No New Nintendo Console?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No New Nintendo Console?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No New Nintendo Console?

http://www.gigex.com/gamecube/articl...7&source=00001

Gamers waiting for a successor to the GameCube will have a longer wait than they might think...

According to the Nihon Keizai Shimbun and the Dow Jones news service, Nintendo has made an important decision regarding its home console business. Rather than trying to keep pace with Sony and Microsoft, the company will not be releasing a brand-new video game console for the time being.

Instead, Nintendo plans to diversify their offerings for the GameCube by providing new peripherals for the system and a wider, more appealing variety of software. No concrete details are available yet, but some of these peripherals are being planned for release as early as 2005 and are expected to utilize the handheld connection (with the GBA, and maybe the DS too).

Nintendo believes that improving graphics and sound is not as important as making sure the gaming experience is solid. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata thinks the current model offers plenty for gamers, and there's no need to rush into the next-generation. "Customers are fully satisfied with the performance of the current model," said Iwata.

Accordingly, Nintendo will focus on adding functions to the GameCube and offering more in the way of gameplay styles for the next 2-3 years. At the same time, however, in-house development of a new console will continue. What this means, therefore, is that the GameCube's lifespan just got extended. Don't expect the "N5" or whatever it will be called until 2006 at the earliest.
Old 02-09-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: No New Nintendo Console?

Originally posted by goLUCKY
Instead, Nintendo plans to diversify their offerings for the GameCube by providing new peripherals for the system and a wider, more appealing variety of software...

Nintendo believes that improving graphics and sound is not as important as making sure the gaming experience is solid.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 02-09-04, 04:42 PM
Retired

That goes against all official word from Nintendo, in which they said a successor was in development and that they wouldnt' make the mistake of launching a year after the competition again.

They have said that a focus on games was more important that hardware, but they meant that it will be good games, not technical prowess that wins the next generation as the leap in graphical power won't be as big as in past generational jumps. Maybe someone just misinterpretted that.

Thus I'll wait until we here something from Nintendo.
Old 02-09-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, if you are XBox and at the front of the pack in tech specs it is one thing to say this, but GC (which I love) has a boatload of issues. If you are having trouble selling it now, what do you think is going to happen when PS3 ad XBox next hit the shelves.

Although I agree that the improvement is going to be minimal in graphics and such, waiting is suicide. But hey, this is Nintendo and sounds like something they would do.
Old 02-09-04, 04:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Looks like Nintendo is going the way of Sega.
Old 02-09-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Nintendo is going the way of the Samurai.
Old 02-09-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the graphics are good enough, I wouldn't mind seeing the quality and variety of the games get better. Games like Adventure and Combat on the 2600 were fun to play even though the graphics were a tad lacking (though at the time they were cutting edge).

The EyeToy is a great example of what you can do with imagination rather than power. Anyone who hasn't tried out an EyeToy should take a crack at it when/if they get a chance. It's a lot of fun.
Old 02-09-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They are taking a wait and see approach. Personally I would be totally fine with the decision because I don't want to buy another console. I won't be buying any new console at launch anymore due to how fast the prices drop.

But this does go against their official word and the deals they've made with IBM and ATI. If they do decide to release the N5 after the X-box 2 and PS3 are out, it may be more advanced than both of them.
Old 02-09-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally posted by Outlaw
They are taking a wait and see approach. Personally I would be totally fine with the decision because I don't want to buy another console. I won't be buying any new console at launch anymore due to how fast the prices drop.

same here. (of course I say that now...) I'm planning to ease up on my gaming purchases quite a bit (due to time and money) and just enjoy the games I have now for awhile.
Old 02-09-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2006... isn't that about on pace with PS3 and Xbox Next anyway?
Old 02-09-04, 05:49 PM

Nintendo is releasing another console but instead of rushing it (like Xbox Next) they are waiting. Peripherals are a great idea. I couldn't be happier with my GCN (Wavebird x2, Gameboy Player). Why rush consumers into a new console when many just bought at the $99 price point? Offer a quality portable GCN screen, wireless LAN and a HD.
I recently purchased a Xbox to find out next year a new one is coming (with MAYBE no backwards compatibility and no HD). Screw that. Learn how to make quality games-then we'll talk.
Old 02-09-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jediwicz
Nintendo is releasing another console but instead of rushing it (like Xbox Next) they are waiting. Peripherals are a great idea. I couldn't be happier with my GCN (Wavebird x2, Gameboy Player). Why rush consumers into a new console when many just bought at the $99 price point? Offer a quality portable GCN screen, wireless LAN and a HD.
I recently purchased a Xbox to find out next year a new one is coming (with MAYBE no backwards compatibility and no HD). Screw that. Learn how to make quality games-then we'll talk.
cause I'd rather buy 1 console and have it complete and ready to do any application out of the box. You want it to integrate with the GBA and use it as a controller, fine, but don't force me to buy a new peripheral every time.

As they make more useless crap which I will be forced to buy just to be able to play the games I have to completion, more and more 3rd party developers jump ship. You can't support a console when nobody make decent games for it.
Old 02-09-04, 07:05 PM

turns out the Nikkei article wasn't translated accurately, it is just speculation.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/491/491...html?fromint=1
Old 02-09-04, 07:12 PM

Wise idea. Another platform would probably make Nintendo lose even more money than it has already, and knocking it to extinction. This way at least, it would probably last a little longer.
Old 02-09-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If the news is they are not releasing a console in 2005 then big deal. I don't think Sony or Microsoft will be releasing one until 2006 either. I like the fact they don't want to shorten the life of the GameCube, but this doesn't convince me they won't have a new console out in 2006.
Old 02-09-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
peripherals?

anyone remember segaCD, 32x, the SNES CD-Drive, the N64D. And how about that great GBA connectivity thing?

If there is any truth to this at all... just one more nail in the coffin. And this coming from a guy who will always get a nextGen Nintendo before the other brands.
Old 02-09-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
If they sell peripherals fine, but if they are going to push them above all other things then when they do release the next system my peripherals better keep on working on the next release.
Old 02-09-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a Nintendo guy as well, and I hope this isn't true. I can't imagine allowing MS to gain a foothold in people's homes is a good idea. It's doubtful anyone is catching the Play Station in the next generation console. But to allow MS to gain marketshare on you doesn't seem like a wise idea.
Old 02-09-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"First -- much of the Nikkei article is speculation. Mr. Iwata's comments are from a prior interview and not in direct response to the subjects raised in the article," said Nintendo of America's director of public relations Beth Llewlyn. "Second -- We are staying in the hardware business. We're working on our next generation console system and will launch it at the same time as our competitors.

--
Old 02-09-04, 09:44 PM

This article is directly from reuters:

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml...toryID=4319802

Nintendo Says Developing Successor to GameCube
Mon February 9, 2004 09:09 PM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese video game maker Nintendo Co Ltd said on Tuesday it was developing a successor to its GameCube console, but that it was wary of making big chip investments for a next generation game machine.

The Kyoto-based company said development of the next version of the GameCube was proceeding as planned and denied a report in the Nihon Keizai business daily that it would delay the launch of a next-generation game machine.

"Our machine will be ready at the same time as the other new consoles, but we're not sold on developing powerful microprocessors to create graphics that cannot even be viewed on existing televisions," said Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa.

Sony is developing a high-powered processor, codenamed "Cell," to power the latest version in the PlayStation series, while Microsoft plans to use three powerful 64-bit microprocessors from IBM in the next version of its Xbox console.

Sony plans to invest 120 billion yen ($1.14 billion) in the business year starting April 1 to upgrade production lines at its factories and at the manufacturing facilities of Toshiba Corp and IBM for next-generation semiconductors, including "Cell."

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has said on numerous occasions that the video game industry has started to alienate fans by developing games that are too complex and too heavily dependent on graphics. The company plans a new peripheral item for the GameCube, but Nintendo's Minagawa declined to comment on what the new "adaptor" would be.

Later this year, Nintendo plans to launch a new, portable video game system, codenamed "Nintendo DS," that will feature two liquid crystal display (LCD) screens, one above the other.

Nintendo shares were down 2.77 percent at 9,840 yen in early trade against a 0.96 percent fall in the Nikkei average.
Old 02-10-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My attourney has advised me not to comment on this subject.
Old 02-10-04, 01:00 AM

Looks like Blah Blah Blah is finally Blah the Blah of Blah Blah Blah.
Old 02-10-04, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by RoQuEr
cause I'd rather buy 1 console and have it complete and ready to do any application out of the box. You want it to integrate with the GBA and use it as a controller, fine, but don't force me to buy a new peripheral every time.
Exactly.
Old 02-10-04, 12:50 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Outlaw
They'll launch when the others do, period. They've said so numerous times, including new quotes posted below.

But I'm with you on waiting. I'm not 100% sure I'll buy a console at all next gen as my game playing is dwindling (haven't touched either of my 3 consoles in over a month, just a little play time on the GBA). But if I do buy one, it won't be at launch. Prices just drop too fast, and launch line ups have been lacking the past couple generations. Better to wait a year or two, get the system for at least $100 less and have some killer games available for $20 IMO.
Old 02-10-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by madcougar
I am a Nintendo guy as well, and I hope this isn't true. I can't imagine allowing MS to gain a foothold in people's homes is a good idea. It's doubtful anyone is catching the Play Station in the next generation console. But to allow MS to gain marketshare on you doesn't seem like a wise idea.
Don't worry by the sounds of it MS is hammering their own nails in their own coffin as well. Not including a hard drive? No backwards compatiblity?

They(Nintendo & MS) are already handing the next gen over to Sony. Sad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.