Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Viewtiful Joe.. Will we see another like it?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been enjoying this game quite a bit, and was wondering if we would see any other games of this type either in this or a future console generation. It seems to be one of the few games I have played lately that is "different". That is, it actually attempts to have a style and gameplay that is its own. Do you think we will be seeing Joe in another game? Or at least have another developer try their hat at a "2-d" type game?

Anyone else play this and enjoy it?
Old 01-17-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I understand it, Viewtiful Joe 2 is already in the works.
Old 01-17-04, 12:41 PM
Banned

I want to play this game pretty bad. I wish they would port it to xbox or PSX2 if it can handle it.
Old 01-17-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I sure hope so. As of late games have begun to really lack for me personally. This game on the other hand is a true gem. If next generation hardware only offers new graphics and online gameplay I'll have to pass until something fresh and new comes along. This is coming from a launch buyer of 3 generations...
Old 01-17-04, 02:25 PM

Me too. I thought this was the most original game that has come out in an long time, but it still has some old school aspects brought into the modern generation in a very stylish way. In this way they succeeded on every level. Its one of the few games that I actually played through on the more advanced difficulty levels after completing it because its so fun to play.

There is some good news, Hideki Kamiya stated that Team Viewtiful is already in development on a new game, but he didn't say whether it was a sequel to VJ or not. But in his statement, there's a very blurred out and grayscale screenshot of a game and a drawing of Viewtiful Joe looking at it and making some comments on it. Whatever it is, if Viewtiful Joe is any indication of what these guys can do I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 01-17-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Outlaw

There is some good news, Hideki Kamiya stated that Team Viewtiful is already in development on a new game, but he didn't say whether it was a sequel to VJ or not. But in his statement, there's a very blurred out and grayscale screenshot of a game and a drawing of Viewtiful Joe looking at it and making some comments on it. Whatever it is, if Viewtiful Joe is any indication of what these guys can do I'm really looking forward to it.
that is good news indeed.
Old 01-17-04, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Outlaw
Rumor has it that the team is now working on DMC3 to make of for the crap they put out for DMC2. It will be good to have the team back that created DMC.
Old 01-18-04, 03:35 PM

Here's the IGN article and translation of the text.

Kamiya also hinted at his next project, which, he said, like Joe would not be a "normal" game. He writes, "next time we meet we'll be waiting for our next game together."

Most interesting is an illustration at the bottom of the column that depicts Viewtiful Joe watching a blurred-over television, presumably displaying the still-secret name game. The new project appears to capture Joe's attention and the character teases: "...but you can't see anything!"

Joe's right. We don't think anybody will be able to tell what the game is. It may have nothing at all to do with the Viewtiful Joe franchise, even. But whatever it is, we're excited as Kamiya's track record is solid."
Old 01-18-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

original? it's a platformer. if anything, it is but original. but, it is a very good platformer.

which goes to show you that originality isn't necessarily a good thing in itself (just like pretty graphics). it just needs to be fun.
Old 01-19-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought Viewtiful Joe was such an incredibly original game that we won't see anything like it ever.