Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Looking to expand my PSOne collection.

Old 04-15-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looking to expand my PSOne collection.

Finding myself with not much money to spend on the newest games I usually spend a fair amount of time picking up older, cheaper games that I may have missed out on. I totally missed the Playstation generation as I was mostly into the N64 and PC gaming during that time (the idea of using CD's for a console turned me off for the longest time, I love my cartridges damnit).

Anyhows, I'm looking to pick up some PSOne games that defined the platform. I already have the Final Fantasy series, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, and Metal Gear Solid. I still need to pick up Dragon Warrior VII.

So what were the defining games for the PSOne? To get you started, these two are on my short list so far...

Dragon Warrior VII
Silent Hill
Old 04-15-04, 07:46 PM

The 3 Crash Bandicoots were good.

Strikers 1945
Wild Arms
The 2 Oddworld games
Mega Man 8, X4, X5
Old 04-15-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems like you like RPGs... Vagrant Story is a pretty good one from Square. Also, I've always loved both early Gran Turismos, even though 3 is out and 4 is coming. Syphon Filter was a good game for it's time, as was Fear Effect and similar games.

Mostly though, I keep my PS1 games around more for the nostalgia factor. Dreamcast games, on the other hand...
Old 04-15-04, 10:13 PM
Banned

If you like Zelda games, definitely try Alundra for the PS1. Alundra is like an old school 2D Zelda game.
Old 04-15-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lunar I and II weren't defining but were really fun rpgs.
Old 04-15-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of PS1 games I really wanted is GONE or Very hard to find. Right now I tried build up my PS2 games collection as much as possible (Only AA titles not Junk game).

Hmmm... So far I think have 90-95 PS2 games & the price is very cheap if you know "Cheapassgamer" you never spend too much money on games !!!

Example: Mafia (PS2) for $9.99 at FYE.com
Old 04-15-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Example: Mafia (PS2) for $9.99 at FYE.com
I think you mean $8.99.
Old 04-15-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

illennium

$8.99 when you use 10% off coupon
Old 04-15-04, 11:49 PM

Fighting : Street Fighter Alpha 3 raised the bar on the psone

3d Space Shooters : Colony Wars was a genre defining game for sure, lots of missions, a serious branching storyline and some very good graphics for the time.

Not sure what genre this falls into but Parappa the Rapper was also a good game, enough to get a sequel of sorts with Umm Jammer Lammy and then an official sequel on the ps2. You play a rapping dog , gameplay is pushing buttons at the right time, short but oh so sweet.
Old 04-15-04, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! I went ahead and got MAFIA. Reviews weren't great, but for 9 bucks i can't really pass it up.
Old 04-16-04, 11:37 AM

If your into the FF series, Pick up "The Legend of Dragoon". This is my favorite RPG on the PS1. It is a Greatest Hits Title so you probably can still find it. Absolutely a great game. It's long as well. It spans 4 discs.
Old 04-16-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you enjoyed Chrono Cross or Xenogears I'd advise staying away from Dragon Warrior VII.. to me they are total polar opposites on the RPG spectrum (DW being in the good side, at least for me, gameplay wise).
Old 04-16-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by illennium
I think you mean $8.99.
It's a moot point anyway...

Dear FYE Customer,

Thank you for visiting our site and for your recent order of “Mafia” for Playstation 2. We are writing to inform you that due to an error in our system, this item was incorrectly priced at $9.99 instead of the correct price of $49.99. We have already corrected the price on our web site.

We are unable to honor the incorrect price of $9.99 and will be canceling your order for this item. You can expect to receive an email confirmation of the cancellation within the next 24 hours. You may re-order this item at the correct price of $49.99.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that resulted from this situation. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to reply to this email.

Sincerely,

FYE Customer Care
For Your Entertainment®
www.fye.com
See ya'll next time when we spin the wheel at cheapassgamer!
Old 04-16-04, 11:54 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tekken 3 is pretty good.
Old 04-16-04, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
If you enjoyed Chrono Cross or Xenogears I'd advise staying away from Dragon Warrior VII.. to me they are total polar opposites on the RPG spectrum (DW being in the good side, at least for me, gameplay wise).
As usual, you're being completely irrational. Can someone who likes slapstick not like satire? If games A and B were similar, and he didn't like A, then advising him to stay away from B would be logical. As is, isn't this just another opportunity for you to profess your undying hatred for recent story-based Square RPGs?
Old 04-16-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd suggest Suikoden I and II, if you can find 'em (they sell for roughly $35 and $90 respectively on eBay).
Old 04-16-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by illennium
As usual, you're being completely irrational. Can someone who likes slapstick not like satire? If games A and B were similar, and he didn't like A, then advising him to stay away from B would be logical. As is, isn't this just another opportunity for you to profess your undying hatred for recent story-based Square RPGs?
No, it was simply a suggestion, which is not irrational at all. I have yet to meet very many people that like reading-only RPGs that would enjoy a game that has as much leveling and battling as DWVII does. I never said he couldn't or wouldn't like it, it was simply a warning as to type of game he was looking to get, based on others he said he bought. Nowhere did I mention any hatred for Square based games, I simply stated that Xenogears, which is all text, and Dragon Warrior, which is all fighting monsters, are opposite games.
Old 04-16-04, 12:36 PM

Raiden Project (if you could find this shmup)
Resident Evil trilogy (I thought 2 was the best)
Bust a Groove 1 and/or 2 (kinda like Parappa but easier to play)
Fear Effect 1 and/or 2
Brave Fencer Mushahi (kinda of like Zelda)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (check Costco or Sam's club for this)
Metal Gear Solid
Parasite Eve 1 and/or 2
Point Blank trilogy (fun and addictive light gun game)
Bust a Move (if you like puzzle games)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (my favorite out of the alpha series)

Rpgs

Star Ocean
Tales of Destiny
Vandal Hearts 1 and/or 2
Valykrie Profile
and the ones mentioned before me

Most of the ones mentioned could be found at a relatively cheap price. Use gamestop.com to take advantage of their inventory search if you are really looking for a particular game.
Old 04-16-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Randy Miller III
I'd suggest Suikoden I and II, if you can find 'em (they sell for roughly $35 and $90 respectively on eBay).
By far my favorite game series EVER made. These games will be worth every penny you spend on them, even at the prices above. I actually just started one again. I want to play through 1-3 one more time before four is released this fall.
Old 04-16-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have Suikoden II & it Very Perfection Codition (I never finished half the game)
Old 04-16-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Raiden Trad is a great find if you find it. Xevious 3D is another hard to find but cheap title.. Xevious is pretty "old school" (even for a shooter) but if you enjoyed the original, the 3D update will amuse you. It also has original Xevious and Xevious Arragement (which has a most excellent soundtrack).
Old 04-16-04, 02:55 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics
Castlevania: SOTN
Hot Shots Golf 1 & 2
Old 04-16-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that I tend to favor the Square RPG's and that sort, usually.

Originally posted by PixyJunket
If you enjoyed Chrono Cross or Xenogears I'd advise staying away from Dragon Warrior VII..
That's the thing. I've only made it about 15 minutes or so into Xenogears, the combat and first "jumping/exploring" section turned me off on it for a while. I'll try to go back to it someday since I hear a lot of positive comments about it. For some reason I haven't been able to get into Chrono Cross for more than 15 minutes or so either. I do look forward to giving DW VII a try, I really like the graphical look of the game. On the downside, it sounds like they haven't upgraded the interface much since the NES days.

Good suggestions for the shooters, I'll check some of those out.

I certainly have quite the list at this point.
Old 04-16-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely go with:

Resident Evil 1 and 2
Syphon Filter 1 and 2
Silent Hill

IMO those were some of the best games for the PSOne.
Old 04-16-04, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Master Killer
Vandal Hearts 1 and/or 2
You're kidding, right? The difference between these two games is night and day. The first game is beautiful in its simplicity and remains my favorite strategy RPG. The second game is horrendous, ruined by unskippable dialogue weaving an incomprehensible web of political intrigue involving characters that are impossible to care about, as well as a gameplay-killing simulatenous attack mechanic. Avoid Vandal Hearts 2 at all costs, and go straight for the original.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.