Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Price of Xbox360 and GameBoy Micro announced

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stripped down version ruins everything. Not only does it not have a hardrive but it makes the hardrive in the bundle version almost worthless since it won't be fully supported. A better pricing plan would be something similar to:

Xbox w/ 10 GB hardrive and no extras - $300 to $320

Xbox w/ 20 GB hardrive and extras- $400
Old 08-18-05, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Sadly true. Just more proof that as a whole north american gamers tastes have drifted far from my own. I really think the bulk of them wouldn't know a good game if it bit them in the as as they're too busy playing the 900th GTA clone or hip hop racing game.
There is truth to this, but the tech on the PSP is also part of it. I have yet to run into anyone that bought a PSP for its games. They are buying it for all the other stuff it does. However, I have talked to many people that are avoiding the DS for its games. I personally have enjoyed the DS lineup and its a huge success in Japan, however, what you touched on is correct. The DS is not going to be able to deliver quality sports, FPS, and 3rd person shooter games. Right there Nintendo has lost a huge portion of American gamers that want those kinds of games. The PSP will be able to deliver those at a near console level.

The PSP lost its luster for me almost immediately. However, one of those reasons is I also own a Tapwave Zodiac. It can already do all the non UMD things the PSP can do only much better. If I didn't already own a cool multimedia device the PSP would have been more important to me.

So for the average gamer looking for a cool multimedia device the PSP delivers a lot more than gaming. The DS is a device unfortunately that was designed from the ground up for Japanese gamers. Sure there are some of us in the US that also love games like Meteos, Kirby Canvas Curse and Trauma Center, but I question whether there are enough of us. Also the DS software has just been too slow to come out in North Ameica compared to Japan. With the PSP it is so easy to port PSone and PS2 games along with the original titles that the system should also have a steady stream of games.

In Japan I think they focus more on the software than the hardware (not to mention the type of software on the DS is much more popular), in the US its all about having the fastest, the coolest and the most tricked out hardware. PSP wins that battle hands down. DS will not compete well with the PSP in North America. Especially when GTA hits the market.

Last edited by darkside; 08-18-05 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-18-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't stop at just hardware though. American kids want the "coolest and most tricked out" games as well. One look at a store shelf and you'll see the market for ingenuity is all but dead on this side of the pond. I daresay European areas are worse off. Every publication there shat on Symphony of the Night for "dated" graphics. A fucking sad example of what people are looking for in their games. Creativity, imagination, something different; these are the things that just flat-out scare the lion's share American and European gamers.
Old 08-18-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by sureAV421
this seems more like a marketing play on Sony's part.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
Genius. I've never owned a Sony system, but there are 4 points on there that sell it better than any of what MS has released.

* Blu-Ray
* 100% Backward Compatible
* Wi-fi included
* $299
Old 08-18-05, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I guess I'm the only one here that will be picking up a GBA Micro on launch day.

Mark my words, it doesn't matter that the technology is old or that it is priced at $100. I'm just annoyed that you can get a silver one with a silver faceplate. I hope you can purchase the silver faceplate as an accessory soon. The silver/silver looks slick.

Every kid is going to want one after the first one shows up with it on the playground. You won't be able to find on in stores come Christmas. And the investment cost that Nintendo put into the Micro is most likely very minimal, it has no new technology. It won't take long to recover those costs.

And regarding the $60 game prices...I might be wrong, but I vaguely remember that back in the day, SNES games were $60 too, no?

????PLAYGROUND????

I think if someone sees you with a micro in the playground, you,re just asking for a bloody nose minus a micro.
Old 08-18-05, 08:59 AM

It's funny, they say on this page the HD-AV adapter is included with the core system:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/xbox360console.htm

Then here they say it isn't included:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/xbox360choice.htm

I'm just going to use this single player for a couple sports games and hoped I could get the core system but if I need to add the HD-AV and the memory unit that won't make any sense.

Is there any onboard storage or do you need to purchase the memory unit to save a season on Madden?

If you can save a season and it comes with the HD-AV kit I can squeak by with the core system for single player ($360 to get up and running with the game), but it sounds like I'll probably need to go with the extra $100 version. $460 to play a single player game or seems like a lot.

Last edited by Dave C; 08-18-05 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-18-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Every kid is going to want one after the first one shows up with it on the playground. You won't be able to find on in stores come Christmas. And the investment cost that Nintendo put into the Micro is most likely very minimal, it has no new technology. It won't take long to recover those costs.
Reggie (you know, the douche bag that kicks ass, plays games and makes bad marketing decisions for NOA) stated that the target market for the Micro was kids on a G4 appearance during E3. I know many assume its an attempt to get adults to buy the GBAs, but Nintendo is marketing this for young kids. I guess they figure its a cool cell phone like device (well looking to be exact) that 7 year olds will want. Considering I'm seeing little kids with PSPs I'm not sure that still holds true.

Maybe, we are all wrong and the thing will be a hit. I personally might want one if it was $30-40 dollars cheaper (even though I have zero need for one), but at $100 I just don't see it.

Last edited by darkside; 08-18-05 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-18-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Micro will be the very first Gameboy I DON'T buy. I've owned each one up to this point: Fatty, Pocket, Color, Advance and SP. Micro is the first one I just don't see a point to. I had a tough enough time getting my hands used to the SP and they still cramp up from time to time and the Micro will require an ever closer hand stance. Not to mention the smaller (yet more beautifully lit) screen.
Old 08-18-05, 09:54 AM
Suspended

PS3 and Xbox360 are both way cheaper than a gaming PC of equivalent speed/graphics. Plus no driver issues. I still say these systems are a bargain even at these prices. These systems are so much more than Neo-Geo and Saturn of there day. Although, the $60 game prices are too high. I think $39.99 should be the highest for new games. I'll be getting both systems for sure.
Actually the Neo-Geo still rivals the Xbox and PS2 in terms of graphics. The Neo-Geo was light years ahead of its time.
Old 08-18-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Actually the Neo-Geo still rivals the Xbox and PS2 in terms of graphics. The Neo-Geo was light years ahead of its time.
Sorry, I have to disagree, strongly. I've seen plenty of new 2D games on the PS2 and there's no way the Neo Geo would even be able to pretend it could do that. The Neo Geo can't even do the high resolution of games like Guilty Gear, Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Rebirth and would choke to a crawl trying to keep up with a quarter of the amount of on-screen objects in Shikigami no Shiro 2 or Espgaluda.
Old 08-18-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Micro will be the very first Gameboy I DON'T buy. I've owned each one up to this point: Fatty, Pocket, Color, Advance and SP. Micro is the first one I just don't see a point to. I had a tough enough time getting my hands used to the SP and they still cramp up from time to time and the Micro will require an ever closer hand stance. Not to mention the smaller (yet more beautifully lit) screen.
Yep, same here. I've gone along with ever version including the Game Boy Light exclusive to Japan. This one though I just don't see getting. I would like to try gaming on one to see how usable it would be, but I have gotten to the point I prefer playing GBA games on the DS. Bigger control pad really helps.

The one thing the Micro could be cool for is music and video with the Play Yan since it is so pocketable you could take a gig of music and video with you everywhere and the video should look better on a smaller screen at the same resolution. Of course Nintendo of America skipped that part, so there goes my interest there.
Old 08-18-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
Xbox 360 with hard drive... $400.
A wireless adapter... $100.
Cable to play in high definition... $40.
Skipping the Xbox 360 even though you planned to buy it... priceless.
Old 08-18-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was waiting for that joke.
Old 08-18-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Any definative answers on Live accounts or how the tier of the new system is setup? I have Live paid for till January, will this work on the 360? If I renew in October will it carry over for a year and if so at what tier?

I thought the HD-AV adapter came with the $400 unit.

Where is the best place to pre-order?
Old 08-18-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Xbox 360 with hard drive... $400.
A wireless adapter... $100.
Cable to play in high definition... $40.
Skipping the Xbox 360 even though you planned to buy it... priceless.
Yeah, the $400 package includes the component video/composite video/RCA left and right audio cable. You could make the joke work with a $60 game though
Old 08-18-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Well, my friends were going to buy this at launch, but I don't think they have any idea of what it's actually going to cost them. I'll just let them know the deal, but I think they will buy it anyway. They don't have an HDTV, and right now they haven't hooked up the broadband at their new house. Plus, they have no problem running the wire, and don't have a wireless router. This may be fine for them.
Well, they should also be informed that what they're going to get then is completely incompatible with their old XBox games. As well as certain games like FFIX. And let's see if they're fine with the Core System or not.
Old 08-18-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'll be waiting for a price drop on the 360 before picking one up. If Microsoft is going to stick with those figures I think it's an awfully stupid move on their part. They're going to be the first to release a next gen system and its a golden opportunity to get a jump on Sony but $400 for the system w/ a controller on 20gb is ridiculous, imo, especially if Sony is going to sell the PS3 similarily equipped for $100 less. I think Microsoft figures they took it in the shorts with the Xbox and they're not going to do it again with the 360 and are maybe looking to recoup losses in the process.

As for the GameBoy Micro, I'll be passing on that too. Nintendo's pricing is just as ridiculous as Microsoft's. $99??! Are you freakin' kidding me? What the hell is Nintendo thinking? And with Zelda being postponed til '06 this Holiday season is going to suck for Nintendo.
Old 08-18-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has the OFFICIAL announcement for PS3 been released yet? XBOX360 was SUPPOSED to be $299 for the "REAL" package. I may think of getting a PS3, but I'm sur eI'll get the 360 first for sure....I don't really NEED two consoles either.
Old 08-18-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
No, PS3 pricing has not been released yet by Sony. I really don't know why so many people think it's going to be $299. I may end up eating my words, but considering it's going to be one of the first Blu-Ray player avaiable in the US I see a price tag maybe even bigger than the $399 XBOX package. I hope I'm wrong...only time will tell.

The official price of the PS3 has not been announce yet, SO comparing Xbox 360 to the PS3 is moot.
Retired

No official PS3 announcement yet, and probably won't be one for a while.

If they're going to undercut MS and sell it for $300 taking a big loss, expect an announcement a couple weeks before the 360 launches.

If it's going to be the same, maybe an announcement at the same time touting the extra features included at that price.

If it's more, probably no announcement until early 2006.

Those are my guesses anyway.
Old 08-18-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony selling the PS3 at $300 would be unbelievable. Considering its a Blu-Ray DVD player and has that powerful Core processor and high end video card it would have to be an incredible value at that price. Aren't Blu-Ray stand alone players going to be close to a thousand dollars?

I doubt Amazon's price is correct, but if it is Sony will definitely let us know about it. If the system is going to be $400-$500 dollars as expected then Sony will probably hold that announcement off for some time.
Old 08-18-05, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
Reggie (you know, the douche bag that kicks ass, plays games and makes bad marketing decisions for NOA) stated that the target market for the Micro was kids on a G4 appearance during E3. I know many assume its an attempt to get adults to buy the GBAs, but Nintendo is marketing this for young kids. I guess they figure its a cool cell phone like device (well looking to be exact) that 7 year olds will want. Considering I'm seeing little kids with PSPs I'm not sure that still holds true.

Maybe, we are all wrong and the thing will be a hit. I personally might want one if it was $30-40 dollars cheaper (even though I have zero need for one), but at $100 I just don't see it.
I totally see where you are coming from. Though don't forget, kids don't care if it is $50 or $100...they want it for Christmas...and parents will get them what they want.

I don't think it will be a huge, "let's scalp them on eBay" hit, but I do think Nintendo will have no trouble moving them at $100, and that they will become rather scarce around X-Mas time.

And their other target, outside of kids, are people like me: young, 20-something males that feel like they "must" have the latest in small electronic gizzmos. I'm not going to lie...the marketing techniques really get to me, and plenty of others in their late teens/early 20s.
Old 08-18-05, 03:54 PM
Retired

I agree, plenty of kids will beg for them and their yuppy parents will shell out the $100 bucks for them.

It won't be a hit like the SP or DS, but Nintendo will no doubt make money on them.
Old 08-18-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Maybe MS is just trying to grab as many sales at the higher price before the competition comes in. Then when the PS3 is released they drop the price to compete.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.