Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

*** The One & Only GTA : San Andreas Reviews & Impressions Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was trying to give them to my gf and hit her with them instead. I don't think she talked to me for a couple of days.
Same thing happened to me. I waited around her house for a couple days, but she never showed. That fucking ghetto hole!
Old 10-31-04, 10:24 PM

i must have been playing too many PC games recently or something because the framerate and graphics for SA are atrocious. that is my only gripe though, as the gameplay/story is great.
Old 11-01-04, 08:01 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cannot believe how unbelievably enormous this game is...I just unlocked San Fierro(spell correct??) last night. OMG this game is huge....and I still have one more city to unlock I really believe this is the best game ever made.

wlj
Old 11-01-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sureAV421
i must have been playing too many PC games recently or something because the framerate and graphics for SA are atrocious. that is my only gripe though, as the gameplay/story is great.
Considering how huge this game is, it's no surprise for me. I didn't pick it up for the graphics, however.
Old 11-01-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"atrocious" is far too strong a word. It's not the ultimate in graphics but when you consider how much there is, it's fine.
Old 11-01-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fleegs
I was trying to give them to my gf and hit her with them instead. I don't think she talked to me for a couple of days.
I did the same thing. I hit her with them and she took off running down the street. You have to face her and hit L1 to give her the flowers or kiss her.
Old 11-01-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
From gang-wars, to pimpin', to dealin', to racing, customizing, exploring, shopping, eating, dancing, jacking, thieving, working out, stalking, biking, gunning, flying, dating, swimming, fighting and a whole lot more, there's almost more things to do in this game than in real life... and it's so mind-boggeling, that I've had to put it down for a few days to regain some prespective (btw, I'm not even out of Los Santos yet). Insane.
Old 11-01-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I got into the vegas city and hopped on a motorcycle and busted ass to a paint shop - made it this time. However, once I got sprayed my 4 stars just flashed and stayed there. I kinda expected that, but was hoping they would go away. Oh well... managed to cruise around the city for a few more minutes. They can't catch me when I'm on a motorcycle, man. I'm too quick.

In other news... I'm only 2 territories away from having the Groves control 100% of the areas. I hope there isn't more of this crap when I get to the other cities. Probably is though.
Old 11-01-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's the deal with the oysters anyway ? I saw them on the stats screen but have no idea what it means.

Personal favorite moments - finishing taxi missions right off the bat to have lots of cash early on, and the mission with CJ and Big Smoke being chased by Russian mobsters. Awesome shit
Old 11-01-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are 50 oysters hidden in the waters of San Andreas (underwater).

If you want an idea of what to look for, there's one
Spoiler:
in Mad Dogg's pool
Old 11-02-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NC-36
What's the deal with the oysters anyway ? I saw them on the stats screen but have no idea what it means.

Personal favorite moments - finishing taxi missions right off the bat to have lots of cash early on, and the mission with CJ and Big Smoke being chased by Russian mobsters. Awesome shit
I just finished that mission alittle while ago and loved it! That was one of the best missions in any of the GTA games ive ever played!
Old 11-02-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is anyone else finding the "Protect your hood" jobs annoying? I like to mess around a lot, and the last thing I want is to have something I need to do.

Keeping your relationship up with your girlfriend is repetative as well. I may just shoot her when I get the chance.
Old 11-02-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But when you get her meter up to 100% satisfied,
Spoiler:
you get a cool pimp suit from her!
Old 11-03-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And now a review from Christ Centered Game Reviews :
(full thread at http://www.ccgr.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_...nd+Theft+Auto% )

written by BigJesus

There's a reason there's so much negative press surrounding this game. It's unfortunate that this game will sell very well, and so now us Christians must go into damage control and try to sheild ourselves from this digitized form of Satan.

We're off to a good start

Story

The story of this game surrounds CJ, a black gang-banger who has lost sight of God from an early age and his struggles in the gang dominated city of Los Santos. CJ, who had once fled from Los Santos, is forced to return
Spoiler:
after his brother younger brother Brian is killed from a tragic accident(Brian, the brother, accidentally took "a dozen tabs of X" thinking that it was actually "a baggie filled with uncut crack rocks". This accident is made even more sad by the fact that Brian was blind and was also celebrating his 12th birthday).
CJ then finds himself in emotional and financial troubles and has to rejoin his old gang to try to make a living.

Game play

The game play is very similar to Vice City and GTA 3. However there are a few new features. The first is the addition of break-ins. My first break-in took place in an elderly woman's home. I pulled up in my suspicious looking white van, got out and hopped a fence to get into her backyard. From there I was able to easily sneak into her kitchen from an unlocked backdoor. The old lady sat in her living room, which was now in view from the kitchen, watching an old episode of Golden Girls (one of those subtle little jokes Rockstar always hides in their games). I approached her silently with my shotgun drawn until I was within 5 feet of her. She sensed my presence and turned around only to be greeted by the cold stare of my double-barrels. She screamed but my character was quick to tell her to "Shut the f**k up!". I then demanded money, and she gave me 200 dollars. The next event was an unfortunate slip of the controls by myself. I intended on pressing the cycle-weapons button, so I would no longer be so threatening to such an elderly woman, but I accidentally hit the pistol-whip button. So CJ hit the poor woman across the face with the back of his shotgun. Some children ran into the room crying and shouting "Grandma! Grandma!" as their Grandmother lay motionless on the floor.

White van ? Children ? I call bullshit on this review right now

Graphics

One complaint video game reviewers have often been to scared to make about the GTA series is the fact that the graphics are far below par. While this would be a definite disadvantage for most games, it actually works well for GTA: SA. When I accidentally murdered the Grandmother there wasn't any blood shown. This made my conscience feel Zestfully clean. In fact the violence is sometimes so poorly animated that it can make for some comical scenes. My wife, who is a clinician, had a hearty laugh when she saw me use a chainsaw on a fellow gangmember because the cadaver merely shook while on the ground as if the man was have convulsions. She even made a comment about how I probably wished I only shook when I had my power saw accident, and believe me I agree with her! With that being said, it's still important to understand that we are both university educated adults and so we can understand that chainsaws are capable of inflicting serious bodily harm. The average teenager may not know this, and when they see this in a video game many times they may actually begin to have unreal expectations of the power a chainsaw really has.

"Zestfully clean" ? I'm starting to think someone at Rockstar wrote this and submitted it as a joke And I give teenagers enough credit to know that chainsaw = bad. But that's just me

Sound

My biggest complaint about this game, aside from the violent content, is the vulgar language. Swear words are said almost every second word. The characters in game, with the exception of a few like cops, speak to each other with so much jargon that I sometimes believe that Rockstar actually wants it's audience to not understand what's happening in their game. Also I found it extremely surprising that the black characters in this game actually refer to eachother by the N-word. The irony is astounding and so very offensive at the same time.

I guess he's never seen "Boyz in the Hood" or "Friday"

Appropriateness

As you could probably tell by the running theme of this review this game is extremely inappropriate. I didn't even play this game to the worst extent possible and I still found it extremely violent. By that I mean that players are actually capable of murdering those children who cried over the body of their deceased grandmother. The game would actually award "Respect" to the players who successfully kill those children and escape the police. And of course, even more respect is award if you kill those police who chase you
Spoiler:
(double points if you kill them off duty in their suburban homes)
. Every mission in this game is also inappropriate in that they require you to commit a crime. Mainly murder. Sometimes theft, but even that usually ends up in murder
Spoiler:
(GTA: SA players will know I'm refering to the mission where you have to steal a rival gang member's insulin)
. All in all it is extremely important that your children do not get a copy of this game. My son, who is currently studying psychology in university, said that playing GTA: SA is just as bad as watching Schindiler's List from a Nazi's perspective. In fact his last essay "Behaviour and Video Games: Killing For A New High Score" is actually being considered for publication. His other articles "Are Video Games A Loophole For The Murder Commandment?" and "Jesus Never Used Cheat Codes" have both recieved praise from critics. He has shown me studies that show the negative effects of gaming, and games like GTA:SA are the types of games that are most likely to turn your children into Satanists, or other types of misbehavior. Avoid giving this game to children at all costs.

This last paragraph almost convinces me that the review is a Rockstar plant . What do you guys think, Rockstar prank or lying moron ?
Old 11-03-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I'd say it's a BS review. The break in, if you get detected, they don't scream and give you money, they either attack you, or run away and the police are called. There is also no pistol whip button as far as I know.
Old 11-03-04, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by sureAV421
When I first played my copy on a friend's PS2 I was horrified. Blurry textures, jaggy lines, etc. I kept poking around the set up menu looking for a way to turn of the "haze" (like in the previous GTA's.) We actually found it painful to look at.

When I played it on my own set up it looked much better. The only difference between our set ups is that he uses the yellow RCA cable for his video connection while I use an s-video cable. If you are using an RCA cable for your PS2 I highly recommend upgrading.

Mind you this game won't win any awards for graphics. The textures still look blurry and there are jaggies galore. In my opinion this game belongs (and deserves to be) on an upcoming next generation system, not the aging PS2.
Old 11-04-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got my game yesterday finally! It was killing me to hear everyone talking about it. I put it on my HDLoader and the load times are non-existant except for the initial load which still takes a while.

Man the city is freakin huge! I keep getting lost and jst driving around. The swimming is better than I thought it would be. I snuck into Las Venturas just to see the strip with helicopters and police in tow. I like the new cinematic camera angle. I wish I had a widescreen TV with S-video. That's my only gripe, but that's against my TV.

Oh yeah and the language is really harsh in this game. I don't mind it but I'm sure some soccer mom will pick it up and be mortified when little Johnny starts calling her a "hoodrat". Congressional hearing anyone?
Old 11-04-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I would hope that the excessive violence would be more offensive than the language...
Old 11-04-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shaun3000
I would hope that the excessive violence would be more offensive than the language...
I agree but when was the last time you heard someone swear on network TV? Gunning people down is ok but swearing or "having relations" is too risque. The violence in GTA:SA seems the same as it was in VC but the language has been amped up quite a bit, hence my comment.
Old 11-04-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
Is anyone else finding the "Protect your hood" jobs annoying? I like to mess around a lot, and the last thing I want is to have something I need to do.

Keeping your relationship up with your girlfriend is repetative as well. I may just shoot her when I get the chance.

This is MAJOR spoiler

Spoiler:
You lose all of your terrirtory once you leave Los Santos, basically the only good of taking over territory is to raise respect
Old 11-04-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by The Franchise
I agree but when was the last time you heard someone swear on network TV? Gunning people down is ok but swearing or "having relations" is too risque. The violence in GTA:SA seems the same as it was in VC but the language has been amped up quite a bit, hence my comment.
Do you watch NYPD blue? they swear on occasion.
Old 11-29-04, 01:28 AM

I was just browsing IMDB and it said that Donnie Darko is referenced in the game. Did anyone catch this? What part is it? I might just not be up to that part in the game yet.
Old 05-04-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: *** The One & Only GTA : San Andreas Reviews & Impressions Thread ***

I'm just found this in my collection. Forgot I still had it. I think I'm going to pop it in and play again, since I've been going through GTA4 lately.

Anyone played it in a while?
Old 05-04-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Naw but I'm eagerly awaiting a tablet port

Aww technology
Old 05-04-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Talk about a blast from the past. I was only 25 when this came out. EB Games and PS2.

Memories.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.