XBox 360 (with PICS!!!)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox 360 (with PICS!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by noonan4224
I'm basically the exact same way. Grew up addicted to games. Still buy systems at launch and games but really don't play them too much unless I get hooked on a game, which hasn't happened in a while. This forum is great cause I can discuss many of my interests in the same place (games, DVD's, movies, sports...etc). I also sit in front of a computer all day at work, so I'm here a lot.
It's like we're twins.
Old 05-11-05, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I'm basically the exact same way. Grew up addicted to games. Still buy systems at launch and games but really don't play them too much unless I get hooked on a game, which hasn't happened in a while. This forum is great cause I can discuss many of my interests in the same place (games, DVD's, movies, sports...etc). I also sit in front of a computer all day at work, so I'm here a lot.
Wow, that's almost my story. Except I didn't get into video games (arcade) until I was 20 years old (1981). Then in the late 80's thru the mid 90's I played a lot of the systems that were out at that time. But as I got older, my enthusiasm became less and the games that have been coming out, really are not to my liking. I like strategy (nation building games) the most, and those usually only come out on the PC.

I wish they would put out Age of Empires III on the XBox. They have to figure out a way to make a controller that will give you the same flexibility as a mouse does on a PC game.

Plus, I also sit in front of a computer all day at work. And thank God for DVDTalk, or if I get fired because of this, damn you DVDTalk!

Chris
Old 05-11-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Wow, that's almost my story. Except I didn't get into video games (arcade) until I was 20 years old (1981). Then in the late 80's thru the mid 90's I played a lot of the systems that were out at that time. But as I got older, my enthusiasm became less and the games that have been coming out, really are not to my liking. I like strategy (nation building games) the most, and those usually only come out on the PC.

I wish they would put out Age of Empires III on the XBox. They have to figure out a way to make a controller that will give you the same flexibility as a mouse does on a PC game.

Plus, I also sit in front of a computer all day at work. And thank God for DVDTalk, or if I get fired because of this, damn you DVDTalk!

Chris
My biggest problem is that even though I really don't play games much, I still have the mindset of a hardcore gamer so I still spend WAY too much money on games that never get played. I finally, after about 10 years, let my gaming magazine subscriptions die out without renewal.

I agree 100% about AOE III. That is one game that will get my full attention when it is released.
Old 05-11-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
And I just bought an XBOX last week!

It's funny you should say that. While not an x box story, I had a little chuckle this week while at my local best buy. I was there picking up the new Star Wars soundtrack and video game when I over heard a salesman helping a customer purchase a new ps2. Now I know the ps3 isn't coming out for months to a year after the x box 2 is released, but I couldn't help but have the urge to go up to the lady and say save your money as a wave of new consoles are coming out soon. No, I kept it to myself. I guess I'm such an early adopter, that I can't believe someone would be buying a console this late in the game. I guess I don't know the situation. Maybe the lady who was buying it didn't have any money up until now. Who knows?

Maybe she was the smart one. Right now you have great cheap 3rd and 4th generations of games out with a huge variety to choose from. As we all know, when a new console comes out such as the new x box, very few titles are released not to mention good ones.

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 05-11-05 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-11-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Now I know the ps3 isn't coming out for months to a year after the x box 2 is released, but I couldn't help but go up to the lady and say save your money as a wave of new consoles are coming out soon.

For the love of God, please say that you didn't actually go up to the woman and tell her that. That's just about as rude and tacky as going up to someone who's buying a fullscreen DVD and telling them the advantages of widescreen.

What ever happened to people minding their own business?

If you didn't do that and I'm just misunderstanding, then I apologize for coming across like a dick. I just can't imagine someone actually doing something like that.

Last edited by lopper; 05-11-05 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-11-05, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by lopper
That's just about as rude and tacky as going up to someone who's buying a fullscreen DVD and telling them the advantages of widescreen.
You do realize that you are only getting about 80% of the movie when you buy a fullscreen DVD?

So I don't think that it is rude to tell them that. You are informing them of the advantages that widescreen has to offer. If they saw the movie in the theater, then that is usually what they are going to get with the widescreen version.

Of course if the lady in question never goes to the movies and only watches the chopped of versions of the movie on broadcast and UHF television, then fullscreen should be no problem for her.

Chris
Old 05-11-05, 06:27 PM

For the love of God, please say that you didn't actually go up to the woman and tell her that. That's just about as rude and tacky as going up to someone who's buying a fullscreen DVD and telling them the advantages of widescreen.

What ever happened to people minding their own business?

If you didn't do that and I'm just misunderstanding, then I apologize for coming across like a dick. I just can't imagine someone actually doing something like that.
No, I did not go up to her and say this. I also wouldn't go up to some one who buys fullscreen, although I do judge them. I'm not allowed to think this in my head though?

let me edit my previous post.

edit: Lol. no hard feelings. I didn't communicate well enough in my previous post. I also said early adapter instead of adopter. woops.

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 05-11-05 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Looking at the rumoured specs, surely they are making a loss again, even without the HD. But hard to say for sure.
This was my best guess as well. Just looking at the specs list and the date of launch for the console means Microsoft "should" be taking another loss if they still intend on releasing the 360 at the popular $299.99 price point. Add to this a 20GB HD, DVD burner, and Tivo functionality among others for another $60...sounds like another loss for them.

Mind you, I'm not complaing. This is exactly why competition is a good thing. If Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft were allowed to sweep the competition then consumers are the ones who will be at a loss.
Old 05-12-05, 02:12 PM
Banned

XPOSED!

http://www.cmd.tech.nhl.nl/users/roo...ages/360/1.jpg
http://www.cmd.tech.nhl.nl/users/roo...ages/360/2.jpg
http://www.cmd.tech.nhl.nl/users/roo...ages/360/3.jpg
http://www.cmd.tech.nhl.nl/users/roo...ages/360/4.jpg
Old 05-12-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, if I could read German it would be even cooler....I cannot wait!
Old 05-12-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
So looking over the specs I have noticed a couple things:

1. Everyone keeps throwing around "Tivo" functionality... is it actually Tivo brand software or generic MS software?
2. 20GB HD? Surely 40GB is in the cards. Think of save games, custom soundtracks, d/l content AND sufficient room to record TV shows? Eh-eh.. I don't think so. It would hold a miniscule amount of shows, especially at a high quality.
3. They are branding this an HD system, will the "Tivo" functionality record Hi-Def?

With all these features it would be nice if they just made it capable of expansion with an external firewire drive, instead of something proprietary.

I guess we find out later tonight.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-12-05 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 03:19 PM
Retired

It won't be "Tivo" just a DVR function, probably similar to the Ultimate TV box (or whatever it was called) MS put out a couple years back.

Tivo is just a case of a brand name coming to mean the product. Like Kleenex with tissues.
Old 05-12-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It won't be "Tivo" just a DVR function, probably similar to the Ultimate TV box (or whatever it was called) MS put out a couple years back.

Tivo is just a case of a brand name coming to mean the product. Like Kleenex with tissues.
That is what I figured, but with Tivo supposedly sinking, it wouldn't strike me odd that they would saddle up with the likes of MS to stay afloat, especially since they lost DirecTV. This would have been a good deal for them.
Old 05-12-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I can't imagine a 20 gig hard drive would be very useful for Tivo like functions. The smallest Series 2 Tivos come with 40 giggers, which gives you up to 40 hours of recorded content. BUT, that is at the lowest quality, which looks like crap. With 20 gigs, I bet you'd only get around 8 hours at high quality, and maybe 2 hours of HD, if it even supports that.
Old 05-12-05, 03:32 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I'm hoping that it'll be an HD-DVR (at least 40GB), especially if it has a dvd burner.
Old 05-12-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That is what I figured, but with Tivo supposedly sinking, it wouldn't strike me odd that they would saddle up with the likes of MS to stay afloat, especially since they lost DirecTV. This would have been a good deal for them.
They already saddled up with Comcast.
Old 05-12-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack

I also said early adapter instead of adopter. woops.

I almost pointed that out, but I figured out I'd practiced enough assholeary for one day. I apologize again if I came across as a total turd monster.

Back OT, those screens of Ghost Recon look really, really nice. I'm hoping that they'll show this game on the MTV special this evening.
Old 05-12-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I missed that. I have insight in my area. But none of it really matters to me if it doesn't do HD. Maybe an additional one to my current single tuner Tivo to catch the rare shows that run opposite each other.
Old 05-12-05, 04:19 PM

ghost recon looks really sweet
Old 05-12-05, 08:58 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Supposedly the translation from Engadget :

here is the detailed list I sent in that says a lot of the same stuff we already know

First info for you guys:
*It will be released in europe 7 days after USA
*December release in Japan
*Its released in less than six months
*Release games: Perfect Dark Zero, PGR3 and Kameo

More to come. I got the final specs, but I Dont know if its OK to post it here? The magazine is out so.

Oh you guys... the controllers look PERFECT! And so does the console!

**EDIT**
More info:
*10-16 game titles at the release. 40 games after half a year.
*The Xbox Silver thingy is correct, it will be there, and free.
*You will be able to transfer stuff from an ipod.
*You will see TV thru your Xbox.
*It can stand up and lie down.
*When you watch DVD, some stuff in the console will automaticly shut down - so its more quiet.
*You load the batteries on the controllers up via USB-cable on Xbox. You can also use simple batteries.
*The round thingy on the controller = "The ring of light". Its actually a screen, which says if there are any updates on Xbox Live. Downl. content and such. It also says which controllers there are in your hands, which number.
*Rallisport Challenge 3 will be on Xbox 360.
*The Darkness from swedish Starbreeze (Riddick).
*Peter Moore confirms Halo 3. Release this year.

I'll wrote Ghost Recon 3-info soon. Now I'll write down Peter Moore and J Allard interview.

Allard says:
*There will be face plates, to change. There will be one in colfiber (+spelling).
*By preventing piracy they will push more and more on Xbox Live.

Peter Moore says:
(strange) *THIS time we will have more than 1 million users. Does that mean that there wont be any transfer of the Xbox 1 users? Or that there wasnt over 1 million on Xbox 1?
*Nothing new about Square, nothing to be announced @ E3. But he will be surprised if there are NO Square-game on Xbox 360.

Going for Ghost Recon 3 now. There is alot of info, and I posted the most important over. I RESERVE myself for missunderstandings, cause I'm not THAT good in danish. Just ask me and I will tell you more about it.

Ghost Recon 3:
Okey, first of all. THIS ONE LOOKS HOT. Hot. HOT. HOT. GR 360 oh man you guys.

Oh man.

*Just some info about the story, bla bla. The PC-version is developed by the Deathrow-developers, so that the Red Storm Ent. cant concentrate on the Xb 360 and Xbox-version.

________

The looks:
*Xbox 360 looks just like the leaked pictures. Its not grey like on Our Colony, its white. But it can be changed.
*The controller seems to have 2 rear buttons and 2 triggers, not sure.
*A, B, C, Y, Back, Start.
*There is a picture of "Burning Sky". Seems like you can shut down the Xbox via the controller, by pushing "X" at that screen.
*The Xbox itself has wireless network thingy installed.
*Webcam in 1280-resolution.
*You can put pictures from a digital camera in it
*It supports, the machine:
16:9
720p
1080i
5.1 Dolby Digital
Custom Soundtracks of course
20 gb of harddrive, can be upgraded
Memory card, at least 64 mb
3 USB Ports
*Morrowind Oblivion will be released this year.
*About NBA 2k6, they saw a demo of it.
"Lebron James jumped up, and when he touched the grand all of the body shook. All the muscles moved realistic, EVERYTHING on the body.
*Nothing special about PGR3.
*Gears of War to be the best looking game, for a long long time.
*Dimitri, Peter Molyneux latest game, COULD be released on Xbox 360. Rumours.
*Call Of Duty 2 on Xbox 360, as we already knew.
*The Ghost Recon 3-article is actually wroten by this TXB-dude who went to Big Blue Box to play Fable. I am really really sorry I dont remember your name.

**THATS IT** I think
I'll read thru it again and see what I've missed. I'll try to answer your questions by reading this article.

Just some final stuff:
*Something Microsoft Vision will be on Xbox 360. You will see TV on your Xbox. AND at the same time Play DVDs AND surf on the internet. At the same time?!?! wtf?
While all this you can get invites to games, friend requests, mail. MS is hoping that 50% of the 360-owners will buy Live. Right now, ~8% uses it.
*In the middle of a game, by pushing a button you will get directly to the dashboard.

Oh, and finally and most important: J Allards game of the Xbox 360 is "Fisher Price Nuclear Plant".

Oh, and of course: Thousand thanks to the magnificant (+spelling) danish magazine Gamereactor which I took the info from. They rock, and so does Nexus1000. Mostly because he is pretty. And he has Britney as an avatar. In black hair.

**EDIT again*
The final specs, I guess its OK now cause some of it has already been posted without TXB-guys deleting:

CPU:
3 x IBM Power PC 3.2 ghz

Graphics:
Specially build ATI 500 mhz
10 mb of embedded RAM
512 mb GDDR3 RAM

Polygon capacity:
500 mill/sec

Shade capacity:
48 billions shaderoperations/sec

Harddrive: 20 gb, can be upgraded
12x Dual Layer DVD
Memory Card, 64 mb+

3 USB-ports, 1 back 2 front
2 some kind of ports, dont know what it means

Ethernet-port
Preparded for Wi-fi 802.11
Prepared for webcamera (1280 resolution)

DVD-laser:
DVD-video, DVD-rom, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, Mp3 CD, JPEG Photo-CD

Streaming:
From Windows XP PC, pics and movies from digital camera which you then cand send via Xbox Live to others.

ALL, read ALL games support:
16:9, 720p, 1080i, 5.1 Dolby Digital, custom soundtracks.
Old 05-12-05, 09:18 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

TeamXbox updated with a shitload of info about the XBox360. Must have been a NDA until the MTV show aired.
Old 05-12-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At this point, all I want to know is if the thing will be backwards compatible. I want a definite answer from someone official, and I want it soon.

I've actually got money riding on it.
Old 05-12-05, 09:27 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

At this point, all I want to know is if the thing will be backwards compatible. I want a definite answer from someone official, and I want it soon.

I've actually got money riding on it.
Interesting note from the TeamXbox article:

The Friends List on the Xbox 360 will not only show other 360 gamers, but your friends playing the original Xbox as well. Here’s the kicker, you can send messages between the two consoles too. It will be nice to rub it in the faces of your friends that don’t have an Xbox 360 by sending invites to games like Ghost Recon 3 and Perfect Dark Zero, right?
Perhaps a hint at backwards compatibility.
Old 05-12-05, 09:39 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/game/200505121/index.html
Old 05-12-05, 09:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'm sold.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.