Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Play GUILD WARS for Free May 12-14

Old 05-03-04, 12:20 PM

Play GUILD WARS for Free May 12-14

Not going to E3, but still want to participate? Arena.net is giving you the chance with their "E3 For Everyone" open alpha test of the upcoming MMORPG Guild Wars.

Get a jumpstart by downloading the client here:

http://www.guildwars.com/e3-2004/e3-...-download.html

You can also get it off the CD in the June issue of PC Gamer.

Guild Wars looks to be very promising, and I can't wait to try it out. It fixes a lot of problems I have with games in this genre, including removing the monthly fee.
Old 05-03-04, 03:41 PM

Thanx for the heads up!

Chris
Old 05-03-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's free? No monthly fee? Sounds cool
Old 05-03-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nickdawgy
It's free? No monthly fee? Sounds cool
It is only free during their alpha/beta period. You will still have to pay a fee up front (like any other game), just no monthly fee.

I am wondering how much content there is in this alpha, as the total install is only about 45mb.
Old 05-03-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well yeah, I knew it cost like $50 to buy, but that fee would be worth it with no monthly fee.
Old 05-03-04, 07:57 PM

That's why this game would be perfect for me. I'll take months off from a game, and then want to play it again. No point in paying a fee just to keep my account warm in case my interest is rekindled.

The nifty thing about this game is that when you are assigned a quest, a copy of that part of the game world is made just for you and your party. So, when you go on the quest you don't have to contend with campers and other griefers...you have the whole quest to yourself...and anybody else who wants to do the quest at the same time still can without problems.
Old 05-03-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
The nifty thing about this game is that when you are assigned a quest, a copy of that part of the game world is made just for you and your party. So, when you go on the quest you don't have to contend with campers and other griefers...you have the whole quest to yourself...and anybody else who wants to do the quest at the same time still can without problems.
Most MMO's have been doing that since Anarchy Online. AO, and City of Heroes both will create special 'dungeons' for you or your party only. I am sure there are a couple other games that do this probably.
Old 05-03-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Penny Arcade mentioned that they had heard there would be no upfront or monthly fee and that they would make money on the game by charging for expansions and such. Sounds kind of interesting...
Old 05-03-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's why this game would be perfect for me. I'll take months off from a game, and then want to play it again. No point in paying a fee just to keep my account warm in case my interest is rekindled.
The monthly fee thing is the dealbreaker for me. As much as i want to play City of Heroes i just can't justify a monthly fee. Of course maybe it's because i miss the days of the free text MUDs that i spent enormous amounts of time one in college.
Old 05-03-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most MMORPG's store your character so you can quit and rejoin later with your character just like you left him. I know DAOC does this, but I am almost positive others do it too.

For everyone against a monthly fee for cost reasons, I say try a MMORPG during the free month, you will probably find it actually saves you money on gaming and other hobbies. The real cost is time for these games.
Old 05-03-04, 10:33 PM

That all may be true, but why pay a monthly fee at all when there is a free alternative?
Old 05-03-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That all may be true, but why pay a monthly fee at all when there is a free alternative?
I agree, if the alternative is better than the others. Have to see how this game turns out, I am all for no monthly fee, as long as the game (content/updates) doesn't suffer because of it. If they succeed...great!
Old 05-10-04, 10:08 AM

IGN has put up a nice little Hands-On Preview of the game. Should give you a good idea of what to expect.

I really love the idea that you can just jump in, play a mission, and jump out. I don't want a timesink, I want to actually play a game in the limited free time I have.

For those of you playing this week, I recommend opening up your client and allowing it to stream in all the latest content (there's an indicator in the upper right of the login window). That way you're good to go once this thing starts and the server is hammered.
Old 05-10-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's LIVE NOW... go.... go and play.. downloading the update now
Old 05-11-04, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty fun game so far, especially for it being an Alpha. Only thing I find kind of funny, is it is called "Guild Wars" and guilds aren't implemented yet. I know its very early, but still..
Old 05-11-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by glassdragon
It's LIVE NOW... go.... go and play.. downloading the update now
thought it wasn't live til May 12th?

EDIT: Nevermind:

Due to overwhelming response to our E3 for Everyone event, we are proud to announce that you may begin your Guild Wars experience now. Come, join us in Guild Wars now!
Old 05-11-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just started my character this morning. Can't wait to actually make it into a town so i can see other people.
Old 05-11-04, 10:16 AM

Wow, that's all I can say.

I found out last night, quite by accident, that they opened this up early...so I rolled up a character and set out. Time was short, so I did a whirlwind "Stations of the Cross" tour of the different areas (including the non-populated mountain and jungle areas):

Solo Starting Area -- I stayed here just long enough to get my bearings and learn the interface. I liked what I saw. Even though this is a multiplayer game, I'm glad they recognized that sometimes people just want to do their own thing. I do hope that they incorporate the ability to explore these "in-between" areas with a group, however.

Cooperative Missions -- A lot of fun. Inviting/joining a group is a bit confusing...but not impossible. My group quickly found that working together and cooperation was key, and had a good time playing through the first mission (and part of the second).

Town -- Time to unload my phat loot! Didn't feel much like a town, more like a huge bazaar. There were a lot of people around who were dispensing help and advice. Managed to get a new skill and dye my clothes in here.

PvP -- Clearly, the bread and butter of the game. I tried all three. The basic arena was a nice introduction, and the siege scenario was fun too. But the best fun can be had in Tombs, where you find ever-increasing challenges put in front of your party, some PvP, some PvE.

If enough DVDTalkers are playing this we should try to get together in-game. Keep an eye out for me: not surprisingly I'm known as Groucho Marx.
Old 05-11-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Groucho, i added you to my friend list so i can see when you are in the game.

I have 2 characters if anyone wants to add me: Skadi Fenris and Frey Volunderhaus

Frey was my first and fav character because i like playing clerics - but i sucked at casting the spells in time so i switched to Skadi the fighter
Old 05-11-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like it so far. First time I ever dug a MMORPG and it aint even finished.

My character is Ekthol Of Madragast in case anyone cares.

BTW, anyway to "pause" this? Cos I have to go and want to play later but it takes forever to load on my comp (crappy dialup). A friend showed me an MMORPG that you could basically do that to your character. ANy such option here?
Old 05-11-04, 06:01 PM

Just close out and leave. Your character and belongings will be saved, and you can pick up anywhere in the world you'd like.
Old 05-11-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, Groucho. I really like this game. When does it street officially?

BTW, mind if add you to my friends list? Same question goes to you xmiyux. Either can feel free to add me.
Old 05-11-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm playing under the name of Karn Black, but I don't know if I'll have enough time to play. Too many things going on this week.
Old 05-11-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RocShemp
Thanks, Groucho. I really like this game. When does it street officially?

BTW, mind if add you to my friends list? Same question goes to you xmiyux. Either can feel free to add me.
According to the developer or official alpha tester i chatted with earlier today they are shooting for Q4 2004. Also, anyone who wants can add either of my characters to their list. Not sure how much more after today i'll be able to play but add me anyways

Should be getting on xbox live soon Finally got my router working with my computer so i'm hoping it goes easily hooking the xbox to it.
Old 05-11-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, xmiyux. I can't wait. I added both your characters. If you like, feel free to add mine. I'm currently going solo but, who knows? I'll eventually get to a town, right?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.