DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   World of Warcraft game thread - 'official' dvdtalk server inside. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/397414-world-warcraft-game-thread-official-dvdtalk-server-inside.html)

NaturalMystic79 11-28-04 10:50 AM

I'm on the central PvP server called Thunderlord. Character is Firehawk, a lvl 20 human paladin. Anyone on the server, pst me! I was on Whisperwind server but it got SO crowded that there was incessant lag and crashes.

timewaster 11-28-04 01:12 PM

will u be able to unlearn talents?
I still see the option, but heard it was supposed to be removed when it went from beta to live.
Don't want to setup my talents and find out later on they've decided to remove this feature.

Haven't had time to create a new char on Cenarius. I'm playing a warlock on Skullcrusher. Always looking for someone to group with. My char is "Talonrage" on the alliance.

flashburn 11-28-04 03:36 PM

Originally posted by timewaster
will u be able to unlearn talents?
I still see the option, but heard it was supposed to be removed when it went from beta to live.
Don't want to setup my talents and find out later on they've decided to remove this feature.

You can unlearn them at your class trainer. But, it costs money, and the amount rises the more times you do it. I think it goes 1gp, 5gp, 10gp, 20gp (max).

Copenhagen 11-28-04 07:55 PM

Well I took the plunge and after a few hours or so and I must say it is pretty damn_addicting. I'm on Cenarius as a Night Elf Warrior named Dagolara, if you see me around say hi.

Maxflier 11-28-04 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Copenhagen
Well I took the plunge and after a few hours or so and I must say it is pretty damn_addicting. I'm on Cenarius as a Night Elf Warrior named Dagolara, if you see me around say hi.
Good deal,i'll keep an eye out for you when i play.I randomly ran into JsphOfArimethia's character somewhere earlier today which was cool.

ravan 11-29-04 07:43 AM

If you all remember to do a /join dvdtalk when you enter the game - you can say hi to everyone else.

You'd do that by typing /4 hello

belboz 11-29-04 05:12 PM

Do we have enough people to form a guild? If so, we should go ahead and do that.

Tsar Chasm 11-29-04 09:58 PM

I'm a level 25 Dwarf Paladin named Gingerbread on Elune. Give me a shout-out if you're around.

I'll create on Cenarius for those time(S) that my server is down. Which happens too frequently for my liking. Grr.

JsphOfArimethia 11-30-04 01:30 AM

Originally posted by Maxflier
Good deal,i'll keep an eye out for you when i play.I randomly ran into JsphOfArimethia's character somewhere earlier today which was cool.
Aonarach waves at Maxflier

:lol:

Groucho 11-30-04 07:49 AM

Well, my server went down last night, so I thought I'd come hang on Centarius with y'all. Whoops....that server was down too, so now I have TWO alt characters. :)

BTW, a tip: when your server goes down, and you start up the game, a very odd thing happens. You login with no problems...Authentication...Handshake...Success! But then, the game hangs on the "CONNECTED" message for a few seconds, before giving you a "Disconnected from Server" message and dumping you unceremoniously back to the login screen.

Hunting around the forums, I found the solution to this is to hit CANCEL while the connected message is still displayed. This will give you a realm list so you can find another server that is up.

timewaster 11-30-04 11:11 AM

so how does the PVP portion work?
Im on a PvP server only because my friends wanted to play on a pvp server.
can't find anything in the thick manual about it.
If you get killed in a pvp, do you suffer the same penalites as a death in a PvE?

Groucho 11-30-04 11:18 AM

Here's a good overview of the different server types:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...ealmtypes.html

Basically, you can't PvP against your own faction (except duels), and there are very specific rules of engagement against rival factions.

When you get killed in PvP, yes it is exactly the same as getting killed by a mob.

RalphWiggum 12-01-04 11:11 AM

This is my first MMORPG, and I'm loving it! I played as a NE warrior in open beta, but I'm now a level 12 undead mage. Both have been very fun.

Can we update the list to have a heading for each server with a breakdown of factions and the DVDTalkers playing there?

Also, I'm down with creating another character for a DVDTalk guild. I like the idea of only using these characters once a week and completing quests together. We need a final decision on faction and server, though.

I'll post my server and name tonight (I can't remember the server name).

Groucho 12-01-04 11:17 AM

We should decide on a first "event."

My suggestion: We pick a server, time, and race and we all roll up new characters. That way everybody is in the same place, at the same time, on the same footing. Of course, we'll have to decide what to do as well. For example, a contest to see who can level up the fastest in an hour, or put together a raid group and see how far we can get.

timewaster 12-01-04 11:18 AM

my vote would be for the horde since I already have an alliance character and need a change of pace.

ravan 12-01-04 03:00 PM

I updated the table at the top of this list for everyones convenience. Dont fret about the levels, I'll grab them in game.

If I left you out, please remind me.

Groucho 12-01-04 03:44 PM

OMG YOU LEFT OUT GROUCHO THE GNOME WARRIOR. ARE YOU TRYING TO NERF ME?

Whoops, sorry, I was in my posting mode for the official boards. ;)

ravan 12-01-04 03:52 PM

:) I wasnt sure if you had a char on Cenarius.. Whats your char name/race/class/level?

Groucho 12-01-04 03:58 PM

Name: Groucho
Race: Gnome
Class: Warrior
Level: 1

All I've done is roll him up. I haven't even played him once. Just thought I'd get him out there so he's ready to go for if/when we have an event.

timewaster 12-01-04 04:10 PM

I've been playing a warlock and found him to be very solo-able even in the 20's.
The warlock has many options when escaping from a jam.
Thinking about starting a new mage char.
How is it soloing a mage?

RalphWiggum 12-01-04 04:15 PM

Originally posted by timewaster

Thinking about starting a new mage char.
How is it soloing a mage?

I'm only at level 12 mage, but I've completed most of my quests solo. There was one or two that I felt I needed a group to help me, and then there were others that I just happened to be in a group at the time.

Copenhagen 12-01-04 07:36 PM

My Night Elf is a level <s>11</s> 13.

Setzer 12-01-04 09:25 PM

Just picked up the WoW CE today! Before I open it maybe I should kiss my wife and kids good bye. :lol:

Darkfriend 12-01-04 09:29 PM

Gaaah you guys are tempting me -smile-

Although I don't have as much time as I used to, it would be nice to group or just chat in-game with you guys...

ravan 12-02-04 12:17 AM

Originally posted by RalphWiggum
I'm only at level 12 mage, but I've completed most of my quests solo. There was one or two that I felt I needed a group to help me, and then there were others that I just happened to be in a group at the time.
Whats your char name? I'll add you to the list.. any others?