Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

LCD TV's safe for video games?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
LCD TV's safe for video games?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I just got a 27" LCD TV as an early X-mas present. I was wondering if I were to play any video games on it, if I would experience any burn in problems. I have heard there isn't that problem with LCDs, but in the instruction booklet it mentions it in the troubleshooting area.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
Old 12-22-04, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think you generally have burn-in problems w/ LCDs... it's plasmas that could potentially have burn-in problems.
Old 12-22-04, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ He's right, LCD's don't suffer from burn in's, but plasmas do.
Old 12-23-04, 07:08 AM
Cool New Member

Actually LCD's can have burn-in... just not nearly as easily as CRT projection or plasma. The only display method that is completely immune to burn-in is DLP.
Old 12-23-04, 07:10 AM

LCDs do not suffer burn in.
Old 12-23-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't even have burn-in with my plasma.
Old 12-23-04, 08:25 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a 60" RP-LCD and use it for gaming. Wont ever 'burn in' because it does not use phospors like CRTs and Plasma displays.

Newer plasmas are even getting better with burn in, I almost got one even with the amount of gaming I do.
Old 12-23-04, 12:42 PM
Banned

LCDs can not get burn-in because the projective material is not static. Newer CRT TVs also do not have burn-in because of newer materials. Rear Projection (RP) and Plasma TVs can get burn-in, but only after many-many hours of continual use. We're talking about over a 24 hour straight use with the same image on the screen the entire time. Unless you go on gaming benders for that long (if you do, get a life!) then you have nothing to worry about.

The advantage of Plasma or RP over LCD is ghosting. LCDs can't refresh fast enough for normal videogame usage. So you will see trailing images. This should be solved with a new method of LCD production which increases the refresh rate from 65 Hz to over 200 Hz. That is what I'm waiting for.
Old 12-23-04, 12:52 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually my Sony Grand Wega III handles quick movements in gaming really well. Even on Halo2--no noticable artifacts or ghosting!
Old 12-23-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought my plasma last July and did a lot of research. It's only been 6 months, but I think a lot of things have changed.

At that time, plasma was an obvious choice over LCD because I wanted a 42" display that hangs on the wall. At that point, I don't think you could get a wall mountable 42"+ LCD. I think the refresh rates were a big concern for LCD this past summer too (or maybe that was just everyone's perception, kinda like the plasma burn-in thing).

Now I think there are LCDs that are larger than 30" and still wall mountable and it seems that the manufacturers have gotten past the refresh rate problem.

It's hard to choose on a display technology these days, mainly because there are so many good options. That's a good thing, IMO. Don't get mislead by people who treat their choice of display as a religion. There's none of that here (at least in this thread) but the debate in other forums can be as ugly as Mac vs. PC, Xbox vs. PS2, etc.
Old 12-23-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys! I think the last thing I need to do now is contact the customer service line for the TV, and to double check with them. I'd hate to mess up this TV and it not be covered in the warranty.