Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Jade Empire : Rewiews and Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I'm on closed fist and I have nearly 30 hours in chapter 6.

My wife is open palm and she's 25 hours and just about to chapter 7.
Old 04-26-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I'm on closed fist and I have nearly 30 hours in chapter 6.

My wife is open palm and she's 25 hours and just about to chapter 7.
Interesting. So on some of those side quests, when a character asks you whether you want to do some convoluted quest, and you can either answer "sure" or "I'd rather kill you instead", can you actually kill them and complete the quest that way?

BTW, just finished the game today... loved the
Spoiler:
voiceover over the credits.

Spoiler:
"What's the hardest part making the game? The reloads. Do you have any idea how hard it is to piece together a shattered golem? And all the blood splattering on the wall..."

That, plus Dawn Star talking about her "previous occupation"

Took me 21 Hrs and 29 minutes, playing Open Palm all the way, and doing all the sidequests available (I think I missed a couple, not including the ones available only to closed fist). So the game is a little short, but like I said before, it makes it easier to replay...

Last edited by fujishig; 04-28-05 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-28-05, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just beat the game for the first time, went through completely closed fist. Damn here I thought Knights of the Old Republic had a slightly evil ending, KOTOR's dark side ending had nothing on Jade Empire's closed fist ending.
Old 05-02-05, 08:29 AM

I'm somewhere near the end of the 2nd chapter, and while I am enjoying the game a lot and the story / characters, I'm finding the fighting a bit annoying.

Your freedom of movement dies when a battle starts. It's as if invisible walls are put up to keep you in an arena. And if you back up into it, the enemy seems to be able to beat you more and the camera sometimes gets wonky.
Old 05-02-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by njchris
I'm somewhere near the end of the 2nd chapter, and while I am enjoying the game a lot and the story / characters, I'm finding the fighting a bit annoying.

Your freedom of movement dies when a battle starts. It's as if invisible walls are put up to keep you in an arena. And if you back up into it, the enemy seems to be able to beat you more and the camera sometimes gets wonky.
You can move around freely, just hold both triggers to break the target.
Old 05-02-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well, the closed fist game is pretty weak....in my opinion. I thought it would be something more than just doing the noticeable evil thing in each situation. Is KOTOR (1 or 2) like this for the dark side mode? I have always done "good side" and assumed that the story would adjust to the decisions I had made. Maybe that's asking a little much, but isn't that what they advertised?
Old 05-06-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
I'm about 12 hours in on the end of Chapter 3. Can someone tell me where to find the gd flying mosquito thing?? I just finished up saving the forest, and now every time I return to the Dam Site for my flying mosquite (or whatever you call it) I can't find it? Is the Dam Site where it's at?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-06-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm about 12 hours in on the end of Chapter 3. Can someone tell me where to find the gd flying mosquito thing?? I just finished up saving the forest, and now every time I return to the Dam Site for my flying mosquite (or whatever you call it) I can't find it? Is the Dam Site where it's at?

Thanks in advance!
You mean the dragonfly? You have to go to the Pirate's lair to get it.
Old 05-06-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks in advance!
Spoiler:
I think it's the western most place on the map
Old 05-06-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Thanks guys.

I just got the windmap - so I know I already have the Dragonfly around somewhere - I just can't find it!! It's getting really frustrating.
Old 05-06-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys.

I just got the windmap - so I know I already have the Dragonfly around somewhere - I just can't find it!! It's getting really frustrating.
Talk to everyone in the teahouse.
Old 05-31-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over the past two days, I finally played & beat Jade Empire - I went through almost entirely Open Palm (save for one or two choices) and beat the game in 17-18 hours (on Master). I think I got all the side-quests too (at least, I didn't have any left that were available), including the Furnace, and unlocked all the mini-games. I'm even fairly sure I talked to most of my followers often to get their history and had the lesbian romance with the princess. I think what was most disappointing to me, is that there seemed to be a lot of side quests in the first three chapters, and barely any in the last four (the last four chapters flew by in about 5 hours). The combat was definitely less strategic than I thought it would be - I used transformation only a few times, never used support styles, and mostly relied on the dragon sword and the thousand fist style. However, dodging is a must.

Regardless, I'll prob. play through as a Monk with a spear next time for the Closed Fist ending.

Last edited by Liquid Death; 05-31-05 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-31-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
Over the past two days, I finally played & beat Jade Empire - I went through almost entirely Open Palm (save for one or two choices) and beat the game in 17-18 hours (on Master). I think I got all the side-quests too (at least, I didn't have any left that were available), including the Furnace, and unlocked all the mini-games. I'm even fairly sure I talked to most of my followers often to get their history and had the lesbian romance with the princess. I think what was most disappointing to me, is that there seemed to be a lot of side quests in the first three chapters, and barely any in the last four (the last four chapters flew by in about 5 hours). The combat was definitely less strategic than I thought it would be - I used transformation only a few times, never used support styles, and mostly relied on the dragon sword and the thousand fist style. However, dodging is a must.

Regardless, I'll prob. play through as a Monk with a spear next time for the Closed Fist ending.
I had some big disappointments in many areas that I felt needed to be beefed up or balanced better. However, nothing that actually kept me from enjoying myself, so I too will be playing through again. Ultimately I was very satisfied and felt it was a good game, but not anywhere near worth the ratings it has gotten.

It has the Bioware feel to it, but is also lacking in the same area, feeling like there should be more. So I wonder if Bioware just ran out of something (time, space, hardware ability, etc.) and couldn't ultimately make the game they wanted to make.

Oh well, still fun and I'd still recommend it. But, I can't wait to see if they do a sequel and flesh out what I feel is only the skeleton of a potentially awesome series.
Old 05-31-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
In EGM, I think in the rumors section, but perhaps in the section where they were revisiting Jade Empire, they said that the game had been short because they were holding some of it back for a sequel. In the section revisiting Jade Empire, they also mentioned that they wanted people to play through it with different characters as well, that the dice game was done mainly for the animation of the dice (or something like that), and that the reason they didn't revamp the KOTOR-style menus was that they didn't want to change too many things at once.
Old 05-31-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
In EGM, I think in the rumors section, but perhaps in the section where they were revisiting Jade Empire, they said that the game had been short because they were holding some of it back for a sequel. In the section revisiting Jade Empire, they also mentioned that they wanted people to play through it with different characters as well, that the dice game was done mainly for the animation of the dice (or something like that), and that the reason they didn't revamp the KOTOR-style menus was that they didn't want to change too many things at once.
I'm OK with holding some back for a sequel, but to me that mainly applies to story and area. That doesn't account for most of the disappoints I had.
Old 05-31-05, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by outer-edge
I had some big disappointments in many areas that I felt needed to be beefed up or balanced better. However, nothing that actually kept me from enjoying myself, so I too will be playing through again. Ultimately I was very satisfied and felt it was a good game, but not anywhere near worth the ratings it has gotten.

It has the Bioware feel to it, but is also lacking in the same area, feeling like there should be more. So I wonder if Bioware just ran out of something (time, space, hardware ability, etc.) and couldn't ultimately make the game they wanted to make.

Oh well, still fun and I'd still recommend it. But, I can't wait to see if they do a sequel and flesh out what I feel is only the skeleton of a potentially awesome series.
I finished the game a couple weeks ago, but looking back, I enjoyed the game a great deal. I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought that Jade Empire was very well-paced game (but perhaps not a conventionally paced RPG). I've always liked how Bioware places most of the subquests at the beginning of the game. From a story standpoint it makes sense to me, because I wouldn't spend all my time looking for a girl's teddy bear at the climax of some sort of world-shattering event either. There was some focus on your supporting cast, but the game made sure that you knew that your character was THE main character.

My big beef was that the combat system felt pretty shallow. I stopped using support styles after I realized that they killed humans way too easily.
Old 05-31-05, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I was just spoiled by the format of KOTOR - a beginning world, four big areas to explore (all with sidequests), and an ending. Really, Chapters 4-7 were kinda like one long ending, with a few different areas, but no sidequests. So I just felt like half the game was missing (in that there were only two big areas to explore w/ sidequests). Again, I guess I just expected too much - I had a fun time with the game tho, but combat could've used some polishing.
Old 06-23-05, 11:50 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Got this game yesterday from an Ebay transaction for $25 shipped.

I have no idea how some of you finished this in 12 hours. I'm at the 5 hour mark and just entered the large town in chapter 2. I have completed most of the subquests along the way.

I really love the fighting system of this game. If they are involved with Kotor 3, I hope they use this system. It's really quite fun, especially the jumping. I also enjoy the simplification of the inventory & equipment system. It's nice not having to tediously find the best combo of items, like in Kotor.

The storyline is quite involved as well. I'm digging the twists so far and I think I have a few figured out. I'm going to play more tonight and see where the path of the Open Palm leads me.
Old 06-23-05, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flay
I really love the fighting system of this game. If they are involved with Kotor 3, I hope they use this system. It's really quite fun, especially the jumping.
Those were exactly my thoughts. This fighting system would work perfect with KoToR.
Old 08-11-08, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Bumpity bump.

I just downloaded this as an XBox classic. So far I'm enjoying it.

A quick question -- I've learned two techniques so far (the one for solving the lion puzzle and the one from the scrolls scattered around town). Do I need to do anything special to activate or equip them?
Old 08-12-08, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
If you only have 2 skills they might be automatically mapped, but if not, you can go to the inventory and assign each one to a different direction on the D-pad. You can have 4 active at one time and switch between them with the D-pad in the middle of a fight.

Then again, I might be getting techniques mixed up with those bonus attribute things (can't remember if those are called techniques or something else).
Old 08-12-08, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Thanks Tuan Jim -- I figured it out. Techniques are the bonus attribute things. You're thinking of styles. The techniques are automatically equipped, no further action required.

By the way, for anybody who never played this, it's well worth a download if you enjoyed KoToR or Mass Effect.
Old 08-12-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I picked this up brand new (platinum hits version, nod to CAG) at Sears for $1 last year, and it's been sitting on my shelf. I never got around to buying it when it was first released.

So JasonF, you're enjoying it? I may jump on it for a bit this weekend...KOTOR really doesn't run all that well on the 360, so I wonder how Jade does, and if it differs in how it runs off disc vs download.
Old 08-12-08, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I picked this up brand new (platinum hits version, nod to CAG) at Sears for $1 last year, and it's been sitting on my shelf. I never got around to buying it when it was first released.

So JasonF, you're enjoying it? I may jump on it for a bit this weekend...KOTOR really doesn't run all that well on the 360, so I wonder how Jade does, and if it differs in how it runs off disc vs download.
It's running very smoothly off download, but I don't know if disc-based would be any different.