Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ah! Dreamcast Memories!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blakader
You need to get it for the dreamcast. I'm not sure of what the saturn had but there were more than the 3 tracks from the arcade version. Man was it fun.
I looked up the reviews. Seems like it had the five tracks from the second version, and 3 extra. Damn, I need to track this down. I used to be a die hard Daytona fan.
Old 01-31-05, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ "Do you know where I can find some sailors?"

I remember the ridiculous dialogue in that game. Great game though, I finished it.

I still pick mine out and play Fire Pro D every once in a while. That, Power Stone 2, and Guilty Gear.
Old 01-31-05, 08:31 AM

maxpower, in answer to your question, RE:Nemesis (which is RE:3), doesn't compare to CV in terms of graphics. It looks like a direct port from PS1. It was still fun, though, and unlike CV, I was able to finish it!
Old 01-31-05, 08:57 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved this system as well...bought it at launch. Wish I would have never sold it. I loved Phantasy Star Online....I played it for hours and hours...I was also glad I got to play for free. Also got many a hours out of Quake 3 and House of the Dead 2 with the Starfire Blaster. Great system...it will always hold a special place in my heart.

wlj
Old 01-31-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Soul Reaver and Marvel vs Capcom II were 2 of my favorite games on DC.
Old 01-31-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I looked up the reviews. Seems like it had the five tracks from the second version, and 3 extra. Damn, I need to track this down. I used to be a die hard Daytona fan.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=923289
Old 01-31-05, 12:08 PM

Anyone here ever play Maken X?

WAY too hard, but what I got to see was definitely sweet.
Old 01-31-05, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by gorgo99
maxpower, in answer to your question, RE:Nemesis (which is RE:3), doesn't compare to CV in terms of graphics. It looks like a direct port from PS1. It was still fun, though, and unlike CV, I was able to finish it!

fyi it's a PORT of the PC version of RE3:Nemesis. The DC was both lauded and ridiculed for it's ease of Porting PC titles. Remember the developement team that ported Quake 1 to show how easy it was to do. I think they did it in a day. Anyhow this made it easy for PC developers to get into consoles. Yet the critics complained of the DC getting inferior PC ports. Whatever... I think the xbox is doing fine getting their inferior PC ports

Anyhoo.. yes DC is my favorite systems too! I've got a complete US collection, imports i had to have!, kiosk, multitudes of accessories, and I think I lost count of how many systems I have
Old 01-31-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Either way the DC was a useful testing ground for MS technology, so it's all good .

I've got more DC games than any other platform so that says something. The only one I still play regularly is House of the dead 2. Playing that with 2 light guns is a blast (and bloody hard). I'm about 1/2 way through a grandia 2 replay. That was a solid rpg, and very sweet graphics. Never could get into skies of arcadia due to the frequency of random battles, which was a damn shame. Other great games were gauntlet legends (incredible fun for 4 players), guilty gear x, shenmue (still haven't played much of 2 yet), tennis 2k2 (the best tennis game by far until top spin came around).

I don't think it was until FFX came out for the ps2 that I thought, wow finally a ps2 game that actually looks better than a DC game.
Old 01-31-05, 10:42 PM

I remember getting my first DC on midnight. I think hardware midnight releases originated from DC in the U.S. This system is still the best system for fighting games and shooters. Its sad that 2-d fighting and shooters are dead now. Wouldn't it be sweet if Sega and Nintendo teamed up for a console?

Zombie Revenge also rocked as did Tee Off. It was also the first system with Homebrewn games and modded leds, fans, case mods, etc.
Old 01-31-05, 10:50 PM

I had a friend who worked for compusa so I got all kinds of discounts. I got HotD 2 with two lightguns, the racing wheel for MSR and the keyboard and mouse. I have never bought so many peripherals and games for any system before or since. Xbox is close in amount of games but in the short time DC was a great console.
Old 01-31-05, 11:12 PM

Ebgames has DC's for $19. And they are doing "15 used games for $50". Might just have to bring a DC back into my house.

You know, I think one thing that hurt the DC was the ease of which you could copy games. I had friends who had just about every game in the catalog, and trust me, they weren't eh....original disks.
Old 01-31-05, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Calico
Ebgames has DC's for $19. And they are doing "15 used games for $50". Might just have to bring a DC back into my house.

You know, I think one thing that hurt the DC was the ease of which you could copy games. I had friends who had just about every game in the catalog, and trust me, they weren't eh....original disks.

I don't really think that hurt the Dreamcast. Most people don't do that, and if anything it got some people to actually go out and buy the system. You can pirate every game in the world, that doesn't change the fact that they just didn't really sell enough hardware. I seem to recall Sega's games sold per system was actually pretty high. But, well, their user base was relatively small at only a few million at most.

I think the two things that really hurt Dreamcast were Sega's shitty reputation due to the performances of Saturn and 32x and Sega CD (and therefore poor cash flow). Sega couldn't afford to keep DC afloat with the amount of units they sold. But most importantly, that Sony video game thing that came out a year later. DC was a great system, but once PS2 came out, it was a quick trip to the grave for Sega's little system. Even if DC was piracy proof, there was no way Sega was going to be able to withstand the PS2, and then the Xbox and Gamecube. Perhaps if they had had a larger userbase by the time the PS2 came out, but alas, it didn't happen.
Old 02-01-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up 2 sega light guns + hotd2 in japan for about 2500 yen which was pretty sweet .
Old 02-01-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of the other problems with the DC is that a lot of their supposed big guns are just not mainstream sellers no matter how well you advertise them, games like Shenmue, Seaman, Jet Grind Radio.

Also with arcade games being less relevant these days, then its harder to sell a console purely on arcade->home conversions.
Old 02-01-05, 01:50 AM

I think the main thing that killed the DC was the stubborn-ness of 3rd party developers. The system was known for its ease to develop games for, yet EA, and Square refused to support Sega. Even Namco, making the best graphics game at the time (soul calibur) made only 1 other game - Mr. Driller. Video games is a dirty business and only few justices have ever been done for the hardcore and fans.
Old 02-01-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It really does amaze me how the graphics on the DC still hold up pretty well...almost 6 years after its release.
Old 02-01-05, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
It really does amaze me how the graphics on the DC still hold up pretty well...almost 6 years after its release.
Well, it's only a year older than PS2, and 2 years older than XBox and GC. I recall when PS2 came out, the graphics in those initial releases weren't really any better than what the DC could push out. While I doubt DC would be as impressive as the better titles on XBox, it probably would be not too far away from PS2 if people were still making games for it.
Old 02-01-05, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Well, it's only a year older than PS2, and 2 years older than XBox and GC. I recall when PS2 came out, the graphics in those initial releases weren't really any better than what the DC could push out. While I doubt DC would be as impressive as the better titles on XBox, it probably would be not too far away from PS2 if people were still making games for it.
This I believe in. The DC is prob the system with the MOST games running at 60 fps. I love smooth framerates
Old 02-02-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shenmue is the game ill remember most on the Dreamcast. God i love that game! After i finished it it instantly became one of my all time favorite games. I was gonna replay it sometime but lost a bit of interest when i bought Shenmue II on Xbox and saw the Shenmue Movie DVD it came with. Also, the Crazy Taxi games were a blast as well!
Old 02-02-05, 01:28 AM

Shenmue...i still have it shrinkwrapped...will play it at some point...also crazy taxi was a blast...for the short time I had that system ..I played the hell out of it...online with quake, ut, daytona, nfl2k1, evo 4x4, pso(countless hours..well over 200 maybe even 400) and that was on just one character which i only got to about level 60 or 70...I never got around to a second character. My buddies online had multiple characters ..maxed ( 8-O). And then offline with aforementioned crazy taxi, house of the Dead2, RE:CV etc. etc. In retrospect..i think DC will forever live in my memory as the best console experience I have ever had. ..
Old 02-02-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by thegame370
I was gonna replay it sometime but lost a bit of interest when i bought Shenmue II on Xbox and saw the Shenmue Movie DVD it came with. Also, the Crazy Taxi games were a blast as well!
How is the DVD?I am going to pick up Shenmue II soon and was wondering if i should just watch the Movie DVD instead of playing through part 1.
Old 02-02-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I regretfully sold mine with a ton of games along with the keyboard/mouse and fishing controller.

But, late last year I went and bought another one. Such a great system. I agree with a lot of the posters who say the graphics still hold up today. Heck, It's amazing how great MDK2 looks (that game is just TOO HARD!!) even compared to some PS2/Xbox games.

Still need to track doen a copy of SF Rush 2049....stunt mode was just too fun!
Old 02-02-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn you guys and your Dreamcast appreciation thread! Now I had to go dig mine out of the closet to play some MvC2, Fire Pro D, and some Daytona.
Old 02-02-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn...I am going to have to do the same...I will probably pick up a used one at EB...I need to play some Giant Gram now...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.