Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New, Smallerrrrr PSTwo

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New, Smaller PSTwo

Smaller version of PS2 with built-in network adapter at $149 price point?

A redesigned version of Sony's PlayStation 2 console, dubbed PStwo, could launch in the USA next month alongside GTA: San Andreas, according to a report in the US entertainment press citing industry analysts and retailers.

The new version of the console would be around 30 per cent smaller than the current hardware, according to the Hollywood Reporter, which claims that industry insiders expect the device to roll out on October 26th at a $149 price point.

Some retailers and industry executives in the USA have been calling on Sony to drop the price of the PS2 ahead of Christmas, despite a drop earlier this year, in an effort to boost Q4 sales - and while launching a redesigned console at the current price point isn't quite in line with those calls, it would probably have a similar effect on sales.

"Sony has not commented publicly about the device but has already applied for the copyright of PStwo," explained analyst P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research. "A new box and console design will make the system fresh."

If Sony really is going to launch the PStwo this Christmas, it would go some way towards explaining the ongoing low inventory levels of the PlayStation 2 in the USA - which could be down to the company trying to clear out the channel ahead of the new hardware launch.

However, the possibility of the PStwo emerging in October remains firmly in the realms of speculation, and a number of factors would seem to weigh heavily against the rumour - not least the fact that Sony hasn't announced anything in either the USA or Japan as yet, only six weeks before the suggested launch.

While that timescale isn't impossible by any means - the company cut the time between announcement and launch of the PSone quite fine as well, presumably in an effort to sustain sales of the original console for as long as possible - it's worth noting that the PSone didn't arrive until the launch of the PlayStation 2, and was seen as a repositioning of the console away from the new platform's market space.

With PlayStation 3 still over a year away, and PlayStation 2 still selling strongly, it would seem like an unusual move for Sony to roll out the PStwo ahead of that schedule - although the company may do so in an attempt to ensure that PlayStation sales remain firmly ahead of the Xbox in North America.

The timing would also, as McNealy points out, give Sony a "one-two punch" - launching a new console design alongside the biggest title of the year, GTA San Andreas, only weeks before Microsoft rolls Halo 2 out to retail.

Source
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4452
Old 09-17-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds good if true. I still play my PSone. I'm just hoping for a portable screen to go with it.
Old 09-18-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll get one. Unfortunately, I still need my PSone for Final Fantasy Anthology.
Old 09-18-04, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I'll get one. Unfortunately, I still need my PSone for Final Fantasy Anthology.
Why is that, I never had any problems with FFA on my ps2
Old 09-18-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ElementZ
Why is that, I never had any problems with FFA on my ps2
There are about ten games which have problems if you play them on a PS2. Some have problems with corrupt saves, not something you want playing rpgs. This is the reason I bought a PSOne after my original PS broke down.

To get the list of games and the problems they have on the PS2 give Sony a call: 1-800-345-7669.

Found the list of games which have problems:

Arcade Party Pak - Midway
Arcade's Greatest Hits - Atari II
Fighter Maker
FF Anthology
Judge Dredd
Monkey Hero
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Tomba
Int Track and Field

Last edited by Gideon68; 09-18-04 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-18-04, 06:49 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
If my brother hadn't of just given me his PS2, I might have considered this.
Old 09-18-04, 10:35 PM

Let's see if Sony can finally build a reliable unit. Every revision of Sony's PS1 and PS2 has seen it share of hardware problems. If they can pull it off I'll buy one.
Old 09-18-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmm. this fits in with the story I was given. I ordered a PS2 from a "rewards" program through work, and first they sent me an email stating the system was backordered and it would be about 2 weeks before it shipped. I got a letter in the mail about a 4-5 days later stating that SONY was doing a update on the hardware and that version wouldn't be available till the first/second week in October and it would be shipped out as soon as they got it. Maybe they did know what they were talking about after all.

The other problem that bugs me though is I'm getting it becuase I picked up FFXI (w/HD) cheap and was finally getting a PS2 for it. With the "built-in" network adaptor where will the harddrive go? Surely they wouldn't put out a new machine and not support the HD add-on!? I know its not a lot of use here yet but still...
Old 09-19-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't remember the PSone having any hardware problems. Doesn't mean it didn't, but I was never aware of any. Bought mine when they came out and still use it. Combined with the Sony screen its a great little unit.

I doubt they can scale the PS2 down that small, but I'm dying to see what it looks like if the story is true.
Old 09-19-04, 11:48 AM

That would be a great time for me to rebuy a PStwo since I sold the one I purchased at launch few months ago. I'm wondering, if this model will include the progressive scan with the IR remote features. Plus, the PStwo will include a built-in network which is SWEET!!

Edison, you brought up a good point of where the HDD would go w/the built-in network adapter. I'm guess, Sony is placing the adapters adjecant to the expansive bay. We shall see soon..
Old 09-19-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Let's see if Sony can finally build a reliable unit. Every revision of Sony's PS1 and PS2 has seen it share of hardware problems. If they can pull it off I'll buy one.
Why would they come out with a reliable system when people are willing to buy a new system when theirs breaks down?
Old 09-19-04, 12:30 PM
Banned

hmmm i havent been playing my ps2 recently and i have had problems in the past with it so i might pick this up when san andreas comes out then ill be playing alot
Old 09-19-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gideon68
Why would they come out with a reliable system when people are willing to buy a new system when theirs breaks down?
better question is why anyone thinks anything is perfect these days... i haven't bought something that was 100% perfect since... well, forever. even my magazines have typos.
Old 09-19-04, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by young
better question is why anyone thinks anything is perfect these days... i haven't bought something that was 100% perfect since... well, forever. even my magazines have typos.
So you are suggesting that everything should be designed to fail?
Old 09-19-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So you are suggesting that everything should be designed to fail?
no, not at all. i'm saying it is irrational to expect perfection. we don't live in an absolute world.

if you feel that whatever insignificant problems that the playstation has is too much to bear, of course, you don't have to buy it.
Old 09-19-04, 05:54 PM

I really like the idea of the built in network adapter. They should have had this from the start.
Old 09-19-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My PS2 is 4 years old in November and has been used heavily. My PS1 was old when I sold it to make room for the PS2...never had any problem with bad units so far.
Old 09-21-04, 10:41 AM

New pics of the PSTwo at http://engadget.com/entry/8413288107686276/

Box, system, and controller:

PSTwo next to a PS2 (size comparison):
Old 09-21-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If there's one thing Sony knows, it's how to make stuff sexy!

EDIT: Pics from a German site. It is top loading after all.

Last edited by The Franchise; 09-21-04 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-21-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

whoa! that's a huge difference!

nice.
Old 09-21-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, thats pretty dinky. I want
Old 09-21-04, 11:14 AM

What happen to the HDD support? Looks lke Sony is conteracting to the HD Loader with this new PStwo design.
Old 09-21-04, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Bruce_S
What happen to the HDD support? Looks lke Sony is conteracting to the HD Loader with this new PStwo design.
From IGN:
"What's particularly interesting about the new SCPH-70000, however, is that it cannot use the Hard Drive (HDD) needed for games such as Final Fantasy XI, and well, Final Fantasy Xi's expansion packs. It has also been confirmed that some software will not be compatible with the new unit, but what those titles are have not been revealed."
Old 09-21-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the pictures, it appears the power supply will be outside the unit. A change I welcome with open hands!
Old 09-21-04, 12:58 PM
Banned

Boy that damn thing looks ugly as all shit. I wonder how it will handle heat. Hold on a min how do you use the hard drive with this thing? Wait reading the link it does not support it. Guess Sony did not find it very important. Sony should have just made a new PSX2 that came with the HDD.

The size is not a selling point to me I mean once it's in your HT who cares how big the thing is not like you going to carry it around. Also the fact it's small is not sexy to me it's like saying I have a small penis and women find it sexy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.