Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Silicon Knights, Nintendo part ways

Old 04-13-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Silicon Knights, Nintendo part ways

http://cube.ign.com/articles/506/506189p1.html

Obviously Nintendo will still survive. There will be some unhappy people though...

I never really bought into the fascination with Eternal Darkness, but it was still better than the garbage that a lot of companies put out.
Old 04-13-04, 02:47 PM

I really liked Eternal Darkness and will continue to buy Silicon Knights games regardless of platform.
Old 04-13-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmm, guess if Too Human is ever released it won't be a Nintendo exclusive. I like Silicon Knights, maybe this will prompt ED2 since it will sell better on all consoles.
Old 04-13-04, 04:52 PM

Eternal Darkness is one of my favorite games. ED2 on any platform would be great!
Old 04-13-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What did they make, other than ED (which I didn't care for at all)?
Old 04-13-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They did Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.
Old 04-13-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Silicon Knights, Nintendo part ways

Originally posted by Jeremy517
There will be some unhappy people though...
Like me...
Old 04-13-04, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by njchris
Eternal Darkness is one of my favorite games. ED2 on any platform would be great!
If ED2 does get made as a result of this news, then maybe some good will come to Nintendo from it...
Old 04-14-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Correct me if Im wrong but is Silicon Knights also developing "Geist"? Its an FPS on Gamecube involving ghosts.
Old 04-14-04, 01:39 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by zero
Correct me if Im wrong but is Silicon Knights also developing "Geist"? Its an FPS on Gamecube involving ghosts.
Silicon Knights has no involvement with "Geist". n-Space, an Orlando-based developer, is making "Geist"
Old 04-14-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You might be thinking of Too Human, which has been in development for a loooooooong time. Who knows which, if any, console it will show up on now.
Old 04-14-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, no more Gamecube games from Factor 5

Rebel X perhaps?
Old 04-14-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rebel X perhaps?
Hmmm... so no more exclusive content from:

Silicon Knights
Factor 5 Star Wars Titles

...and is RE4 the last exclusive Resident Evil title for GameCube?
Old 04-15-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rebel X perhaps?
ahhhh bloody hell, what next?
Old 04-15-04, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rebel X perhaps?
Hmmm miscommunication?

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/vi...php?1082007052
Update: Factor 5 Options Out On GameCube
UPDATE: Julian Eggebrecht, while speaking with GameSpot, clarified earlier reports regarding Factor 5's status with Nintendo.

According to Eggebrecht, Factor 5 is dropping support for all current systems in order to focus on the next-generation of consoles.

He also spoke of Factor 5‘s long relationship with Nintendo, saying that they have “never been a Nintendo shop”. However, he did say that Factor 5 is “extremely excited about both DS and GCNext”, clarifying that they are not dropping Nintendo platforms altogether.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

According to IGNcube, Factor 5, developer of the popular Star Wars: Rouge Squadron series, will not create any more games for Nintendo's GameCube.

Factor 5’s president, Julian Eggebrecht, stated that the development house is currently making software for competing platforms. He also told IGNcube that no Factor 5 games would be shown at this year’s E3 in May. (zp)
Old 04-15-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see how that is miscommunication, since I said "no more Gamecube games from Factor 5". I immediately read it as they would still make games for Nintendo consoles, just no more for the current one.
Old 04-15-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't care if no one else makes any games for nintendo! as long as i can get nintendo made nintendo gc exclusives, b/c only nintendo makes "REAL" games, i will love my nintendo forever. YAY!
Old 04-15-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What young said.
Old 04-15-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by young
i don't care if no one else makes any games for nintendo! as long as i can get nintendo made nintendo gc exclusives, b/c only nintendo makes "REAL" games, i will love my nintendo forever. YAY!
Originally posted by PixyJunket
What young said.
<3 <3 <3 shine! shining love!

... gag me with a spoon...
Old 04-15-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cheapskate
... gag me with a spoon...
Gag me with generic FPS and sports games.
Old 04-15-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see how that is miscommunication, since I said "no more Gamecube games from Factor 5". I immediately read it as they would still make games for Nintendo consoles, just no more for the current one.
Didn't mean a miscommunication from you, I meant a miscommunication in the reporting. The report on gamespot made it seem as if Factor 5 and gamecube are parting ways, apparently they are going to focus on the next gen of consoles.
Old 04-18-04, 05:23 PM

I haven't played Eternal Darkness (or any other SK game), but I thought this was interesting.

As your all probably well aware, rumors are circulating about the SK/GCN breakup being just a Marketing Ploy for an announcment of Eternal Darkness 2. After going through information, heres what I have come up with:

1) Dennis Dyack has stated the relationship between Nitendo and SK is/was very, very strong.

2) This announcment was completly out of the blue. Not the SLIGHTEST warnings at all.

3) IGN are the only people to have "offically" reported it. They are VERY close to Dennis Dyack.

4) Planet GameCube, also claiming to have contacted Dyack about this, posted the news at 3:33pm.

5) This news was announced April 13th. The E3 press conference ends May 13th.

6) Including the day of the announcment (April 13th) and the day after the end of E3 (May 15th) you have a total of 33 days.

7) Dyack has stated that if he hints towards there next game, ala: MGS, it will be in a much more tricky and sneaky method than he did last time, as people will be prepared.

8) There has still be NO official announcment. When Rare departed there Nintendo announced it (including press release) the day we knew or the day after.

9) Dyack has said there is much more to the Eternal Darkness story, and that one day he would like to show it.

Just a quick note to those in the dark: In the SK game Eternal Darkness the number 333 had a special, mysterious meaning to all the crazyness that was going on.

Am scraping the bottom of the barrel? Yes, definately. Is some of the stuff here pretty far fetched? Obviously yes, it is.

But you cant deny some of them seem "fishy". Noteably the fact there has been NO proper official announcment and that PlanetGamecube posted the article at 3:33.
So is this news of break up just one huge Insanity Effect to set up Eternal Darkness 2? Or it could be just one big coincidence.