Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-Men Legends Discussion + help thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X-Men Legends Discussion + help thread

Since the other thread seems to be mainly about the deals, with a bit of talk about the actual game, I figured maybe it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread about the actual game. For discussion, help, and what not.

I had every intention of leveling most of the X-men evenly, but I've fallen into the trap of using the same 4 for most all the missions. My main team consists of Wolvie, Cyclops, Storm, and Iceman. I sub Rogue in every now and again. I'm not really that crazy about Storm or Cyclops but I've grown so comfortable with this team that I'm going to stick with them this go round. I'll change the teams I use on my next (of many) play throughs. Does anyone know if all the characters are playable for the next play through after you beat the game?

I've taken a play style of just controlling Wolverine and letting the other three be defensive and stay back out of the fray using mainly range attacks. Storm and Iceman aren't really needed for the hand to hand & instead can just be used to freeze and immobilize enemies from afar. This helps keep their health in check. I use Wolverine and Cyclops for the close attacks, with Wolvering delivering the most damage with the the berserker business and that double claw slash.

The game really is a blast to play and the best superhero game (and license game for that matter) in recent memory. They did a good job capturing the feel and style of the team. I couldn't help thinking they could use this same exact engine for a great Fantastic Four game. Of course you would have the main four, but to bulk up the selectable characters you could include a few honorary members of the FF like She Hulk & Silver Surfer. I'll stop dreaming now.

So far my favorite thing was fighting the Sentinels in the flash back sequence. They weren't really that hard, but were just fun to beat down. There was a lot of "Take that @#$#!" coming from my game room during that level. Plus I did geek out at the classic uniforms a bit. I'm a nerd, yes I know.

Minor Complaints:
+I never was a big fan of the ultimate uniforms so it's been a tiny bummer having to mainly play in them. I now know you can change them with a code and will do so the next go 'round.

+The camera could really use one more lever of pull back. Sometimes I find myself wishing for a birdseye view of things so I can size up the area quickly.

+My biggest complaint is the ally AI in regards to crossing bridges or being close to cliffs. I've lost members of my team to falling off the bridges or over cliffs for no reason other than they can't run straight. That has sucked. Also I would have liked to have a team control to make all the heroes on the team stay put in one space. Sometimes I'm standing still so Wolvie can regenerate his health but Iceman (who's on defensive) will go and open up a door letting the next flood of enemies come through totally screwing up my game plan.

So who's in your team(if you have one like me) or do you use the most? What style of play do you use? Favorite level? What things don't you like about it?
Old 09-30-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm like you. I've become accustomed to almost exclusively controlling Wolverine and pressing the left trigger when I need a combo or help. When I'm on a level where I know I'm going to have to fight a lot of people at once (Morelocks...) I'll add Storm or Jean Gray to the team. Once you get adjusted to Nightcrawler's abilities, he's a very valuable character to have, but only on certain levels. Colosuss and Beast have always been two of my favorite characters in the books, but I don't use that all that much in the game. I almost always have either Ice Man or Cyclops on the team as well.

As far as complaints, I wish you could carry over your team after you beat the game. I know that much of the challenge would be gone, but for me, that adds some more replayability. I agree about the camera. Sometimes you will be behind a wall, fighting an enemy, and trying to manipulate the camera so you can see what is happening. I also experienced a glitch in which Wolverine fell through a solid floor (there were no crevices anywhere in sight, mind you) to his death. That's only happened once though, during a marathon session right after a save point, so I can forgive it.

Those are just minor complaints though. All in all, I love the game. The large array of characters, the 4 Player Danger Room Battle Royales, the customization...Castlevania SOTN is my favorite game of all time. At least once a year, I play through the game again. This has that same feel for me.

Boredsilly said that he would love a Fantastic Four game based on the same engine. I was thinking, and I know that I'm crossing company lines, that a Justice League game with this engine would be great.
Old 09-30-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it, though I wish you didn't have to hunt down specific X-Men at specific points in time to do all of the flashback missions (I only got to do the Sentinel one ). In the beginning, I liked the team of Wolvie, Cyclops, Storm, and Iceman, but Iceman got the boot as soon as Rogue, then Nightcrawler showed up. Halfway through, I switched to Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Psylocke, and Storm (for the Astral Plain levels). In the last few, it was back to Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Jean Grey (she gets REALLY powerful with her "Legend" skills). To beat the final guy, though (I had a whopping two health bottles at that point), I kept getting whacked over and over again until using Wolverine (for direct damage), Iceman (to slow him down), Nightcrawler (for rescuing team members in trouble), and Storm (Ranged Damage).

In all it was a very fun game, though I beat it in just over 13 hours. I'm sure a bit would be added to that had I done all of the flashback missions, which I'm now replaying to get to.
Old 09-30-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
13 hours?
The lack of replayability, even with the same levels just harder, is really making me second guess this game. I don't beat games with 100%, and if I'm going to replay a game, at least give me more/stronger enemies, or let me use additional characters.
When you replay, you literally start over from scratch? That's what I read elsewhere, and that's disappointing.
I bought this game yesterday, and it is on my desk at home unopened; from what I'm hearing, I'm likely to take it back, get my 50 bucks credit back. Doesn't sound like a bad game, but it does sound like one I might regret spending 50 bucks on.
Old 09-30-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just picked this game up today after trading in my old XBOX, my PS2, some PS2 add-ons and a ton of games. Even if it isn't great I'll enjoy it cause buying it with trade in money kina makes me feel like I got a good deal.
Old 09-30-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cartman be sure to check your objectives often so you know if a flashback mission is open for you. They will say seek out beast/wolvie/nightcrawler to play mission - so checking the objectives at least lets you know you should be on the look out (and they don't really hide who you need to find). Also you should have dedicated saves just prior to or at the beginning of the flashback missions for easier replays (since they aren't offerened in the danger room from what I understand).

dtcarson I've read anything from 13 hours to 25 hours so...YMMV. One thing I can say is the game is fun.
Old 09-30-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dtcarson
13 hours?
It is going to take me more than 13 hours. It is a hard one player game. I would rather play with two people.

My main team consists of Wolvie, Cyclops, Storm, and Iceman
That is who I use. Wolverine is my favorite charactor. While my brothers favorite is Iceman. Iceman is a very good character to play with. Using his freeze power really slows down enemies.
Old 09-30-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been playing almost the entire time since I last posted. It's a cool game but I agree that it's very hard for a one player game.

The worst part is when a party member gets low on health. I thought the first level said that they would heal themselves but maybe I was wrong.

My friend, who I convinced me to get this when I was out today, is coming over later and we are going to try out co-op. I hope my wife will want to check it out to so we can have a third but I'm going to get my hopes up.
Old 09-30-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You have to set them to heal themselves at a certain level of health. They default to not.
Old 09-30-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want them to heal often, set it to where they will heal if their health gets lower than 80%. This way you will use more health, but they will not teeter on the edge of death either.
Old 10-01-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the help guys. My buddy, who rented this game earlier this week, didn't even know and he's been playing the heck out of it. This should really help me when I start playing solo again.
Old 10-01-04, 11:31 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
how do you change the healing options ?
Old 10-02-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you choose your team, you can set the options for each character. Just go in like you are going to level them up (on XBox it's the Y Button). For instance, you can set Wolverine to heal only if he is below 40%, but a weaker character like Jubilee can be set to heal at 80%. I just beat the game and now all the uniforms are unlocked.
Old 10-02-04, 05:30 PM

I cant figure out how to weld those things that Collossus is holding up.
I see the X targets right in front of me but cant seem to hit them with Cyclops 's blasts.
Can anyone please help ?
Old 10-02-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jk4w
I cant figure out how to weld those things that Collossus is holding up.
I see the X targets right in front of me but cant seem to hit them with Cyclops 's blasts.
Can anyone please help ?
The only way I was able to was to first use Jean Grey's Telekenesis on them (pushing them into place), then use any of the ranged abilities to weld them. They kinda leave out the "you have to move them into place" part when telling you what to do...
Old 10-02-04, 06:28 PM

i'm on the HAARP security level

smashed 2 of the 5 power things

I am at the blue cross to get accross the ravine. I have tried getting iceman to blast but doesn't work, what do i do ?

can i get Rogue or Storm to fly yet ?
Old 10-02-04, 07:00 PM

i've got past this bit now
Old 10-02-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by Original Desmond
i'm on the HAARP security level

smashed 2 of the 5 power things

I am at the blue cross to get accross the ravine. I have tried getting iceman to blast but doesn't work, what do i do ?

can i get Rogue or Storm to fly yet ?
I had Iceman, make an ice bridge for my team.

I'm currently stuck at pyro.
Old 10-03-04, 05:08 AM

at what point can i get Rogue and Storm to fly ?
Old 10-03-04, 05:10 AM

btw i love this game
Old 10-03-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OD the characters that can fly, do so only when you equip/buy that ability. When you level up it should be about 2 3rds of the way down the list of powers (near mutant mastery stuff). I think they can start to fly around level 5 or so. When you buy/equip flight it works just like a double jump...except they don't come down as quick.

Yeah, I love this game too.
Old 10-03-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by goLUCKY

I'm currently stuck at pyro.
You probably got passed him by now, but he was easy, it literally took me about 15 seconds to beat him. I just slashed the hell out of him w/ wolverine.

I just beat toad on the Haarp level.

I'm diggin' the hell out of this game, I traded in Fable which I was extremely disspointed in for it, & Legends is a thousand times better.
Old 10-03-04, 02:40 PM

is there a way to stop flying besides letting all your energy waste away?
Old 10-03-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Double jump to fly up, and then I think it's X to hover down (well one of the face buttons on whatever controler you happen to be using).
Old 10-04-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm loving this game too. just got it on friday and played all through the weekend. currently on morlocks level and just got gambit into the party.

i've heard the guys on penny-arcade complain that cyclops is weak but i disagree, as he and wolverine have been constantly in my party from the beginning.

the other two i change between storm, iceman, & nightcrawler. i really want beast and gambit to be more involved but i'm stuck on my current crew that it's hard to switch out. there is so much to love about this game including the classic uniforms, the trivia game, and patrick stewart's voice talents.

minor gripes for me is the horrible camera--especially when you're in the city, walking down an alleyway and it becomes a top down view only. and not enough save points in between areas.

also, i have the gamecube version and it took me forever to figure out that to heal my blue bars, i have to push y AND z at the same time which sucks because if i just push z it heals my health and sometimes i don't need to.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.