Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

*** The One & Only GTA : San Andreas Reviews & Impressions Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are driving around, and not decked out in your gang colors (green), are you still shot at constantly?

Also, I keep getting respect, but my bar has hardly moved. I admit I am early in the game, does respect build quickly later or does it just take an enourmous amount of respect to fill the bar?
Old 10-29-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by jon-w9
does respect build quickly later or does it just take an enourmous amount of respect to fill the bar?
I've found that once you start
Spoiler:
the gangland wars, and taking over the turf of rival gangs,
your respect grows exponentially--much more than the "Respect +" that you get from completing the early missions.

As for the bike missions--they seem a lot easier once you've built up your bike skills a little bit. After levelling up a few times, you can stay on the bike much better, instead of falling off whenever you make contact with something. Of course, you've got to ride the bike around all over the place in order to do that, which takes forever, but oh well. The
Spoiler:
OG Loc bike chase
was a breeze after I levelled up my bike skills a few times.

I've also been trying to max out my lung capacity, and man, that's tedious. I really hope it has a payoff later in the game or something. I did find an oyster (one of fifty) somewhere during a dive, so I'm guessing that some of the oysters will be so deep that they'll require the higher lung capacity to obtain. (That's gonna be a lot of fun. . . )
Old 10-29-04, 01:05 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SonicCookie
Make sure you also "reply positively" by pressing the right arrow on the directional pad (>) once the whore starts talking to you.
Ahhh thanks, I'll try that
Old 10-29-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Virex
As for the bike missions--they seem a lot easier once you've built up your bike skills a little bit. After levelling up a few times, you can stay on the bike much better, instead of falling off whenever you make contact with something. Of course, you've got to ride the bike around all over the place in order to do that, which takes forever, but oh well. The
Spoiler:
OG Loc bike chase
was a breeze after I levelled up my bike skills a few times.
Thanks for letting me know. Man, I thought I was getting stupid or something. I couldn't even do the first friggin' mission!

Game seemed way too hard for me. I'll try your advice.
Old 10-29-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Thanks for letting me know. Man, I thought I was getting stupid or something. I couldn't even do the first friggin' mission!

Game seemed way too hard for me. I'll try your advice.
No problem. One thing I forgot about that bike mission, though:

Spoiler:
You don't actually gun him down during the chase--you just have to follow him to a certain point. Then there's a cutscene, and you kill him and a couple of other guys that are standing around. So don't worry about trying to kill him during the chase--just keep up with him and don't let him lose you.
Old 10-29-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the best GTA:SA review I've read on the net

I rented it from gamefly and it should be here on Monday (damn crappy FYE.com). All this game talk is making me worry I wont have any time for real life!
Old 10-29-04, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by The Franchise
This is the best GTA:SA review I've read on the net
From the sound of that review, it seems there are some big surprises I'm in for that I hadn't heard about yet.
Old 10-29-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by SomeVoices
From the sound of that review, it seems there are some big surprises I'm in for that I hadn't heard about yet.
HUGE! Biggest surprise:
Spoiler:
In one mission, you fly back to Liberty City! You can't walk around the city, though, you can only go to one builing and after you beat the mission it's back to San Andreas for you.
Old 10-30-04, 01:32 AM

I love this game,but where is the dts.
Old 10-30-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love this game,but where is the dts.
Like you, I read the back of the box and was a little disapointed that no DTS track was included but.... After playing the game in just regular pro logic on my sound system, sometimes the sounds were so real I thought someone was in my house or outside. The sound is still great. I also seem to recall hearing people complain that the dts track for vice city wasn't that great or didn't take full advantage of dts to begin with.
Old 10-30-04, 03:32 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone else 'snuck' onto one of the unlocked areas? I was *this* close to entering some brothel near Las Venturas after a long ass foot face across the desert. Unfortunately, the automatic 4 stars you get for getting in a forbidden area early meant I didn't stand a chance.
Old 10-30-04, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I jumped over the gate at the airport and flew a plane at the unlocked areas. When you get there a jet comes out of no where shooting missles until the plane is destroyed.
Old 10-30-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
It's in Pro Logic II, which gives 5.1 with a compatible decoder. The DTS in Vice City was only quasi-surround.
Old 10-30-04, 12:56 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by outcastja
I jumped over the gate at the airport and flew a plane at the unlocked areas. When you get there a jet comes out of no where shooting missles until the plane is destroyed.
I didn't even think of that yet. I jumped into the river between the areas, swam for awhile, and found a boat. Then I drove the boat to an area I could dock.
Old 10-30-04, 04:47 PM
Suspended

Do you have to wait a while before you can use the gym.
I've only got through the first spray paint missions and have been doing other things. I was wondering if go there on a mission like the barbershop or the Pizza place.
Old 10-30-04, 05:17 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

no you can use the gym right away.

anyone to the badlands missons yet, they are very boring.

for those that want weapons but dont want to use the codes, tag all 100 spots and you get four weapons back at Cj's house.

currently I have full stamina, muscle, half full respect and sex appeal, I beat every mission in Los Santos, 100 gang tags, all 15 oysters in Los Santos, and all of the available safe houses.

also the tank top wearing drug dealer usually does not show up until the gang war mission after that you will see him every where, and just walking around for 10 mintues(real time) I collecting about 60k in cash from him.

it is sweet after you use certain weapons alot you build up you accuracy, I am now a hitman with the pistol, and can you 2 at one time ( ala Max Payne)

if anyone has questions just ask
Old 10-30-04, 05:21 PM
Suspended

How do you get into the gym?
Is there a specific time that you have to go?
Is there a button that you press while standing next to the door?
I can't figure it out.
Old 10-30-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by DRG
Has anyone else 'snuck' onto one of the unlocked areas? I was *this* close to entering some brothel near Las Venturas after a long ass foot face across the desert. Unfortunately, the automatic 4 stars you get for getting in a forbidden area early meant I didn't stand a chance.
I spent about 2 or 3 hours last night trying to accomplish this. I found a really good route, but wasn't able to get to the paint and spray quick enough. Even if I got there, I don't know if the stars would go away or not. Anyway - going north I found a dock on the vegas city and jumped in and swam to it. There was a bullet proof vest there waiting for me... no stars yet. I go up the stairs and boom - 4 stars again. I run straight for a bit as if I'm going up the stairs, but then book it to the left and head for the house on the corner where I quickly hop a few fences. I look around the next house and there's a car in the driveway - I hop in and try to get to paint and spray which is straight up the double-lane street and turn left right before it splits in two then make a right and it should be on your right. I've gotten there a few times, but never with a car that survived the trip. Trying to outrun helicopters in backwoods country is damn near impossible, you can lose them in a city and have access to wheels.
Old 10-30-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by bigdogkt2003
How do you get into the gym?
Is there a specific time that you have to go?
Is there a button that you press while standing next to the door?
I can't figure it out.
do some missions... you haven't progressed enough in the game yet.
Old 10-30-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When do the other clothing stores become available? I've got the Prolaps, Binco, and Sub-Urban stores open, but Victim, Zip, and Didier Sachs I can't go into.
Old 10-30-04, 08:51 PM

Man this game rocks. Just got it today, sold about 25 dvd's at blockbuster and turns out all of the blockbuster game rush stores are sold out so I had to buy it from toys r us who said they had plenty in stock.
Old 10-30-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The one complaint I have are the goddamn races. They're FUCKING LONG and frustrating as hell and you can't advance without doing them.
Old 10-31-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I found a bouquet of flowers near Mullholand. I wonder what I can do with them? Give them to my girlfriend? Anyone else know? I was going to give it to here, but she wasn't home.
Old 10-31-04, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Michael Ballack
I found a bouquet of flowers near Mullholand. I wonder what I can do with them? Give them to my girlfriend? Anyone else know? I was going to give it to here, but she wasn't home.
I was trying to give them to my gf and hit her with them instead. I don't think she talked to me for a couple of days.
Old 10-31-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally posted by bigdogkt2003
Do you have to wait a while before you can use the gym.
I've only got through the first spray paint missions and have been doing other things. I was wondering if go there on a mission like the barbershop or the Pizza place.
Yes,you have to progress to a certain mission before you can start using the gym.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.