Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mame Machine Questions

Old 04-14-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mame Machine Questions

There is an arcade game auction this weekend and I'm tempted to go. I have been wanting a dedicated MK2 machine for a long time, and already have an old "Demolition Derby" machine.

I have considered building a MAME machine, but I am concerned that it won't be *quite* as good as the "real deal"

For those of you who have built one, is it spot-on control wise? Do you have any regrets? Any advice?

Should I consider getting a Jamma cab and running MAME on that? Anybody here ever done that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My controls seem to be pretty "spot-on". I'm using an Ultimarc I-PAC (www.ultimarc.com) and an Opti-PAC in my cabinet and the work great.

Is your Demolition Derby a two player or a four player? I used to play on a four player every year at the local county fair as a kid. I loved that game.
Old 04-29-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Goblincat
My controls seem to be pretty "spot-on". I'm using an Ultimarc I-PAC (www.ultimarc.com) and an Opti-PAC in my cabinet and the work great.
I'm using the same, and I think the controls are just fine.

I have trouble pulling off fatalities in MKII, but I'm sure that's just me.
Old 04-30-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Mame Machine Questions

the one thing to keep in mind with MAME is if you ever want to play something over than MK2 or DD, it is as simply as loading a new game... no boards to replace and no new cabinets to wheel in

Originally posted by DamingR
There is an arcade game auction this weekend and I'm tempted to go. I have been wanting a dedicated MK2 machine for a long time, and already have an old "Demolition Derby" machine.

I have considered building a MAME machine, but I am concerned that it won't be *quite* as good as the "real deal"

For those of you who have built one, is it spot-on control wise? Do you have any regrets? Any advice?

Should I consider getting a Jamma cab and running MAME on that? Anybody here ever done that?

Thanks in advance.