Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One and Only NCAA Football 2006 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my copy (XBox) this afternoon, started with the Race for the Heisman deal, had a so-so tryout as a running back, got a rating of 72, and was offered some scholarships from some so-so teams ranked in the sixties and seventies. Went with Arizona, ranked #68 or something.

My first game was against Utah, and I sucked horribly. Was beaten 41-7. Threw three interceptions that were ran back for touchdowns. The running back I created for the Heisman thing was decent, maybe 12 carries for 80-something yards with a touchdown.

My next game was against Northern Arizona, and I absolutely throttled them. Something like 135-3. Scored 42 points in each of the second and third quarters. Ran back five or six punts for touchdowns. My freshman Heisman RB had around 25 carries for a whopping 495 yards, with two fifty-yarders and one seventy-yarder.

I'm playing the default five-minute quarters on Varsity difficulty, the same exact thing I've been playing since NCAA '02, and never have I had such a blowout like I did in that second game. I've probably played a good 700 Dynasty games since '02, and my highest score was something like 91 points, and that was several years into a really good Dynasty team.

The disparity, especially, between the first game where I received the ass-kicking, and the second game is what astounds me.

My third game is against a top-ten ranked Purdue team, and I honestly have no idea how it's gonna turn out. I'm actually kind of disappointed with the unrealistic score and yardage from the second game enough to delete the Heisman file and start from scratch, probably bumping the difficulty up to All-American or whatever it is.

Anyone else have any early, head-scratching experiences like this yet?
Old 07-12-05, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i started a dynasty with UTEP. Beat NMSU 59-42 in the first game and absolutley crushed Houston 87-3. In the third and 4th quarters I didnt throw a single pass and ran up the middle every time. In the 4th i didnt snap the ball until it hit :01 on the play clock.
Old 07-13-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 418 Likes on 314 Posts
Sounds like the game is fun. I'd get it now, but after the recent CC clearance deals, I have enough games to last awhile.
Old 07-13-05, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I played last night....pretty darn good game. I started my Dynasty at the next highest level (All-American). I play a exhibition Michigan vs Ohio State on Varsity and blew them out....so the next level is pretty hard. I won my first two games though and Northern Illinois and Notre Dame (being Michigan of course)

The game is good...plays similiar to last year, but better.

Race for the Heisman seems kinda dumb. It's like a half-assed dynasty mode. The CPU does everything for you, you basically just track your player. I was going to be a scrambling QB and I got offers from three top ten schools....I didn't go with with the mode though. I'll stick to regualr dynasty.
Old 07-13-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 841 Likes on 619 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there are rosters files with True Freshman QB Jonathan Crompton on the Tennessee Vols?
Old 07-13-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check operationsports.com

I d/l FK's rosters for XBOX...seems to be pretty complete.
Old 07-13-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have blacklovers rosters from geekrosters.com and DTLinder's rosters from his website, but my game has not arrived yet so I can't look at them. I can always create him if he is not on any of the downloadable rosters.
Old 07-13-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Still waiting for my game to ship from dvdplanet. Used priority shipping, and it has been available to ship since Saturday. Not too pleased.
Old 07-13-05, 10:58 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by deadlax
Still waiting for my game to ship from dvdplanet. Used priority shipping, and it has been available to ship since Saturday. Not too pleased.
I too am very disappointed with DVDPlanet. I ordered mine last Thursday and there is no indication that it has even shipped yet. Oh well, I guess you can't beat the price, though.
Old 07-13-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would figure dvdplanet sold alot at that price and they could be on backorder you should send them an e-mail. My copy shipped yesterday.I place my order on 6/17 though. They also wait a few days on orders from new customers to make sure your credit card is valid. They will send you an e-mail when it ships.
Old 07-13-05, 11:56 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Virex
Got my copy (XBox) this afternoon, started with the Race for the Heisman deal, had a so-so tryout as a running back, got a rating of 72, and was offered some scholarships from some so-so teams ranked in the sixties and seventies. Went with Arizona, ranked #68 or something.

I started RFTH too as soon as I got it. I chose to be a scrambling quarterback. I kicked arse in the tryouts and I had to choose between Florida State and Virginia Tech. I am now starting for the Seminoles. I like this game alot so far.

wlj
Old 07-13-05, 12:46 PM

Could someone explain Race for the Heisman a little more? Do you get 4 or 5 years try to win? Does it just end after that? What do you mean the cpu does it all for you? I love dynasty and know how that works. Are the 2 modes tied together at all?
Old 07-13-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,047 Likes on 751 Posts
In RFTH you start off by making a high school player. After doing some drills he gets a rating and school offers. Once you pick a school, it plays a lot like dynasty except you do not do any of the recruiting for the team. That's about all I know so far since I haven't picked up my copy yet. I'm sure people who are already playing it can give you some more info.
Old 07-13-05, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Race for the Heisman seems kinda dumb. It's like a half-assed dynasty mode. The CPU does everything for you, you basically just track your player. I was going to be a scrambling QB and I got offers from three top ten schools....I didn't go with with the mode though. I'll stick to regualr dynasty.
Yeah. I started another Heisman mode last night, and then realized that recruiting is one of the things I most enjoy about the NCAA games, and that in the Heisman mode, you don't get any of that. So I think I'll just scrap the Heisman stuff for now, and start a regular dynasty. I just like recruiting too much to go four years without doing it, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing how the in-season recruiting works.

. . .

Played a quick game as OU against OSU (Cowboys) last night on Varsity, and I got Peterson to rush for over 400 yards. In all my hundreds of games over the years, I've gone over 300 yards maybe five times, so there's definitely something different about 2006. Either the running has gotten easier, or the Varsity setting has. And since it's easier to change the difficulty than change the running, I guess I'll bump up to All-American for now, and see how that is. These 400+ rushing yard games aren't fun, or realistic.
Old 07-13-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hippochris
Could someone explain Race for the Heisman a little more? Do you get 4 or 5 years try to win? Does it just end after that? What do you mean the cpu does it all for you? I love dynasty and know how that works. Are the 2 modes tied together at all?
RFTH basically works like this (from my understanding):
- You choose what you want to be (QB/RB/HB/WR...etc etc)
- Go through a minute combine and your rating are established
- You get offers from 3 schools or you can walk-on (so you can go anywherE)
- You have a 4 year dynasty basically
- HOWEVER, the CPU does the recruiting for you
- You have a dorm room where you get fan mail and various other stats
- After 4 years you can export your player to Madden 06 OR take over a Division 1A program.

I think that's it...I have not gone through it or tried (except the first couple steps above). I personally like recruiting and the other Dynasty features. I guess it's just something "different"
Old 07-13-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
or take over a division 1A program?

i may get a chance to play this (xbox) tonight
Old 07-13-05, 05:06 PM

This game confuses me ... I handily beat a #7 ranked opponent by 50 points, then the next week get whooped by the team that hasn't won a game yet but who's receivers catch everything, even after two of my guys tip it.
Old 07-13-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I'm on ALL-American and I'm undefeated after 5 games....things seem to be rolling pretty easily. The running game is a bit TOO easy this year....I still cannot pass that well. The only passes that seem to work the BEST are the DEEEEEEP passes. Which kinda sucks...since it's not "that" real.
Old 07-13-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked it up today, unfortunately I won't get to play it for another week (with the wife in CA, w/ my XBox in NC) .
Old 07-13-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 418 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDude
Picked it up today, unfortunately I won't get to play it for another week (with the wife in CA, w/ my XBox in NC) .
Buy one and then return it at the end of the week
Old 07-13-05, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I would figure dvdplanet sold alot at that price and they could be on backorder you should send them an e-mail. My copy shipped yesterday.I place my order on 6/17 though. They also wait a few days on orders from new customers to make sure your credit card is valid. They will send you an e-mail when it ships.
I'd say that anyone that ordered from DVDPlanet should call them. I placed my order on 7/4 and they told me it was backordered and they wouldn't be getting it in until 8/2. The CSR told me that they had a lot of orders and it was backordered by the time that I placed my order.
Old 07-13-05, 11:19 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by fleegs
I'd say that anyone that ordered from DVDPlanet should call them. I placed my order on 7/4 and they told me it was backordered and they wouldn't be getting it in until 8/2. The CSR told me that they had a lot of orders and it was backordered by the time that I placed my order.
It would have been nice to have known it was on backorder before I ordered from them... I'm so glad they post the availability of this <--- sarcasm
Old 07-15-05, 01:30 PM

Location: Home of the 2006 Rose Bowl Winners and Future National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes!
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Well, I'm on ALL-American and I'm undefeated after 5 games....things seem to be rolling pretty easily. The running game is a bit TOO easy this year....I still cannot pass that well. The only passes that seem to work the BEST are the DEEEEEEP passes. Which kinda sucks...since it's not "that" real.
I started the Race for the Heisman on All-American level. Tried out as a running back, and got offers to USC, Michigan, and Iowa. I turned them all down and walked on at Bowling Green. After TWO games, my running back had over 1200 yards and 17 touchdowns. In the MAC opener vs. Ball State, my RB ran for 718 yards and 10 TDs... Um, needless to say, I'm moving up to Heisman level. ( I play 6 minute quarters )

So, I start a dynasty on Heisman level, and I can't play defense worth a crap. I'm getting shredded by nobodies... And I can only run, and can't thrown worth a damn. And why they switched the button configuration, I have no idea. It screws me up at least 2 or 3 times a quarter...

I've already figured out that Teddy Ginn from Ohio State is UN-FREAKIN-STOPPABLE... Whoa!
Old 07-15-05, 02:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts
Just got my copy in the mail from dvdplanet
Old 07-15-05, 04:09 PM

New button layout is definitely taking some time to get used to. Only advantage i see is the in-play celebrations and "cover up" or "truck" move using up on the right joystick. Any other advantages to the new layout?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.