Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1/Only PSP Discussion Thread (No silly behavior allowed)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The 1/Only PSP Discussion Thread (No silly behavior allowed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When is MVP coming out? I saw it in this weeks Best Buy ad, but seen it listed as early May at some different sites. Anyone know for sure when it's due?
Old 04-26-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Both EB Games and Gamestop show a 5/17 release for MVP.
Old 04-26-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit
My Dell order was delayed another week (at least).
Same here.
Old 04-26-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Finally got to use my PSP for an extended amount of time on the plane from Minneapolis to Palm Springs this weekend, and it was awesome! Watched Star Wars, which looked incredible... only took up about 400 megs. Strange, though... the episode of Harvey Birdman I made had the audio go out of sync after a couple minutes. But the entire 2 hours of star wars was fine. I used the same encoder for both (PSPVideo9), and my computer has more than enough horsepower to encode video property. Oh well... it was great having such a cool timepasser on the plane, and the little kids sitting next to me on the way there were very jealous!
Old 04-26-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by karnblack
Same here.
Me, too.
Old 04-26-05, 03:43 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The logitech case is awesome! Picked up today from Game Rush for $19.99. The coolest feature is you can stick photo's inside the case, so when shut, you can view your favorite one!
Old 04-26-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Finally got to use my PSP for an extended amount of time on the plane from Minneapolis to Palm Springs this weekend, and it was awesome! Watched Star Wars, which looked incredible... only took up about 400 megs. Strange, though... the episode of Harvey Birdman I made had the audio go out of sync after a couple minutes. But the entire 2 hours of star wars was fine. I used the same encoder for both (PSPVideo9), and my computer has more than enough horsepower to encode video property. Oh well... it was great having such a cool timepasser on the plane, and the little kids sitting next to me on the way there were very jealous!

Can you tell me the specific settings you used to get a 2 hour movie down to 400MB? I have tried multiple times and had very poor results (jaggy jerky picture). Did you use one of the presets or a custom setting?
Old 04-28-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
So, anyone get NBA Street yet?

I'm a little worried about what the reviews say:
1. There's some delay in the game... so there's like a split second delay from when you input a button press to when it happens on screen. Maybe it's because the way you do different tricks, the system has to differentiate between a button press and a button hold?
2. Framerate issues
3. Team rosters are old (Webber still in Sac, Antoine Walker not in Boston), and there's no way to trade between teams

Anyone have firsthand experience with this game?
Old 04-29-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got a question regarding this wireless thing... (I'm new at this wireless stuff, so please forgive me if this question sounds stupid)

Just found out that I bar I frequent is set up for wireless internet. If I bring my PSP in there and turn it on, can I play Lumines or MLB baseball against someone else via the internet?
Old 04-29-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I got a question regarding this wireless thing... (I'm new at this wireless stuff, so please forgive me if this question sounds stupid)

Just found out that I bar I frequent is set up for wireless internet. If I bring my PSP in there and turn it on, can I play Lumines or MLB baseball against someone else via the internet?
First of all, you're going to bring your PSP to a bar?

Second, I think Lumines is only ad-hoc, not infrastructure, so you wouldn't be able to play through the internet without some kind of tunnelling program, which would require a PC. You could play with other PSPs on that same network, though. Not sure about MLB, though, as I think the 989 games were mostly online-play enabled (MVP will most likely not have it, though). The only non-989-sports game that has infrastructure mode enabled is Twisted Metal, I think (unless a newer game like ATV has it too). There are a few that show infrastructure mode on the box (like Darkstalkers), but I guess the label is wrong.
Old 04-29-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
First of all, you're going to bring your PSP to a bar?

Second, I think Lumines is only ad-hoc, not infrastructure, so you wouldn't be able to play through the internet without some kind of tunnelling program, which would require a PC. You could play with other PSPs on that same network, though. Not sure about MLB, though, as I think the 989 games were mostly online-play enabled (MVP will most likely not have it, though). The only non-989-sports game that has infrastructure mode enabled is Twisted Metal, I think (unless a newer game like ATV has it too). There are a few that show infrastructure mode on the box (like Darkstalkers), but I guess the label is wrong.
Don't know if I understood all that, but are you saying that if I brought my PSP into the bar, and someone else brought their PSP into the same bar, and we both had Lumines on it, we could play against each other?
Old 04-29-05, 02:21 PM

Don't know if I understood all that, but are you saying that if I brought my PSP into the bar, and someone else brought their PSP into the same bar, and we both had Lumines on it, we could play against each other?

Yes!

I cant help but think that your post sounds like a joke:

So, a PSP, a DS, and an NGAGE walk into a bar.......
Old 04-29-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. but you couldn't play with someone that's not there.
Old 04-29-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrmagoo
So, a PSP, a DS, and an NGAGE walk into a bar.......
Careful. You can get reported to the mods for this! Remember what it says in the thread title: "No silly behavior allowed".
Old 04-29-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Correct me if I'm wrong...

You could play Lumines with someone else in that bar (assuming they have a PSP and Lumines too), but you could also go back to your place and play Lumines. That's what people do when they leave a bar together right? Go play videogames?

My point is that games that support ad-hoc mode (Lumines) don't require wireless internet access. 2 games in ad-hoc mode will find each other and you can play PSP to PSP.
Old 04-29-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit
Correct me if I'm wrong...

You could play Lumines with someone else in that bar (assuming they have a PSP and Lumines too), but you could also go back to your place and play Lumines. That's what people do when they leave a bar together right? Go play videogames?

My point is that games that support ad-hoc mode (Lumines) don't require wireless internet access. 2 games in ad-hoc mode will find each other and you can play PSP to PSP.
How well does ad-hoc mode work through walls? I wonder if you could be playing someone at the bar who is actually in the bathroom playing while taking a dump?
Old 04-30-05, 11:47 AM

I'm having a lot of trouble putting video's on my psp. I've tried using PSPVideo9 and the UGB Converter and I encountered the same problem on both. I can put pictures on the PSP fine, but large files won't transfer. It says it can't find the specified source and then disconnects my usb connection. It's frustrating and forgive me if this is among the many pages of this thread already, but I'm a loss as to what to do.
Old 04-30-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I want to give another thumbs up to the Logitech case. Its a bit bulky, but its very strong so there are no worries tossing it in my backpack. I'm just thankful for accessory options from a quality company instead of the usual Pelican crap we are stuck with. Its also nice that you can put your own art inside the lid. This is what I have on the front of mine.
Old 05-01-05, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey everyone! My roommate has been working on a PSP organizer, and he would like some feedback. I haven't had time to play with it yet, but it seems pretty cool. It's a program that has a drag and drop interface for organizing your photos, movies, music, and game saves between your PSP and your PC. It also automatically converts the files into the proper formats. The program is still in the alpha stage and he's still adding and refining features, but he says he's ready for some feedback.

Features:

* Import common audio files, converting to MP3
- .wav
* Import common image files, converting to JPG and resizing for the PSP screen
- .bmp
- .png
- .gif
- .mng
* Import common video files, converting to MP4 and resizing for the PSP screen
- .avi
- .mpg
- .vob
- .wmv
* Copies files from PC to PSP, and from PSP to PC

Additions from 0.1:

* General
- Lists now sort better – root folder first, then subfolders
- Rudimentary code to guess your PSP drive letter (if PSP in USB mode when PSP Organizer starts)
- Customized application icon
* Photo tab
- Image preview now scales based on image size (no more stretching!)
- Image dimensions now displayed
- Double-click the image thumbnail to open the image file on your computer
* Music tab
- Play buttons added – opens your preferred MP3 player
* Video tab
- Re-title your MP4 videos! (Without re-encoding them!!!)
- Double-click the video thumbnail to open the video file on your computer
* Game tab
- Added the windows and buttons for the Game tab. (did not exist in v0.1)

Check it out here:

http://www.net-night.com/NetNightFor...d.php?tid=1270

Keep in mind that he's hosting this from his personal web server so if it gets slammed he'll probably put a torrent up.

I hope everyone has fun with this, and remember to back up your memory card BEFORE playing with this program.
Old 05-01-05, 05:07 AM

Anyone else use SonicStage to convert/transfer their mp3 to attrac3plus format to their PSP? It was working fine for me but now I'm unable to do such. I upgraded to the SonicStage 3.1 and still same issue. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
bruce
Old 05-01-05, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else have Tiger Woods? I'm noticing a couple of strange bugs either with the game or my PSP. Sometimes the sound will mess up after a load screen. The sound will be all crackly and garbled. Putting the system into standby and turning it back on will fix it though.

The other error which is even worse is when I try to go and save and quit during a match sometimes the system will freeze. It will stay frozen for about 5 seconds and then the system will power down completely. This really sucks because I lose all my progress on the course. This has happened to me three times so far.

Just wondering if these are bugs in the game or if my PSP has problems.
Old 05-01-05, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bruce_S
Anyone else use SonicStage to convert/transfer their mp3 to attrac3plus format to their PSP? It was working fine for me but now I'm unable to do such. I upgraded to the SonicStage 3.1 and still same issue. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
bruce
Yes. For some dumb reason Sony does not allow you to tranfer atrac files to Pro memory sticks. You can tranfer them to the regular Duo sticks, but it will not work with the Duo Pro ones. You can only transfer MP3 files.
Old 05-01-05, 07:06 AM

Got NBA Street this week. It's an ok game and I'd only recommend it if your a huge basketball fan. Yes the rosters are old, I was pissed to find out that Mobley still plays for Orlando in the game. I'm hoping they bring the ESPN series to the PSP in October
Old 05-02-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
Anyone else have Tiger Woods? I'm noticing a couple of strange bugs either with the game or my PSP. Sometimes the sound will mess up after a load screen. The sound will be all crackly and garbled. Putting the system into standby and turning it back on will fix it though.

The other error which is even worse is when I try to go and save and quit during a match sometimes the system will freeze. It will stay frozen for about 5 seconds and then the system will power down completely. This really sucks because I lose all my progress on the course. This has happened to me three times so far.

Just wondering if these are bugs in the game or if my PSP has problems.
darkside - I've had this game from day one, and have played it much more than any other PSP game I have so far, and have never experienced either of those two problems.
Old 05-02-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My wife has given me permission to get a PSP! I'm so excited.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.