Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are HD games the next big thing? Microsoft and Sony say yes. Nintendo says No.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Are HD games the next big thing? Microsoft and Sony say yes. Nintendo says No.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Wow, I stand corrected. Hard to believe since it's a core part of the HD standard.
It is now. When I bought my HDTV two and a half years ago, 720p was new. I had to debate on whether or not it was worth an extra $300 bones on a higher model. Since I was already spending $2k I figured, what the hell. Good decision on my part, I guess. I wasn't sure if it would take off.
Old 06-13-05, 10:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It is now. When I bought my HDTV two and a half years ago, 720p was new. I had to debate on whether or not it was worth an extra $300 bones on a higher model. Since I was already spending $2k I figured, what the hell. Good decision on my part, I guess. I wasn't sure if it would take off.

Good call on your part. To me if you own a HDTV that absolutely will not display 720p, that doesn't even try and convert it to native resolution... well sports programming nowadays seems to be more 720p based, I think you need to check for a firmware update or else a new TV, that's weak.
Old 06-13-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
well sports programming nowadays seems to be more 720p based
Fox, ABC, ESPN, and ESPN-2 are 720p. Everyone else I know of (over the air, cable, satellite, etc.) is 1080i, although a handful of stations side-convert to 720p to better accomodate subchannels.
Old 06-13-05, 09:00 PM

Does anyone still play PC games in 640x480? Hell no. There is no reason Nintendo's next system shouldn't allow for higher resolutions. With the dedicated graphics hardware inside today's consoles they should have no trouble supporting HD. Hell, even a modest PC can run games in 1024x1280...
Old 06-13-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

720p actually requires more signal bandwidth than 1080i, so it's easier for manufacturers to support 1080i. The FCC fucked up by even allowing the interlaced formats to be written in. They should have just allowed 480p, 720p, and 1080p and told the broadcasters/manufacturers to suck it.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if these reports about the Revolution not support HD aren't somehow confused or wrong. HD support is almost free at this point and not providing it saves them almost nothing.
Old 06-14-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IGN has launched a "formal" campain against Nintendo's latest stance on HD.
Seen here: http://cube.ign.com/articles/625/625423p1.html
Old 06-14-05, 11:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Wow I didn't know it was official

Email sent.
Old 06-15-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think I'll bother to email them but it is pretty stupid if they plan to actively restrict their own hardware from doing something that it is more than capable of doing.

Even low tech games benefit from a resolution upscale to give a clearer image on HD screens. For example, try emulating Tekken 3 (PS1) at 1024x768 on epsx, it looks much nicer than on the ps1 itself.

This is the current gamespot poll. I picked the first option .

GameSpot Poll
Nintendo says it has "no plans" for the Revolution to support HDTV. Your reaction?

- At this rate, Nintendo is going to rapidly run out of feet to shoot itself in.
- Uh, what good is 720p resolution if the gameplay sucks?
- Doesn't matter to me--I can't even afford a regular television.
- It's official! Iwata is totally bananas.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/index.html
Old 06-15-05, 09:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

At this rate, Nintendo is going to rapidly run out of feet to shoot itself in. 12962 (46%)
Uh, what good is 720p resolution if the gameplay sucks? 5234 (18%)
Doesn't matter to me--I can't even afford a regular television. 6211 (22%)
It's official! Iwata is totally bananas. 3301 (11%)
Old 06-15-05, 10:08 AM
Banned

One of my concerns with this stance, is that the visuals in games will look like crap on my HDTV. Their are many accounts that SDTV looks horrible on HDTVs because of the upscaling they have to do. I wonder how they will correct for that.
Old 06-15-05, 11:30 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will be stupid of them to not include it since it apparently costs little to implement and the competition supports it.

As I said early it doesn't effect me as I won't have an HDTV in the next few years and I don't think it will affect sales much to their "niche" but it will sway some other people from pickin gone up, including older gamers and non-gamers (who used to be big Nintendo fans) who might have got one to play all the classic games again on their nice HDTVs.
Old 06-15-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope they change their mind. It would be nice to know Nintendo actually listens to American consumers once in awhile.
Old 06-15-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Astro
Does anyone still play PC games in 640x480? Hell no. There is no reason Nintendo's next system shouldn't allow for higher resolutions. With the dedicated graphics hardware inside today's consoles they should have no trouble supporting HD. Hell, even a modest PC can run games in 1024x1280...
Exactly. It shouldn't take much graphical power to support at least 480p/720p. Seriously.

I've got a 480p (800x600) Infocus X1 projector. I want 480p or I may very well not bother. If this is their idea of "vision" I don't think I want a part of it. Nothing is more annoying than de-interlacing artifacts. Megaman collection tended to do it a lot.

My cube is in fact kinda broken. But I can't buy a new one because Nintendo stopped making the digital a/v out port to save a few $. I have to scrounge around the used market in person to find one with a port. They always do stuff like this. That's why I fear when they say "no HD" that they mean it, and we'll get normal a/v and s-video only.

PS Sent email via the IGN link

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-15-05 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-15-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm guessing that Sony will continue to support the PS2 for quite some time. However, it appears that the PS3 is really being aimed at gamers using high end equipment...

It just doesn't make sense for an 18 year old college student to be playing a PS3, in a dorm, on his 25" Magnavox.....
Old 06-17-05, 08:01 AM
Banned

Ranting is Fun

Matt,

Great article. Unfortunately, I think this will be the proverbial straw that breaks Nintendo's back. The only thing it is going to accomplish is to further alienate itself. Granted, the next generation has only begun on paper; however, Nintendo will maintain third place. Something it seems to be comfortable with.
I am a fan boy in his earlier '30s who has purchased all previous Nintendo consoles on day one. This news curbs enthusiasm and fosters the wait-and-see attitude for me and other potential buyers.

I wish the big N luck, I truly do. It's going to need it.

Matt responds: I hear you. I should note that my e-mail box was flooded with angry e-mail about this issue. I got thousands of e-mails over the weekend and I'm sure Nintendo of America's customer service department got a good chunk, too.

So, as could be predicted, it's time for a good old-fashioned rant. It's been, what, at least a week, right?

As some readers have already pointed out, Revolution's lack of high-definition support is particularly painful for me because I've long been a self-admitted technology nut. I'm the earliest of early adopters and have therefore already been on the high-definition bandwagon for several years. So sure, that sucks for me, but the bigger disappointment is the reasoning behind this decision, which is to save money. I hate to make absolute statements and so I won't. Clearly Nintendo still innovates. But in recent years, I've found that the company as a whole has taken fewer risks simply because it has been afraid to lose cash. This was why it ultimately didn't include DVD-playback in GameCube. (Note that Revolution is supposedly a pure gaming device, too, but it will play DVDs with a dongle.) It was why it didn't develop an online model this generation, despite momentum for online gaming on the other systems. And now it seems to be the reason why it won't include high-definition support in Revolution.

If you read any Nintendo message board at the moment, you'll see that fans everywhere are upset over this decision. There are also those who couldn't care less. They don't have a high-definition television at present and have no immediate plans to buy one. That's of course fine for them. But the thing is, there are people that do and every day there are more of them. Fact is, both Microsoft and Sony are pushing high-definition for their new systems, but Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 will still work on analog sets. Gamers with old TVs will never know what they are missing. On the other hand, HDTV owners who see just how great Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games look in high-definition will know exactly what they're missing every time they boot up Revolution and its games look low-res by comparison. Do you think any HDTV owner is going to be happy about that?

The new generation hasn't even started yet, and already Nintendo has alienated a growing market of gamers. Worse, it's alienated the early adopters, whom you want first and foremost to be in favor of your next system if you're a hardware manufacturer.

Videogames are technology-driven and yet Nintendo continues to dismiss new, important technologies. It's unfathomable. It's like a painter throwing away his paintbrushes because they are too expensive. I mean, I've tried to understand this approach, but I don't think it can be understood. No matter how you look at it, it makes no sense.

Nintendo's public excuse here will of course be that it is investing in new technology: just a different kind. It will say that graphics have reached a saturation point, which they haven't. (That's such public relations garbage. Until I can boot up a game that perfectly recreates reality so that the game world is indistinguishable from the real, graphics have not reached a saturation point.) It will say that gamers will understand everything when they see the new "revolutionary" controller. And you know, that might actually be true. The device might be the best thing ever. But with Nintendo, why does it always come down to an either/or decision? In this case, we either get high-definition games, or we get a weird, new controller. Why does a major sacrifice always have to made in order to innovate? Why can't we have both? It's such an off-the-wall approach to appeasing consumers. Imagine if Toyota came out and said, "Well, our new Camry will have a revolutionary new steering wheel, but because we're emphasizing this new wheel, we've cut down on horsepower by 300 percent." It'd be a disaster. And still, this is how Nintendo works, and everyone just accepts it.

I guess Nintendo can always fall back on the issue of cost. Perhaps by eliminating the hardware for high-definition gaming, it can sell Revolution at a slightly cheaper price. I expect the difference would be marginal, but that's another topic. Still, let's say it's significant. Did a cheaper price tag help GameCube sell better in the end? Nobody seemed to care. The majority of consumers went with the system that had the most games, which was PlayStation 2. Others were enticed by Xbox's technical specs and exclusives. Both systems were far pricier than GameCube and yet they outsold Nintendo's console.

No. As usual, I don't think Nintendo's decision to forego high-definition has anything to do with consumer benefits. It's thinking about itself. Which -- you know -- is kind of crap since we're all consumers and none of us are in fact Nintendo.

Gloom and doom mostly over. I'm quite sure that despite this lunatic decision Revolution will have its unique appeal. It'll still have a place in my living room. But I think it will become more niche due to a domino effect that's sure to happen. I predict less third-party support because cross-platform ports are sure to be more difficult. And as a result, I'm sure Revolution -- like GameCube -- will become a console for Nintendo fans.

Will there still be great games? Undoubtedly. Does that make Nintendo sane? Nope. It's officially crazy.
http://cube.ign.com/mail/2005-06-13.html