The 1 & Only Microsoft E3 2005 Discussion Thread

05/15/05: Link Update

Xbox 360 Game Trailers - Xbox 360 Game Screenshots

Let the carnage begin.

Xbox 360 News: IGN - Gamestop - TeamXbox

Xbox News: IGN - Gamespot - Gamespy - TeamXbox

List of Xbox 360 Titles that may make an appearance in some form at E3 2005:

Black
Developed by Criterion - Published by Electronic Arts. Black is being touted as a revolutionary first-person shooter that makes you feel as close to the power of your weapon as possible. It's being described as some as doing to the FPS genre what the Burnout series has done to the racing genre. The game has alread earned high praise from the media who were lucky enough to see an early build at E3 '05.

Perfect Dark 0
Developed by Rare - Published by Microsoft. The original Perfect Dark on the N64 was one of the most highly-acclaimed FPS shooters of all time and this prequel has been one of the most heavily sought-after games in recent memory. Rare hasn't quite been the same as the Rare of old in recent years, but they can redeem themselve with a blockbuster release of PDO, which has been *heavily* hinted at by many Microsoft officials in the know. Story: A secret war has begun - between shadowy corporations bent on world domination. Joanna Dark and her father Jack are caught up in the fight for the future of the planet. A routine bounty hunting mission rips open a global conspiracy that will change Joanna's destiny - forever.

Halo 3
Developed by Bungie - Published by Microsoft. Whether it's touted as Halo 2.5 or Halo 3 (or both) another installment in the highly popular Halo franchise is guaranteed to be released early on in XBN's lifecycle because it's easily A) One of the most anticipated sequels of all time B) a lock to sell millions of units and console C) the one franchise that signle-handidly helped Microsoft compete with Sony and Nintendo. The story has purposely been left unresolved and many lofty features the Bungie team hoped to include in Halo 2 were left out.

Dead or Alive 4
Developed by Team Ninja - Published by Tecmo. The heads of Team Ninja and Tecmo have both expressed great admiration for Microsoft's upcoming next-gen console and have hinted at strong support. DOA4 has been confirmed by Itagaki himself and will feature the best graphics ever seen in a fighting game, online play, and (likely) new characters and moves. Where DOA Ultimate was essentially an online update to DOA3, DOA4 will be a completely new game in the popular franchise.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivian
Developed and Published by Bethesda. The sequel to one of the best-selling Xbox RPG's will yet again release early in the life of Microsoft's console. The developer promises an open-ended RPG with great depth and upgraded visuals, AI, and an even grander game world.

Ninja Gaiden 2
Developed by Team Ninja - Published by Tecmo. Ninja Gaiden for Xbox was one of the greatest action games of all time, sporting razor-sharp graphics, unbelievable combat, and great gameplay. The sequel will likely see the light of day towards the middle of XBN's lifecycle. Expect a whole new adventure for our hero, Ryu, with new weapons, new environments, updated graphics, and more online competitions. Many of the compaints of the first (difficulty and camera) will likely be addressed in this much-anticipated sequel.

Madden NFL Football 2006
Developed by Tiburon - Published by Electronic Arts. This upcoming version of Madden Football will be the only game that included actual licensed NFL teams, stadiums, and players. Say what you want about EA, but you have to admit that Madden series has evolved into an extremely high-quality product, with accurate graphics, gameplay and tons (and I mean tons) of modes. It's time for the Madden series to receive an engine overhaul for the next-generation of systems, so expect this XBN version to be as close to lifelike as you've ever seen in a sports game. Online play will be awesome as well.

The Godfather
Developed and Published by Electronic Arts. You play as an original member of the Corleone family in this GTA-styled game based on the popular Godfather movie franchise and your goal is to successfully complete missions to rise in the ranks of power in the your mob family. EA wants to one up the GTA series with better graphics and a "create your own adventure" type of story where your actions and decisions result in a unique story centered around you. Will this be the first true GTA-killer? Did I just say that? I'm such an ass.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Developed by EA Canada - Published by Electronic Arts. Anyone who's seen the early test renders of what a next-gen Need for Speed may look like can attest to the fact that this return to its roots can end up playing and looking awesome! The emphasis this time around will be on police chases like in Hot Pursuit because running from the police is cool nowadays, right? But don't think it'll end there. Expect multiple game modes, including old-school racing and a robust online mode.

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Developed by Digital Illusions - Published by Electronic Arts. The original uber-online World War II game, Battlefield 1942, was supposed to be released on Xbox, but never saw the light of day for whatever reason, unfortunately. To make up for it, Electronic Arts has scheduled a next-generation console release of a new version of Battlefield for XBN. Expect this game to feature tight graphics and center around the online experience (huge battles, clans, etc.). Don't expect controls or gameplay to be highly complicated because this franchise is surprisingly easy to learn, but difficult to master.

Fable 2
Developed by Big Blue Box - Published by Microsoft. Haven't had your fill of sequels yet? Good, 'cause here's another. Sure, Fable didn't live up to its hype--didn't deliver on its graphics, open-endedness, or much of anything else, but what it did do was create a fun little RPG that sold well enough (over 1 million!) to warrant work on a sequel. Eventhough this game took forever to come out, Big Blue Box still had features that were left out, and they will likely try to fit some of those things into the next iteration; whenever it comes out.

Burnout Revenge
Developed by Criterion - Published by Electronic Arts. What else can be said about a franchise that has improved with each iteration? The most recent, Burnout 3, was easily one of the best games of 2004, although sales were lackluster. With tons of cars, modes, and hours of fun to have, Burnout 3 proved its worth and Criterion proved its skill. Burnout 4 will raise the bar of super fast-paced street racing even higher.

Project Gotham Racing 3
Developed by Bizzare Creations - Published by Microsoft. Not much has been said about this new version of Project Gotham Racing, but hints have been all over the place, and all the signs point to a next-gen online-enabled PGR at launch. While PGR2's sales left much to be desired, its quality is unquestioned. It integrated online play and features like few games before it. The second-best selling Xbox launch title will have a sequel on XBN that will wow just as much as the first did on the Xbox.

Gears of War
Developed by Epic. What's being described as a third-person action game where you will be able to ride creatures and shoot stuff is yet another Unreal 3 engine-based game from Epic Games. You know it's going to look mindblowing. The question remains: How will it play and what will differentiate it from the rest of the 3rd-person action pack?

Code Chronus
Developed by Team Ninja - Published by Tecmo. Code Cronus will focus on the relationship between Kasumi and Ayane. It begins at early childhood and moves on throughout the course of their lives. It will be an Action-Adventure game for Xenon. (credit: Das Scotter)

Kameo
Developed by Rare - Published by Microsoft. "Blending the heady thrills of exploration and puzzle-solving with the adrenaline rush of real-time 3D battles, Kameo: Elements of Power is an ambitious title from the makers of GoldenEye and Banjo-Kazooie. The concept mixes combat action with creature transformations, letting the title's female star morph into monsters and use their special powers against others." -IGN This title was supposedly transferred over from Xbox to Xbox 360 dev kits in an extremely short period of time and probably made more "edgier" with some bits of generic rage sprinkled on for good measure.

Condemned
Developed by Monolith - Published by Sega. "You are an FBI agent on the hunt in this gripping and sickening hunt for serial killers. The game is played in first-person perspective, and with the use of the Havok 3.0 physics engine and other advanced techniques, players can utilize anything in the area as a weapon when they've been cornered by their prey. -IGN" Early screenshots looked solid, though unspectacular (is that even a word? well, it should be).

Dark Sector
Developed by Digital Extremes. An early trailor showed Dark Sector off as a first-person shooter based in a futuristic, sci-fi setting. Digital Extremes are the well-known creators of the Unreal Championship franchise, so expect lots of brutality and guns. Dark Sector was also one of the first revealed next-gen titles and the early trailor showed high amounts of polygons per scene.

Quake IV
Developed by Neversoft/ID - Published by Activision. Continuing the Quake series from the second iteration, where you battled the Strogg, Quake IV now gives you access to vehicles and teammates to wage your war against the enemy on their homeworld. Using the beautiful Doom III engine and including a fast-paced Quake III style multiplayer mode, this new version of Quake should invoke all sorts of fond memories of the fragging days of 'yore.

More:

Shadowrun RPG
Mistwalker RPG #1
Avalon (vehicular combat)
Marvel vs. EA
FIFA Soccer 2006
NBA Live 2006
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2006
SSX 4
Urbz 2
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
James Bond: From Russia with Love
FIFA Street 2
DOA: Xtreme Sports 2
Tony Hawk's Underground 3
Ultimate Spider-Man
Call of Duty 2
Retribution FPS
Splinter Cell 4
Tomb Raider Next
Prince of Persia 3
Mistwalker RPG #2
Q Entertainment Title #1
Bioware (Unreal Engine) Title #1
Ghost Recon 3
Fuzion Frenzy 2
King Kong
Killing Day (Ubi Soft)
Game Republic Title #1
Game Republic Title #2
Phantagram Title
Conker 2

Possibles:

Sabreman Stampede
B.C.
Sega Football 2K6
Killer Instinct
Rallisport Next
Citizen Zero MMORPG
New Banjo
New Top Spin
New Amped
New Links Golf
Brute Force 2
Amusement Vision Game
True Fantasy Live Online
Soul Calibur Next
Panzer Dragoon Next
Vanguard
Factor 5 Title
Silicon Knights Title
Sega Arcade Racing Title
Digital Illusions Title
City of Metronome
Huxley MMOFPS
Oddworld Fangus
Virtua Fighter 5
Darkness (Starbreeze)
Obsidian Title (Unreal Engine)
Omikron: The Nomad
F.E.A.R.
Infraworld (Quantic Dream)
Project DIMITRI

Last edited by Flay; 05-28-05 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-11-05, 01:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hmm...a lot of the titles on that list that interest me are coming for PC as well. Same thing that kept me from buying a lot of titles on the current Xbox.
Old 05-11-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a damn good lineup to me. I can't wait to see Halo 3 and Quake IV on this system. Let's see how many posts it takes before someone starts bashing the xbox for having too many FPS games.
Old 05-11-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSX 4 on Xbox 360? I thought the makers said SSX On Tour wouldn't be on the next gen systems?

Besides that though, I'm impressed with the list.
Old 05-11-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Mmm...new Elder Scrolls

I would pay the 300-400 for a XBOX 360 if that was the only game released. Everything else is just a bonus.
Old 05-11-05, 01:34 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Mmm...new Elder Scrolls
Yes, that one caught my eye too. Hopefully they can reduce the load times with the new hardware.
Old 05-11-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A huge portion of that list are sequels to current-gen Xbox games that just seem to be pulled from a hat. Panzer Dragoon Next? Soul Calibur Next.. SCIII is already PS2 exclusive, though I guess another "version" could be planned. Actually, most of that list seems like a wish list, but if it's not there's a good few titles listed I'd be looking forward to.
Old 05-11-05, 01:46 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
A huge portion of that list are sequels to current-gen Xbox games that just seem to be pulled from a hat. Panzer Dragoon Next? Soul Calibur Next.. SCIII is already PS2 exclusive, though I guess another "version" could be planned. Actually, most of that list seems like a wish list, but if it's not there's a good few titles listed I'd be looking forward to.
The last portion is most likely a rumor/wish list. The first 2 sections are mostly confirmed.
Old 05-11-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The Xbox 360 is looking good at this point. Looking forward for some more of the Japanese lineup to be announced. Nothing announced so far interests me at all, but they get a couple of solid Japanese RPGs and temptation will start to build.
Old 05-12-05, 07:54 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by darkside
The Xbox 360 is looking good at this point. Looking forward for some more of the Japanese lineup to be announced. Nothing announced so far interests me at all, but they get a couple of solid Japanese RPGs and temptation will start to build.
I'm not holding my breath on Japanese support, but you never know what suprises E3 will bring.
Old 05-12-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)

Originally Posted by gamedreamz
"Ninety-Nine Nights"! In development at Q Entertainment, and headed by the famed Tetsuya Mizuguchi, this game looks to impress with shear scale! Our first image of the game shows a battle that would put Warcraft to shame. With what appears to be thousands of highly detailed models enagged in battle!

Mizuguchi is famous for his unique blending of Music and games to create titles like Lumines and Space Channel 5. "Ninety-Nine Nights" seems to be a radical departure from the usual for this famed developer! We should have a lot more on this title among others later tonight after the big MTV premiere!
Old 05-12-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any word on if KOTR 3 is being developed for the new X BOX 360? While the second one was disapointing, I'm hoping it can be redemmed.
Old 05-12-05, 03:58 PM
Retired

I'm hoping if there is a KOTOR 3 that Bioware will develop it again, instead of Obsidian who did 2.
Old 05-12-05, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm hoping if there is a KOTOR 3 that Bioware will develop it again, instead of Obsidian who did 2.
I'm not real familiar with Bioware except having played the first kotr. Does Bioware make sequels? If so, I do hope they get to work on kotr 3 again.
Old 05-12-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If that Shadowrun rumor turns out to be true, i shall shit my pants.
Old 05-12-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I'm not real familiar with Bioware except having played the first kotr. Does Bioware make sequels? If so, I do hope they get to work on kotr 3 again.
Yes, Baldur's Gate (not the Dark Alliance series, but the PC series). That's the only one they did AFAIK. I hear their next game is a nex-gen console title, so who knows...
Old 05-12-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd like to see a Top Spin sequel along with more games from Capcom and Konami. Still an impressive list at this early stage.
Old 05-12-05, 09:24 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Interesting Pre-E3 blurb:

At Microsoft's house last week, we met with five major executives for the most impressive and thorough set of demos we've ever experienced in gaming history. Vice President Of Japanese Goodness and all things English (OK, that's not his real title) Peter Moore spoke to us, showd us games, and outlines the major elements that are crucial for the Xbox 360.

"We have four must-haves for Xbox 360 games," said the subburnt, well-muscled Moore. "First, every game must have 720p minimum, and some developers want to go higher, which is fine by us. Second, every game must have 16x9 with no letterboxing allowed. Third, Every game will support Dolby 5.1 surround sound, and fourth, every game will will be anti-aliased with our built-in 2X anti-aliasing tools."

But that's really just the groundwork for Microsoft. Moore expounded on "Showcases." People will very soon be watching videogame tournaments, he said. You can watch Project Gotham Racer 3 in Spectator mode to simply watch and learn how pro gamers do it. In the future, hundreds of players can watch a tournament or a special battle, or another kind of special event.

Moore explained that episodic content will be a regular thing. Traditional publishing will change with free and paid-for downloadable content, with episodes coming every year or six months from various publishers.

Microsoft, he added, will publish at least three first-party games at launch Gears of War, Project Gotham Racing 3, and Kameo, plus, Perfect Dark Zero, which will have 64-player online capabilities..

"We have 160 Xbox 360 games in development right now, with 4,000 test units in developers hands across the world," Moore explained. "We'll launch 25-30 games until the new year and we're already tracking games into 2006 and 2007. We'll support Xbox 1 until end of year 2006, and there will be 85 Xbox games on the E3 show floor to prove it. But Microsoft's first-party teams will only be working on Xbox 360 games from here on out."
Old 05-13-05, 08:45 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...s_6124231.html

Microsoft also danced around the subject of backward compatibility--for the time being. "The obvious point that comes up that's always interesting to talk about is backward compatibility and it's something we will talk about at E3," said Bach. "We haven't been public with what's happening there for a lot of different reasons and that will end on Monday night. That's one of the few things I am bound by my own NDA not to discuss."
Old 05-13-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder why they're so tight-lipped on the subject? How much do you think it'll hurt Xbox 360 if it won't play original Xbox games, if at all? Is it important to the spec-heads? I know it's important to gamers.
Old 05-13-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think XBOX 360 will compete with PS3 even it launch in 2005 cuz without backward compatibility they lose alot interest to customer. As for myself I totally pickup PS3 & GC Revolution cuz they both backward compatibility but not sure about XBOX 360 unless it backward compatibility with all XBOX games.

I need more space for my ROOM !!
Old 05-13-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flay
I'm not holding my breath on Japanese support, but you never know what suprises E3 will bring.
I think Mist Walker is a big step for Microsoft and Japanese support. Sakaguchi and Toriyama are HUGE names in Japan. Sakaguchi is the father of Final Fantasy and Toriyama's hand in video games have brought us Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) and Chrono Trigger. It's hard to imagine those two making an RPG and NOT opening some eyes in Japan (and here for that matter).
Old 05-13-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the way MS is handling the console. I think their model for downloadable content is going to be a good one and should help make them much more profitable this time around. You pay $50 for your game and then if you really like it you could end up spending $10-20 more on upgrades down the road. While that could be looked on as negative it could help add a lot of gameplay to your game and keep you playing it months longer than normal.

It could also add more revenue for game developers and help them expand their budgets to make better games. One thing that hurts developers is the used game market. They get nothing from the sale of used games, but with this new model they could at least make money from that traded in game through downloadable add ons.

I know with a game like Tales of Symphonia I would have paid for some add on adventures I could have done with my characters. Not to mention the obvious add on maps and weapons for FPS games. I see potential in MS and their Live strategy. They still need solid software to sell those consoles though.
Old 05-13-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like the idea of downloading demos. There's a lot of games coming out I'm only slightly interested in and I'm sure getting to try some out could spite some impulse buys (wait, maybe that's not such a good idea!). I also think the Xbox Live Arcade was a good idea executed poorly that could be improved on big time next go around. I think that would be an excellent platform for some companies to make some more old-school flavored games like 2D platformers or shooters that could be downloadable for $10 or $15. I swear they mentioned something like that during the unrolling of the original XBL Arcade but nothing came of it.
Old 05-13-05, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
I like the way MS is handling the console. I think their model for downloadable content is going to be a good one and should help make them much more profitable this time around. You pay $50 for your game and then if you really like it you could end up spending $10-20 more on upgrades down the road. While that could be looked on as negative it could help add a lot of gameplay to your game and keep you playing it months longer than normal.
I have my xbox for racing games mostly and one thing I hate on Live is when I compete against people that have access to cars I have not unlocked. It obviously gives them an advantage.

Some would argue that it inspires me to try harder to unlock the game. Perhaps, but I did pay for this experience right? I mean, the Xbox, the game, Live kit, broadband access, etc. I'm spending $500 bucks for something and told that I have to work harder. Here's my paradox: How the hell do I work harder on a game when I'm busy busy working to pay for the damn game.

So now my point. The download content scares the hell out of me because I can really see games giving the advantage to the gamer that has invested the extra dollars to get the latest car, weapon, or whatever. So now again, I'm in a situation that I have to invest money to be on a level playing field.

Furthermore, the thought of games being released prematurally is far more "real" to me. Like so many PC games that get rushed out the door only to try and be "fixed" later, I can see this becoming a problem. Or what of the developer that chooses to specifically release a game shortened because they know they can sell content later on? Surly there is a balance here, I hope it is met and doesn't go the wrong direction it could so easily do.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.