Reload this Page >

Price of Xbox360 and GameBoy Micro announced

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Price of Xbox360 and GameBoy Micro announced

Old 08-17-05, 09:59 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joeblow69
Newegg has a Linksys 2.4 ghz wireless access point for $47.99 - $30 MIR. That's probably the cheapest way to get your XBox 360 online wirelessly.
But again there's not guarantee that it will work on the 360. MS would have to have the Linksys driver files on their or a way to install them. Which they may well not do to force people to buy their $100 adapter.
Old 08-17-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I said on the other thread the $299 360 is garbage and not worth anyones time. Even having it on the shelves is an insult to all consumers. Hell in the interview they even say they don't expect them to sell well compared to the $400 unit, well duh..

If i was buying the 360 it would by the 399 without question but looking at the overall cost to buy some additional accessories there is no chance of that. Once u take into account some of the almost essential accessories you have to buy then the PS3 might even end up being cheaper.

The GBA micro would be worth 99 btw if u could also use it as a mobile .
Old 08-17-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
But again there's not guarantee that it will work on the 360. MS would have to have the Linksys driver files on their or a way to install them. Which they may well not do to force people to buy their $100 adapter.
But as far as the xbox knows, you're just plugging it into an ethernet port, right? I think initially, you'd have to plug a computer into the access point, so you can configure it to access your network, but once that's done, I would think it would work fine.
Old 08-17-05, 10:16 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll buy a $400 Xbox on launch day. I dont have anything better to spend it on.
Old 08-17-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joeblow69
But as far as the xbox knows, you're just plugging it into an ethernet port, right? I think initially, you'd have to plug a computer into the access point, so you can configure it to access your network, but once that's done, I would think it would work fine.
I agree this should work with the 360, Xbox or PS2.

Even saving money there though $399 is still just more than I can see paying. Maybe MS will have a few killer titles though. Not to mention the price may drop when the PS3 is released.

Getting back to the Micro. Not only is it overpriced, but it is also not compatible with anything but GBA titles. Granted using the older GB titles would kind of kill the whole point of it being that small.

Honestly the Micro seems a complete waste of time and money on Nintendo's part. I smell sales disaster with that one.
Old 08-17-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the Micro DID play GB abd GBC games. It was the DS that doesn't.
Old 08-17-05, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I'll buy a $400 Xbox on launch day. I dont have anything better to spend it on.
I,m With Ferris. Plus, I,ve been trying to play this one smart and start to put down more and more money on it before it hits store shelves. So far I have 200$ already put down. By November, it will be all payed off.
Old 08-17-05, 11:05 AM

I don't understand all the fuss about? This price point has never been a secret. Hell, over the years a lot of members of this forum didn't want the xbox to have a Hard drive now that chose is given, they now complain that it comes with a wired controller, no HD AV cables and no wireless card. Sheesh!!!!

I will buy the $399 version it just makes more sense to get the Hard drive, wireless controller. I already have 2 Linksys ethernet bridges, a boat load of HD av cables.

The days of getting a game and a spare controller are pretty much dead. Inflation and technological advance killed those benefits.
Old 08-17-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I have $200+ credit at GameRush....hopefully they will get both version of the console, if not, that's a few 360 games
Old 08-17-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Basically that amounts to $100 for a 20 GB hard drive and a wireless controller, since I don't care the other stuff. Complete ripoff for me...
Old 08-17-05, 11:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Based on the other thread, it turns out those price points are for the European release. And it sounds like the WiFi adapter will be included on the "value" console.
Old 08-17-05, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Based on the other thread, it turns out those price points are for the European release. And it sounds like the WiFi adapter will be included on the "value" console.
No and no.
Old 08-17-05, 11:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Then, allow my outrage to return!
Old 08-17-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I thought the Micro DID play GB abd GBC games. It was the DS that doesn't.
I originally thought that as well, but the press release at IGN clearly states it plays GBA software only. As with the DS, I can't sell my SP to get this (if I wanted to which I don't) because I still have 20+ GBC games. I'm really not sure what the market for the Micro is , but I don't think Nintendo is going to find them. I'll be the first to admit its a nice looking Game Boy, but do we really have a need for a smaller version at $100 price tag? I'm not seeing it.

If they had at least announced the Play Yan with it I might have interest in that aspect, but once again it seems Nintendo has missed the boat in the US.

Last edited by darkside; 08-17-05 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 11:50 AM

i already have $385 in pre-payment at gamestop for a 360.. can't wait for this thing to come out. And i'm on their first shipment list, so i should get it first day
Old 08-17-05, 11:59 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

It's a rather stupid move by MS if you think about it. I mean look what happened with Sony's HDD and how few games support it. If a developer can't count on a consumer having that product then they aren't going to build their software to support it. This generation is going to be way too expensive, especially considering that games are going to be coming with a $60 price tag.
Old 08-17-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
No real issues with the pricing here. It's been estmated for awhile that the 360 and PS3 would be released at a higher price then the $299 that the Xbox came out as.
Old 08-17-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
It's a rather stupid move by MS if you think about it. I mean look what happened with Sony's HDD and how few games support it. If a developer can't count on a consumer having that product then they aren't going to build their software to support it. This generation is going to be way too expensive, especially considering that games are going to be coming with a $60 price tag.

That is actually exactly what I was going to say. $100 for a wireless adapter?! $40 for a controller?! $60 for a game?! $40 for a 64 mb memory card?! Mucho expensivo. It looks like Sony is going to be at least as expensive. The only one who hasn't mentioned pricing is Nintendo. I think they still want to be the cheapest on the block.

I doubt it if MS will allow any other wireless adapter. They already locked down the 360 so you will have to pay royalties for accessories like controllers and such, doubt they wouldn't take advantage of people for the wireless adapter.
Old 08-17-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Expensive, sure, but a new console cycle only happens so often, and it is not like these are that expensive. Either way, I'm gonna wait and see what cool things VelocityGirl makes, before I decide which, if any, version to buy.
Old 08-17-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Well, this will continue the trend for me. Haven't bought a system at launch since the original PlayStation. Will have to wait for the price drop for this. But I agree that the $299 version seems like kind of a waste.
Old 08-17-05, 12:31 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Apollo
I don't understand all the fuss about? This price point has never been a secret. Hell, over the years a lot of members of this forum didn't want the xbox to have a Hard drive now that chose is given, they now complain that it comes with a wired controller, no HD AV cables and no wireless card. Sheesh!!!!
Most people wanted an HDD, they just didn't want DVD burner, Tivo functions and other non gaming stuff.

And the rumor was with an HDD for $300 before so the price was a secret.
Old 08-17-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What bothers me about 360 are the prices of the accessories. $49.99 for a controller, $34.99 for an hd pack? I remember when controllers used to cost $20. I don't care if it's wireless, that's is still too damn expensive. It doesn't even make sense why the hd pack for the 360 is $20 more compared to the original Xbox. The prices are getting out of hand.
Old 08-17-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
It's a rather stupid move by MS if you think about it. I mean look what happened with Sony's HDD and how few games support it. If a developer can't count on a consumer having that product then they aren't going to build their software to support it.
This is good and bad. Does it mean fewer updates for things such as multiplayer or bonus levels? Possibly. Although, developers may take some time and add that in initially. My biggest worry with hard drives was console games being made sloppy and patched later. If developers can not count on hard drives, then hopefully games will be released when finished, not before.

As for the price, disappointing, but expected. This seems to be the pain of the new push of consoles. I personally have no problem with our current level of quality, technology, features, etc. and would rather see more gameplay-driven games made instead of pushing the technology a little further. I fully expect Sony's price will be the same as well.

I'll be the first to admit its a nice looking Game Boy, but do we really have a need for a smaller version at $100 price tag? I'm not seeing it.
I would guess Nintendo has put very little effort into the Micro. Technology exists, just slap a new case on it. My guess is, they figure if they can pull in some more gamers who need the "cool" factor of the handheld itself, then why not release the system. If it doesn't sell well, the original GBA and SP already have, so there is very little lost.
Old 08-17-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everything about it seems way too expensive. . .I'll wait . . a few years, atleast.
Old 08-17-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I guess I didn't really intend on picking up the 360 at launch anyways, but $400 is definitely too much for me at launch, especially considering I will have to pay full price for games. I will wait til games start hitting the $10-$20 discounted range before I jump into the next gen. I figure that will take atleast 6-9 months. $400 isn't so bad if I can pick up a few good games for cheap, but I will probably wait til the xbox drops to $250 or less.

The accessories prices are ridiculous. I don't need to buy a wireless adapter, I already use a linksys router as a wireless bridge from my room (where the xbox is) to the wireless router in my living room. My xbox only knows it is hooked up by ethernet cable to a router, even though that router is wireless to my main router. Plus I can hook up my comp and two other systems as well. But there is no way I would pay $100 for a wireless adapter.

I think it's funny though, people got pissed at Sony for not releasing a barebones PSP without all the extra junk, but Microsoft is releasing a barebones XBOX and people are upset too. I guess this is different because the Hard Drive isn't seen as a pointless accessory by most people, like many of the psp accessories are. Plus I think people expected a lower price point.

I think the GBA micro is too high, for the extra $30 I will pick up the DS, small size doesn't make sense when the DS has so much more functionality.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.