Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Movies (anyone else looking forward to this one?)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this game sounds sweet, and been looking forward to it but i hope it doesnt dispointment, i hope you really can make your own movie, and not just choose from a few camera angles, animations etc. anyone know if you can set or move the camera when making your own movies? i hope this one isnt a let down
Old 07-23-05, 03:20 PM

I'm REALLY looking forward to this...what's the release date?
Old 07-23-05, 03:43 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's an interesting concept, but I think I'd like a straight-up movie making game more than a studio sim.
Old 07-23-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
this game sounds sweet, and been looking forward to it but i hope it doesnt dispointment, i hope you really can make your own movie, and not just choose from a few camera angles, animations etc. anyone know if you can set or move the camera when making your own movies? i hope this one isnt a let down
I've been looking forward to this for a while, but as usual they keep pushing back the release date. I believe it's currently slated to be coming out in October. I don't think it'll have all of the features that have been announced, but I do hope they give you more control over the camera and the actors than I've seen in the videos.
Old 07-23-05, 11:14 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been anticipating this one, even though I know it'll end up being a colossal disappointment.
Old 07-24-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mv5660
I'm REALLY looking forward to this...what's the release date?
Gamespot shows 11/8/2005 now for the PC and the Official Website says a console release is planned for a later date.
Old 07-25-05, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sweet! i love these games!!

Old 07-25-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...irectors-chair
Old 07-25-05, 03:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Given Peter Molyneux's track record, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 09-30-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The buzz on IGN and GameSpot has been positive so far. There's a lot of great ideas going into this project and I hope they play as well as they sound.

FYI - If you pre-order The Movies you'll get the Starmaker program where you can create all your studio stars before you get the game in November. I took the plunge and have been messing around with the Starmaker software for a couple days now - even if the game ultimately ends up subpar, I still think with all the moviemaking elements I'll probably still get my money's worth. You'll also be able to post the movies you make on the Movies website.

I was extremely skeptical of all the creators were promising but it's beginning to look like some... if not most... will come true.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/.../previews.html

...but I'll probably be wrong. Who knows.
Old 09-30-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it looks more like the sims or an adventure game then a make your own movie type game. I was sort of hoping that you could really customize your characters, like camera angles, movements, edits, etc..
Although he does say, stay tuned....

taken from gamespot.
"In this game, quite a lot of control will rest with the director you hire, but you have the option--with the sliders bar--to change the content, mood, and flow of the scene that's being shot. For players who want even more control over the moviemaking process...stay tuned. "
Old 09-30-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
it looks more like the sims or an adventure game then a make your own movie type game. I was sort of hoping that you could really customize your characters, like camera angles, movements, edits, etc..
Although he does say, stay tuned....

taken from gamespot.
"In this game, quite a lot of control will rest with the director you hire, but you have the option--with the sliders bar--to change the content, mood, and flow of the scene that's being shot. For players who want even more control over the moviemaking process...stay tuned. "
From what I read in another article, it seems equal parts sims game and a make your movie type game. I read one blurb that seemed to indicate that you could customize camera angles and movements... it was all a matter of how deeply you wanted to get involved. There's supposed to be an option to handle all of the moviemaking yourself rather than your "hires." Also a post-production feature. As far as the characters, you do customize, cast and dress the stars of your movie. As evidenced by the extremely detailed StarMaker program -- you dictate how temperamental your star is, how susceptible to alcohol/food addiction, breast/chest size, "slimness," and the type of movies they perform/direct the best.

Last edited by jdpatri; 10-05-05 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-04-05, 02:41 PM

There's a Collector's Edition up at Gamestop.
Old 10-05-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Campfire
There's a Collector's Edition up at Gamestop.
I can't find anything to tell me what makes this edition more special.... anyone?
Old 10-08-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a hands on preview for it up at gamespot.com
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...ml?sid=6135284
I still haven't heard any real detailed information about the actual movie making part of the game.

but it does look like you can customize your characters, which is a huge plus for me.

I still want to know if you control their specific movements? And what about camera angles? The previews all show wide shot camera angles. Doesn't look like you can choose.
Old 10-08-05, 10:59 PM

thats what I am hoping for; controlling the camera.
Old 10-09-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote from lionhead offical website
http://pc.gamezone.com/news/09_14_05_09_54AM.htm

“The player has complete control if they want it, but they don’t have to create their own movie to play the game.

“However, should the player want to make their own movie, control camera angles, lighting, weather, costumes, sets and scenes, then they can and once it’s in the can, they can then open up a whole new wealth of features in post-production where they can cut scenes, add their music, add sound effects and subtitles. They can also then record their own voice using any sound card and make their actors lip-synch.”

I went and did the preorder and picked up star maker. Havent tried it out yet.

also a faq from lionhead:
http://www.lionhead.com/themovies/faq.html
Old 10-09-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What the fuck, this game sounds insane. I try not to get excited for Molyneux games, but man, this is sounding great.
Old 10-09-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I've played with the star maker for a little while and maybe it's just me but the male actors are turning out well, but the female ones I try to make all end up horible looking.

And the star maker isn't really worth the extra ten dollars if anyone was interested. It's neat, but really can't do much.

taken from a message board:
Whats the difference between the special editon and the regular version?
"Special edition has 100 music tracks and 10 extra costumes plus movies about the making of the game I think. Also its a DVD rom and CD rom discs. Though most special editions do have DVD rom and CD roms in it too."

Last edited by lukewarmwater; 10-09-05 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
So I've played with the star maker for a little while and maybe it's just me but the male actors are turning out well, but the female ones I try to make all end up horible looking.

And the star maker isn't really worth the extra ten dollars if anyone was interested. It's neat, but really can't do much.

taken from a message board:
Whats the difference between the special editon and the regular version?
"Special edition has 100 music tracks and 10 extra costumes plus movies about the making of the game I think. Also its a DVD rom and CD rom discs. Though most special editions do have DVD rom and CD roms in it too."
I haven't had trouble making good-looking female stars. I find it easiest -- at least to start -- if you merely blend to different facial structures instead of winging it. Although I did unintentionally create an Elivira look alike with the fine tuning features.

And the Starmaker isn't $10 extra. If you pre-order a copy by putting $10 down you get the starmaker and your $10 goes toward the purchase of the deluxe or regular edition upon release. It's just a chance to get some actors/actresses created before you actually get the game. The StarMaker will be included with the game itself as well.
Old 10-10-05, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like some of you should be picking up a camera instead of a mouse.
Old 10-12-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From Gamespot:

"After spending quite a bit of time with the game, we came away very impressed with The Movies. Simply put, this is very much a game that has something for everyone. The strategy and studio-building portions of the game are engaging and well done, and the creative endeavor of moviemaking can be fun and rewarding. The Movies is also a game that has mainstream potential like no other game since The Sims. After all, practically everyone loves watching movies, and finally, here's a game where you can experience the highs and lows of making movies yourself. It's been a long wait for this game, but the good news is that The Movies will arrive on the PC in November."
Old 10-12-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Just pre-ordered this at Gamestop and picked up the Star Maker bonus disc. I don't see how this game can possibly live up to the hype, but i will give it a shot.
Old 12-26-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is anybody running this game on a GeForce 6200 videocard? I got the game for Christmas and I don't see that particular card in the list of supported chipsets. They have cards below that one such as the 3, 4, and 5 GeForce series, and the 6600 and 6800, but no 6200. I would expect this card to work with it but if it doesn't for some reason I'd like to know before I open it.
Old 01-13-06, 10:10 PM

kind of wondering the same thing, I was going to pick it up today but i didnt see the Geforce 7800 listed as a supported card, will this game work with this 3D card

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.