings 64, a crusty oldie but goodie.
Old 09-07-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally Posted by xVladx
Bah, I remember playing my parents' Pong, Atari and Coleco machines while I was growing up, so there
I played my OWN Pong, Atari and Coleco games...

Man, I feel old now.
Old 09-07-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by GFM
What? No mention of Conker's Bad Fur Day. Phillistines!!!!!
Well by that point most of us had probably traded/sold our 64 for $$ to put down on the Gamecube. At least that was the case with me and some friends.

Star Wars: Pod Racer, forgot about that one. Pretty solid game.
Old 09-07-05, 11:21 PM
GFM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well by that point most of us had probably traded/sold our 64 for $$ to put down on the Gamecube.
That's true. Project 64 introduced me to Conker. I'd long since ditched my console.
Old 09-08-05, 12:31 AM
Suspended

Shit this is quite the list of games, damn I didn't know the N64 had such a quality selection. By the time I finish with these the PS9 is gonna be out.

I just looked up the above posters suggest of Perfect Dark, and damn, Gamespot gave it a 9.9!! Goldeneye 9.8, Banjo Tooie 9.6, Zelda 10! shit these are some of the highest scores I have ever seen for games, and for games/system that came out years ago, I never knew. I feel I have been living in a cave or something, damn you friends of mine that pushed the PS on me.

I mean damn, these scores are rating higher than GTA:SA and GoW shit.

I seriously can't wait to get the system, I feel ancient for even stepping back, but knowing I am missing out on all these games isn't right. Its gonna rock.

Thanks for the suggestions yall
Old 09-08-05, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Another for Goldeneye and the SW games like Rogue Squadron and Pod Racer.
Old 09-08-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xVladx
And we made our parents pay, what, $200 for those bad boys?

I remember the pong/pinball console, with the knob in the middle and the "flipper" buttons, one on each side of the console.
Old 09-08-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congrats, your in for alot fun times! Add Banjo Kazooie, that game oozes so much charm and fun its amazing. Sadly the second one is the total opposite.
Old 09-08-05, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Shit this is quite the list of games, damn I didn't know the N64 had such a quality selection. By the time I finish with these the PS9 is gonna be out.

I just looked up the above posters suggest of Perfect Dark, and damn, Gamespot gave it a 9.9!! Goldeneye 9.8, Banjo Tooie 9.6, Zelda 10! shit these are some of the highest scores I have ever seen for games, and for games/system that came out years ago, I never knew. I feel I have been living in a cave or something, damn you friends of mine that pushed the PS on me.

I mean damn, these scores are rating higher than GTA:SA and GoW shit.

I seriously can't wait to get the system, I feel ancient for even stepping back, but knowing I am missing out on all these games isn't right. Its gonna rock.

Thanks for the suggestions yall

Yeah, you missed out, but at least you get to see what you missed out on. Perfect Dark is amazing. It's the follow up to the superb Goldeneye, only it's even better, IMO. The multiplayer is amazing (my favorite part actually). PD is probably my all time favorite video game. 10/10 from me.

When we first got Goldeneye my best friend and I were mesmerized. It was so incredible to us. We played the hell out of it and then Perfect Dark when it came out. I can't wait for Perfect Dark Zero for the X-Box 360. It's been a really long wait. I don't know if it'll be the same without the N64 controllers though. They were perfect for Goldeneye and PD, because it felt more like you were holding a gun. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get it.

I'm not a big fan of first person shooter games, but I loved Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. They perfected the FPS style.
Old 09-08-05, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
Yeah, you missed out, but at least you get to see what you missed out on. Perfect Dark is amazing. It's the follow up to the superb Goldeneye, only it's even better, IMO. The multiplayer is amazing (my favorite part actually). PD is probably my all time favorite video game. 10/10 from me.

When we first got Goldeneye my best friend and I were mesmerized. It was so incredible to us. We played the hell out of it and then Perfect Dark when it came out. I can't wait for Perfect Dark Zero for the X-Box 360. It's been a really long wait. I don't know if it'll be the same without the N64 controllers though. They were perfect for Goldeneye and PD, because it felt more like you were holding a gun. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get it.

I'm not a big fan of first person shooter games, but I loved Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. They perfected the FPS style.
Very cool! Can't wait.
Old 09-08-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just looked up the above posters suggest of Perfect Dark, and damn, Gamespot gave it a 9.9!! Goldeneye 9.8, Banjo Tooie 9.6, Zelda 10! shit these are some of the highest scores I have ever seen for games,
One thing you have to consider is that some games age better than others. FPSs on consoles have come a long way since Goldeneye, and GE just does not stand up very well these days. I never did play perfect dark but I would suspect the same of that game.

Banjo Tooie.. hmm well I always throught Banjo Kazooie was vastly overrated, Mario 64 is really where its at. Never did play Tooie.

Zelda, well I've played this one quite recently, and its still absolutely golden. Even the draw distances are still remarkable coming from a time when n64 games were competing to see how much fog they could cram onto a screen.

Other games that hold up are Mario 64, and Blastcorps. I also prefer Mariokart 64 to DoubleDash. For F-Zero I would probably just stick with the GC version.

Generally, I wouldn't automatically assume a game that once got 10s is still going to hold up today. Also consider that some peoples opinions are purely from their fond memories of playing the game, when they may not have played the game in the last 5 years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.