Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone playing Far Cry yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally posted by flashburn
It should run OK. I tried using a 5200 with all settings at Max @ 1600x1200 and I was getting only a couple frames per second, where as on a 9800 Pro it was running smoothly on that same system. I had to turn down the resolution and the settings to medium and it was running decent. Blame NVIDIA's horrible DX9 support.
Yeah, I usually tone down the graphics on all my games. I always turn off shadows, I could care less whether I see one or not. I also put the character details at like medium or high (as opposed to max) and it works out fine. I play at 800x600, so games seem to run smoother at that res.
Old 03-29-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
geez - I have a athlon 2100+ with 512MB Ram and a geforce 4 ti 4400 and I always turn everything on and run stuff in 1024x768 and things run fine for me. I tried the Far Cry demo at high settings at that res and it was pretty smooth for the most part, only a couple choppy moments, but i had IE running in the background I think.
Old 03-29-04, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It should run OK. I tried using a 5200 with all settings at Max @ 1600x1200 and I was getting only a couple frames per second, where as on a 9800 Pro it was running smoothly on that same system. I had to turn down the resolution and the settings to medium and it was running decent. Blame NVIDIA's horrible DX9 support.
GeForce FX 5200 - Nvidia's lowest offering for their DirectX 9 cards

ATi Radeon 9800 Pro - ATi's second highest offering for their video cards (9800 XT being number 1)

I don't think you should blame nvidia on this one.
Old 03-29-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by khai
GeForce FX 5200 - Nvidia's lowest offering for their DirectX 9 cards

ATi Radeon 9800 Pro - ATi's second highest offering for their video cards (9800 XT being number 1)

I don't think you should blame nvidia on this one.
You can for their DX9 support.

edited to add: NVidia still has not been able to prove that their GeForceFX cards are fully DX9 compatiable.

Last edited by flashburn; 03-29-04 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-29-04, 02:16 PM
J_J

I got this and it runs fine on my Geforce 4 440MX 64 card which now is at the bottom of the list of cards to buy!

Running at 1024x768 with medium details. From the screen shots above the textures on the leaves etc are much better than my cards graphics but it still it amazing.

I am going to get a 9800 pro soon, at this weeks GDC show ATI are going to announce their next line of video cards. So during the next couple of months the 9800 series should drop in price, but don't quote me on that!

JJ
Old 03-29-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just bought this game too and i agree with everyone here. it is a definite beauty to enjoy and marvel at. it is hard because the enemy ai is smarter. and if you die and have to replay a certain area, you can bet that the enemy won't come the same way again.

the one gripe i do have is there is no quicksave option. but it's coming in a patch soon. haven't tried it on multiplayer yet. that's what unreal 2k4 and bf:v is for :P
Old 03-29-04, 04:31 PM

You can for their DX9 support.

edited to add: NVidia still has not been able to prove that their GeForceFX cards are fully DX9 compatiable.
Ah, I didn't mean that. I meant you can't blame the performance difference in your comparison. The GeForce FX 5200 is a less than $100 video card. One of the lowest DX9 video cards in the market. It'll give you bad performance in any game at 1600x1200 resolution. The Radeon 9800 Pro is one of the faster DX9 cards in the market sitting at around $200.

For a fair comparison, you should be comparing the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra to the Radeon 9800 Pro.

The v1.1 patch for Far Cry even improves performance for GeForce FX cards.

The GeForce FX cards do trail Radeon DX9 cards in DX9 performance, but they more than make up for it in OpenGL apps.

Disclaimer: I'm not an Nvidia fanboy since I payed good money for my All-in-Wonder Radeon 9700 Pro.
Old 03-29-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by khai
Ah, I didn't mean that. I meant you can't blame the performance difference in your comparison. The GeForce FX 5200 is a less than $100 video card. One of the lowest DX9 video cards in the market. It'll give you bad performance in any game at 1600x1200 resolution. The Radeon 9800 Pro is one of the faster DX9 cards in the market sitting at around $200.

For a fair comparison, you should be comparing the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra to the Radeon 9800 Pro.

The v1.1 patch for Far Cry even improves performance for GeForce FX cards.

The GeForce FX cards do trail Radeon DX9 cards in DX9 performance, but they more than make up for it in OpenGL apps.

Disclaimer: I'm not an Nvidia fanboy since I payed good money for my All-in-Wonder Radeon 9700 Pro.
Yeah, ATI is lacking somewhat in their OpenGL performance. That should be changing soon though.
Old 03-29-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Geforce FX 5200 = $109 for me (had to buy PCI, unfortunately)

I can't see myself buying a video card that costs $200-$400. I know I have what is considered the cappy card but hey, it was cheap, and works. I'm a cheap kinda guy

Anyhow, I will be picking this up tomorrow for sure, so hopefully it'll run ok.

I was able to play Call of Duty at max details and such with no choppiness, so I hope that is a good sign.
Old 04-02-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Something is up with my system. I have an AMD 2000 XP, Windows XP, and a Radeon 9800 Pro and the game is running choppy on just about every setting. It takes like 5 minutes for it to load the game. Then when I'm running around, every few seconds it will freeze a little and get choppy. Then everything will run smooth again. I've got nothing running in the background and all my drivers have been updated. Does anyone know what I can do to make it run smoothly?
Old 04-02-04, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Shilex
Something is up with my system. I have an AMD 2000 XP, Windows XP, and a Radeon 9800 Pro and the game is running choppy on just about every setting. It takes like 5 minutes for it to load the game. Then when I'm running around, every few seconds it will freeze a little and get choppy. Then everything will run smooth again. I've got nothing running in the background and all my drivers have been updated. Does anyone know what I can do to make it run smoothly?
It sounds to me like a insufficient ram problem. This game has lots of stuff to load and it is accessing your hardrive all the time. It runs great on my 9800 pro but I also have a 3000xp as well as a gig of dual channel ram.

Just a thought.
Good Luck.
Old 04-02-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I've been doing some researching online and it seems that my main problem is a lack of ram. It sucks cause I just sprung for the 9800 card and now I have to upgrade ram too. Playing games is getting expensive.
Old 04-03-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just installed this 3GB 5-disc beast. I'm gonna play it in a few minutes. Also picked up Splinter Cell (both at Fry's for 29 bucks)
Old 04-03-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am running a GF 5600 Ultra (overclocked), 512 memory, 2.6ghz intel chip. The demo runs smooth with medium settings at 1024x768. The game is still very playable using the high settings. I may pick the full version up today.

Nvidia released a new driver a couple of days ago. All you GF owners should go grab that.
Old 04-03-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a GF 4 4400, 512 ram, Athlon 2000+, soundblaster audigy... the demo ran pretty smooth with settings high and at 1024x768. The game runs like crap... I spent all night goofing with settings and scanning my hard drive and all sorts of stuff. I got it to run smooth on all medium settings, but when I get to the first door (during the training level in the beginning), the voices cut out. My main problem with this game is sound - before I effed with it, the sound was all choppy and scratchy and stuttered. I fixed that, but new problems cropped up. I did a search on the web and this seems to be a common problem - nobody really has a solution for it though, but some people are able to fix the problem on their own in different ways - or else work around it.
Old 04-03-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The game runs fine for me on medium settings with my video card.

Oh and in case anyone was debating whether or not to pick this up, it's on sale at Best Buy for $29.99 starting Sunday. So $24.99 after the GGC is an awesome deal for this great game
Old 04-03-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Trigger
I have a GF 4 4400, 512 ram, Athlon 2000+, soundblaster audigy... the demo ran pretty smooth with settings high and at 1024x768. The game runs like crap... I spent all night goofing with settings and scanning my hard drive and all sorts of stuff. I got it to run smooth on all medium settings, but when I get to the first door (during the training level in the beginning), the voices cut out. My main problem with this game is sound - before I effed with it, the sound was all choppy and scratchy and stuttered. I fixed that, but new problems cropped up. I did a search on the web and this seems to be a common problem - nobody really has a solution for it though, but some people are able to fix the problem on their own in different ways - or else work around it.
I am getting great sound on Far Cry but choppy sound on Pandora Tomorrow.
Old 04-03-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I've just upgraded my Ram to 1.30 Gigs of PC2700. Now everything runs great, even on high settings. But now another problem has arised. The game will crash occasionally for no reason. I'll be running around, the screen will then freeze and my monitor just blacks out (like it's no longer detecting a video card). I have to reboot after this. It doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally. Anyone know what could be causing this? I have all current drivers (Radeon 9800 Pro, AMD 2000 XP) and the game never crashed before the ram upgrade (but I also didn't have all the graphics setting turned up high).

BTW, this game is awesome!
Old 04-03-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay - well, there's a 1.1 patch already for Far Cry - I dinked around with my PC for hours running diskeeper and bootvis and tweaking the sound card and I finally got Far Cry to perform decent framerate-wise, but the sound was still causing issues - the patch seems to have completely fixed it. I didn't think it was Far Cry because I defragged with the windows xp defrag utility and after that a few other games had poor performance and my machine loaded slower than before. Must've been a combination of things that I did. After the patch, things worked perfectly and sound issues I was having weren't even listed in the fix list. Now Far Cry runs awesome at 1024. BF Vietnam runs great too. I haven't installed Splinter Cell yet, but the demo ran fine before, so I imagine the game will too.

So yeah... good for me.

This is really a great game. I can see some replayability with this game too as you can pretty much go through it any way you like. I wonder how the multiplayer will shape up.

Shilex - the patch is supposed to fix random crashes. List of mirrors:
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=9392
Old 04-04-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shilex
Ok, I've just upgraded my Ram to 1.30 Gigs of PC2700. Now everything runs great, even on high settings. But now another problem has arised. The game will crash occasionally for no reason. I'll be running around, the screen will then freeze and my monitor just blacks out (like it's no longer detecting a video card). I have to reboot after this. It doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally. Anyone know what could be causing this? I have all current drivers (Radeon 9800 Pro, AMD 2000 XP) and the game never crashed before the ram upgrade (but I also didn't have all the graphics setting turned up high).

BTW, this game is awesome!
Could be your memory.

Jeremy
Old 04-04-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yet another reason why I can't wait for my new HP Pavilion to arrive. Three weeks to go, though

- David Stein
Old 04-05-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am almost done with this game. It's awesome, and I'd definitely recommend it. However, there are a few things that bothered me...

In the
Spoiler:
indoor levels, sometimes it's really choppy, especially when the monster creatures (forgot their names) start appearing.

Also, if this was just all mercs, it would have been great. The whole creature thing makes it seem to try and be too much like Half-Life. At least there is no alien world this time, at least not from what I have seen.

I wish all the levels were outside. The one level that resembles Jurassic Park (even though it featured the creatures) was awesome.

Some of the levels are impossible. Even on easy mode. There is one level in particular. You're indoors, and you come to these mercs fighting off a bunch of creatures. There must be like 10 of the little ones, and one of the huge ones with the RPG. They swarm you, and three hits, you're dead. I had to use god mode for this just to avoid going insane, and I never use cheats until after I finish a game.

Anyhow, other then what I mentioned above, great game
Old 04-05-04, 08:22 PM
Banned

Going to pick it up at Best Buy for 29.99 tommorow, The demo ran great on my system, Will the Game? I have Dell Dimension, Pentium 4, 3 ghz, 128MB Nvdia Geforce 5200, and 512 of RAM, and i ran the demo onm 1024 X 768, You think the game will run good?
Old 04-06-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jordan Raup
Going to pick it up at Best Buy for 29.99 tommorow, The demo ran great on my system, Will the Game? I have Dell Dimension, Pentium 4, 3 ghz, 128MB Nvdia Geforce 5200, and 512 of RAM, and i ran the demo onm 1024 X 768, You think the game will run good?
Don't forget to use the GGC

It should run fine on your system.
Old 04-06-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Things I like:

- water effect is unreal, simply amazing, Cryengine works great.
- AI is smart most of the time, currently playing medium difficulty.
- vehicles are way cool - hummer, attack boat, and hang glider.
- like Halo, limited weapon carrying ablilty, much more realistic.
- decent weapon selection, especially like the sniper rifle.
- no noticable load times when moving through each level.

Things I don't like:

- difficulty configuring video settings for optimal performance.
- lush outdoor environments were repetative.
- 5 CD's to load, I should have gotten the DVD version.

Multiplayer: I haven't had a chance to try this yet. After I finish the single player mode.

I give this game a B+.

Can't wait for Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.