Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: What system should I purchase?
PS2
32.84%
X-Box
53.73%
Other (suggestions?)
13.43%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Buying a system :Help an old timer out

Old 04-19-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buying a system :Help an old timer out

What's the popular opinion on gaming platforms? I'm stuck right now between buying a PS2 or an X-box. I've owned just about every system up until Playstation came out. I loved the PS system and games but have been out of the loop for the past few years and could use some advice on which system is the most preferred.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-19-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've said it before, etc.

If you're only going to buy one system, get a PS2. The vast number of good cheap games available for it make it THE system to have.

If you can afford both, get both. XBox games look better than their PS2 counterparts, the hard drive eliminates the need for memory cards and the S controller gets the nod over the much-loved Dual Shock. Having both also means you get all the exclusive titles for both and a choice of versions for multi-platform titles.

The fact that you can now get both a PS2 & XBox together for less than $350 should seal the deal. Get both and enjoy.
Old 04-19-04, 06:18 PM
Banned

Get which ever system has the most games you want to play. Graphics are starting to become a non-issue (the new Pitfall game was reviewed by some to have better graphics on the PS2 than Xbox) and the differences are only going to get smaller. Make up a list of all the exclusive games you want. If the list favors that system, get that system. If it is a tie, you probably need both.
Old 04-19-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I recommend an Xbox because most games are non-exclusive anyway, and Xbox *usually* has the best ports (unless it is EA, then you know they are crappy ports b/c they only care about the PS2 market).

But if you want to play Japanese RPGs, PS2 is really the only way to go.
Old 04-19-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My first system was an easy choice, PS2. But like NC-36 said, that was only because there were so many titles to choose from. However, if I had to make the choice again, I'd buy an Xbox because it's cheaper, has better graphics, built in hdd, etc, etc.

Also, there are alot more cheap games now then there were a year ago.

Xbox > Gamecube > PS2 are my feelings on the systems. They're all fun to play.
Old 04-19-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buy an Xbox because it's so big crooks will mistake it for a Rottweiler.

P.S. I love my Xbox.
Old 04-19-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PS2 definitely. I have all 3 major systems (and all the old ones) and the PS2 is my favorite. The Gamecube collects dust, I never use it. I just finally picked up an Xbox and I like it but any game that is on all the systems I would buy on the PS2. The controller is by far the best one too IMO.

Of course YMMV so choose the system that has the most titles that you are interested in and go from there. Like others have said graphics are becoming a non issue for the most part.
Old 04-19-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the responses. I've heard rumors about Resident Evil being produced for the X-Box. That was one of my favorite games snd I really got into Odd-World which is an X-Box exclusive but I heard it wasn't "all that". I really like racing games too. I really don't know about getting two systems right off the bat it's something I'm considering. I'm gonna browse the games and see who has what. Thanks again for the suggestions, it's appreciated.
Old 04-19-04, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Samuel
Thanks for the responses. I've heard rumors about Resident Evil being produced for the X-Box. That was one of my favorite games snd I really got into Odd-World which is an X-Box exclusive but I heard it wasn't "all that". I really like racing games too. I really don't know about getting two systems right off the bat it's something I'm considering. I'm gonna browse the games and see who has what. Thanks again for the suggestions, it's appreciated.
Resident Evil is a Nintendo series. It won't be leaving that console in the form you are used to. PS2 is getting an online Resident Evil game. Oddworld is an Xbox exclusive. The best racing sim is GT4, a PS2 exclusive. Sounds like you need all 3
Old 04-19-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you like racing games, I highly recommend the Xbox.

Okay, on the PS2, you have Gran Turismo series, which is hailed by most people as the best racing game. But after that game, the quality really drops off in terms of variety and fun. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the GT series because the AI is positively brain dead and it is basically you against the course. You do get alot of cars to collect.

On the xbox, there are alot of awesome racing games and many of them are Live enabled.

I just picked up Toca 2, it is incredible. 12 player live playing against each other is incredibly fun (with realistic damage so you can't just play bumper car). Project Gotham Racing 2 is another incredible game, both on and offline. Midtown Madness 3 is great on live (kinda boring offline tho). And don't forget Colin McRae 04, it is the best rally game IMO, and I am curious to see how Rally Sport measures up. Basically, Xbox has alot of great racing games and many you can play online. I know GT4 is supposedly online too, but like I said, if it is my choice, I would pick Xbox over PS2 for racing games alone.

But again, if you like RPGs and some cool quirky games, the PS2 will give you better mileage (no pun intended).
Old 04-19-04, 11:21 PM
Banned

Forgot to mention that the Dual Shock is superiour to any other controller for Racing games. That is undisputed.
Old 04-19-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
Forgot to mention that the Dual Shock is superiour to any other controller for Racing games. That is undisputed.
I dispute it

The XBox's S controller has twin analog sticks like the Dual Shock, but the control felt tighter on PGR and GTA3/GTA:VC than on the PS2's GT3 or the GTA combo pack, and the twin triggers underneath the S are much better suited for use as a gas/brake combo than the Dual Shock's buttons.
Old 04-19-04, 11:35 PM

Do you have surround sound and an HDTV? If so buy an XBOX. 480p minimum and true 5.1

Very few PS2 games are progressive scan and look like crap on HDTV's. PS2 has the biggest library though and tons of budget software. Also your PS1 games are compatible as are many of the accessories.
Old 04-19-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Upgrade your PC. Then you can have a nice computer, and play games
Old 04-19-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dispute this as well.

The S controller is the best analog controller and the vibration effects are definitely more solid than the Dual Shocks. In fact, I like everything about the S controller over the Dual Shocks except for the idiotic placements of the black/white buttons.
Old 04-20-04, 12:39 AM

Get which ever system has the most games you want to play. Graphics are starting to become a non-issue (the new Pitfall game was reviewed by some to have better graphics on the PS2 than Xbox) and the differences are only going to get smaller. Make up a list of all the exclusive games you want. If the list favors that system, get that system. If it is a tie, you probably need both.
Not to sound hostile but the gap is getting larger.

Ninja Gaiden.
Old 04-20-04, 08:31 AM
Cool New Member

Look, if the graphics are better on one game for ps2 (and I seriously doubt that they are), it is because the developer was brain dead. No way can ps2 compete with x-box when it comes to graphical capabilities. If you want mature games, again you go with the x-box. Halo is absolutely astonishing. The list of exclusive games for x-box has grown significantly and the multi-platform games look much better on x-box (99% of the time). The large number of games available for ps2 is again a non issue due to the fact that there are so many crap games in the inventory. As has been mentioned, find someone who will let you play their system (x-box and ps2) and play them yourself. The choice will be clear. X-box is made by Microsoft who has been making pc games for years and this has translated into a positive thing for x-box. btw, your question would have been a better one if you had put x-box against gamecube, which is also a fine machine. Ps2 may have been the machine when it came out, but we live today and it is no match for x-box. Especially since the x-box has a hard drive and is less money. Actually a real no brainer...
Old 04-20-04, 08:42 AM

Hmmm.... tough call.

Have you tried flipping a coin?

(Seriously, they're that close when you weigh all the different pros and cons)
Old 04-20-04, 12:47 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It all comes down to how good the games are. I personally prefer the games available for the PS2.
Old 04-20-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure what rumors you have heard, but why leave out the gamecube if Resident Evil is one of your favorite games. Resident Evil 4 will be a cube exclusive. For racing games though you are better off with a PS2 or XBOX.
Old 04-20-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For me, the order is Playstation 2 > GameCube > Xbox.

The PS2 wins out due to the sheer variety of games, which ensures a selection of niche, or sleeper, titles (like ICO and Mark of Kri). I'm also partial to 3D platformers, so I like being able to play Ape Escape 2, Sly Cooper, and Klonoa 2 (many platformer fans also like Ratchet & Clank, another platformer exclusive to the PS2, though I find it mediocre).

The GameCube comes in a close second due to the strength of its first-party software. It's probably worth getting just to play Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Metroid Prime is good too, although some aspects of the design are frustrating.

The Xbox doesn't appeal to me at all. It's probably a good system for those who like to play online. It may also be good for sports and racing, but those are two genres I know nothing about. Honestly I wouldn't play it much even if I got one for free. The only games that interest me are Halo and Ninja Gaiden (and Thief 3, eventually). I think Microsoft did a good job of designing the system, but the software leaves a lot to be desired. If they address this problem with the Xbox 2, I'll buy one.
Old 04-20-04, 09:10 PM

I want to play Ratchet and Clank on my Xbox.
Old 04-20-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cant go wrong with ether imo,PS2 has a ton of games and there are 100s of titles under 30 bucks and alot at the Greatest Hits price for 20 bucks,if your a stickler for FXs and want a bunch of games you cant get anywhere else buy a Xbox,if you have the dough buy both.

With in the next few month PS2/Xbox got alot of nice exclusive games coming out makeing your choice even harder.

PS2
GTA:SA
MGS3:SE
KillZone
FF12
Syphon Filter:OS
Jak 3
R&C 3
GT4
StarOcean 3

Xbox
Halo 2
Ninja Gaiden
Fable
Doom 3
Half-Life 3
Splinter Cell:PT
Knights of the Republic 2(Star Wars)
Old 04-20-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just look at the gaming line up and decide what's most important to you. Personally the PS2 is my last choice, I hate the controller and most everything I want on the system I can find on the XBOX. XBOX is my fave, having some great exclusives and usually the best versions of the multi-platforms.

Now, Gamecube would've been my second choice, but I ended up buying that just cause it was so cheap. Now, for long term lots of game choices, this is the worst chioce. But if you like the 1st party stuff, or are a Resident Evil fan, get this. It's cheap and you can get all the new Resident Evils, reason enough that I bought it since I got the system and two res evil games for less than the cost of a PS2 or XBOX system alone.
Old 04-21-04, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The PS2 as mentioned has the largest library and as a result the best chance for you to discover new games because of this variety.

Each system has good games. I would buy the PS2 for a one system household.

Look at the games you like and see what games are out now and being released in the future then buy the system that fits best for you.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.