Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen, Gentlemen!

Here's a link to the HD-DVD.ORG webpage. Hopefully it can clear up a lot
of the smoke and mirror we see here.

http://www.hddvd.org/hddvd/
Old 08-22-05, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Especially when you even argue with me when I was agreeing with you in the one post above.

But seriously, you're fighting a losing battle here. While agree with some of your sentiments, sdcrym and the others clearly no more about the current state of HD-DVD and Blu-ray than you.

I think you misunderstood the post. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. It was sorta like re-stating what you had just said in an agreeable way.

Anyway, whether they know more or not doesn't matter. I'm stating my views and opinions, and that's what this forums about. Even the experts can be wrong sometimes you know. I guess we'll find out sometime next year.
Old 08-22-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I think the cost of production has been made out to be a far bigger issue than it really is.
Its not. The cost is single most important reason why HD-DVD stands a chance of beating Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray media requires a significantly larger investment to create the media. HD-DVD can be made on the same lines as current DVD media with minor enhancements, Blu-Ray requires entire new machining processes. I say this from knowledge, not speculation.

If Blu-Ray really was as clear cut a winner as so many people on this board have been lead to believe their would be no debate. The reality is their is a debate and its because both formats offer distinct advantages over one another.

Just to clarify who "supports*" what:

Blu-ray Support
Hardware: Hitachi, LG, Matsushita, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, HP, Dell, Apple, TDK, and Thomson
Software: Twentieth Century Fox, Walt Disney Studios, Sony.

HD-DVD Support
Hardware: Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, Thomson
Software:Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, and Universal Pictures. Microsoft.

*Official announced support.

Its interesting, everyone wants to make a big deal about Sony including Blu-ray support for the PS3, but what say you about MS supporting HD-DVD's for their much larger PC base. Surely many people now use their laptops for DVD watching, and what better source of a good monitor to take advantage of those higher resolutions...

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 08-22-05 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-22-05, 08:59 PM

I should add, notice that HD-DVD has the better software support, where as Blu-Ray has bettter hardware support. This is a direct result of movie makers siding with the cheaper format as they see their profits tied to high volume sales of cheap movies. The hardware vendors naturally want to side with the "better" of the hardware technologies.
Old 08-22-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
HD-DVD can be made on the same lines as current SVS media with minor enhancements, Blu-Ray requires entire new machining processes. I say this from knowledge, not speculation.
Maybe you can counter that point I made that dual layer HD-DVD requires a similar level of enhancements compared to Blueray. I did read that somewhere, but I can't remember where. There's no doubt that a single layer HD-DVD disc does not have enough space to meet HD video requirements.
Old 08-22-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see MS support for HD-DVD as just being an anti Sony stance (saying they would release a HD-DVD 360 down the line is about the stupidest thing ever), I'm sure that both formats will be well supported in Windows etc.
Old 08-22-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much was the price of the Xbox360 again? And, what the hell is a GB Micro? Sorry, this thread has gotten way off topic. The HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray talk should be moved to the tech forum.
Old 08-22-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually there already is an HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thread the DVD Hardware forum.
Old 08-23-05, 07:11 AM
Banned

Just to tie what has been spoken about back to the thread at hand, Microsoft has not sided with either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. They will support which ever format ends up the winner. Microsoft does not make optical hardware, and if they ever release software which requires over 9GB, we're in trouble. Sure, they like supporting HD-DVD because its not Sony, but besides that, they have no opinion on the matter.

This is why I don't expect the HD-DVD 360 anytime soon.
Old 08-23-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
I know I haven't been following all the details very much but I guess I missed the part where the 360 was leaving off the HD-DVD support. I thought that was going to be standard while PS3 was going to put in Blue-Ray.

As a consumer that owns two HDTVs, I have decided that I am definitely waiting until the PS3 comes out. I not only want to see how Blue-Ray does, W ant to see what kind of HD support each is giving and will hopefully see a price change and possibly what kind of online community the PS3 is going to have. Are they going to go for something similar to Xbox Live or the same format they currently have?

Since I tired of playing Halo 2 way back, I have yet to have a game come out to get me back on Live. Depending on the coming games for the next generation, the online situation may not have as much weight as the HD support does (especially 1080p as the PS3 is said it will support).

Looking at it, I will probably wait until X-mas of 2006 to finally get something new. There should be some good competition between the two, enough time for some good games to be out (or announced) and possibly some pricing specials by then. There are enough games on Gamefly that can keep me busy with my Xbox until then (hell, I probably will still be playing GTA San Andreas).
Old 08-23-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I know I haven't been following all the details very much but I guess I missed the part where the 360 was leaving off the HD-DVD support.
There never was a part where it was supposed to come standard. The closest it came was a statement that future models may offer HD-DVD as an option, but it was never expected from the outset, and it was never definitively announced at all.
Old 08-23-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still talking about this HD-DVD support, eh? How many TV's actually USE 1080P, hell, I only have 1080i on my HDTV, no 720p even....so I'm left out either way. I'm still getting myself an XBOX360 though....lots o'credit ssaved up
Old 08-23-05, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I know I haven't been following all the details very much but I guess I missed the part where the 360 was leaving off the HD-DVD support. I thought that was going to be standard while PS3 was going to put in Blue-Ray.
Never was part of the plan. The statement was a reaction to Sony going with Blu-Ray. The announcement said HD-DVD may come in a future version, but only for video playback.

As a consumer that owns two HDTVs, I have decided that I am definitely waiting until the PS3 comes out. I not only want to see how Blue-Ray does, W ant to see what kind of HD support each is giving and will hopefully see a price change and possibly what kind of online community the PS3 is going to have. Are they going to go for something similar to Xbox Live or the same format they currently have?
Sony is developing a PlayStation Network which will be used by PS2, PSP, and PS3 games. Besides that, there have been no details about it, except that it will be centralized.
Old 08-23-05, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Still talking about this HD-DVD support, eh? How many TV's actually USE 1080P, hell, I only have 1080i on my HDTV, no 720p even....so I'm left out either way. I'm still getting myself an XBOX360 though....lots o'credit ssaved up
Hold on there Microsoft! There are plenty of 1080p TVs out on the market if you really want one. Most of the major brands either have one out or have plans to have them out by the end of the year. And I believe both consoles offer 1080i support for you.
Old 08-23-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Hold on there Microsoft! There are plenty of 1080p TVs out on the market if you really want one. Most of the major brands either have one out or have plans to have them out by the end of the year. And I believe both consoles offer 1080i support for you.
Yes, they are starting to come out more...but they really aren't affordable yet. I mean most seem to be $3000 or more. And, as you said....some are not even out yet. Thus, it's a relatively NEW technology....I don't forsee too many people selling an HDTV they already have to get a 1080p set.

At least that's me. I don't plan on selling my older 55" Mits to get a newer TV....eventually yes, but now, I'm still looking for a money tree
Old 08-23-05, 11:51 AM
Suspended

I am in the same boat as DJ. I have a 55" Mitsu TV that wont play 720p. I definitely do not plan on upgrading for the next 2-3 years either.
Old 08-23-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
forget the hard drive for a moment. The cheapo doesn't even come with component cables! $40 for those. I thought this was the generation of hi-def gaming, MS? I guess not. Add in the wireless controller + hard drive(for $60 more) and it makes the cheapo worthless in my book.

MS is insane.

What bothers me more is that those same cables for the original xbox was only 19.99 ( less some places on clearance) so what is different about these. I may buy the 360 only because my xbox is broke and can just use that money towards it.
Old 08-23-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I imagine that this is what it feels like to be in an African tribal community, and accidently walk into the mentration hut.
Old 08-26-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, check all of this out:

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/645/645774p1.html

Old 08-26-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, just what I wanted, a really small screen and controls designed for 2 year olds. I'll stick with my PSP thanks.
Old 08-26-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll give Nintendo one thing that is a nice looking screen (though tiny), but the design baffles me. Are they trying to compete with the N-Gage or something? Why would anyone want to?
Old 08-26-05, 10:45 PM

That is pretty slick, def. a market for that. Maybe not the hardcore market, but I know a bunch of casual gamers that will eat that up status quo style.
Old 08-26-05, 10:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

I dunno, I think it's more for the Japanese market. Cute & Tiny things are huge over there.
Old 08-26-05, 10:55 PM

I agree that it is more "in" over there, but American's are going the same way. Ipod shuffle? Why get a 512mb player when you can get 4 gigs for $75 more? Fashion.
Old 08-26-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it'll be a big seller.

I'd even think about getting one once the price goes down. There isn't any way that I'd buy it for $100 though. I don't see why anyone would, unless they want it ONLY because it's so small, considering that the DS is now $129.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.