Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From GameSpot.com: MS Game Studios Ed Fries resigns

From GameSpot.com....

GameSpot: Ed Fries resigns story

Ed Fries exits Microsoft

(UPDATE)Gaming giant tenders resignation after 18 years of producing, deal-making, and championing Microsoft Games Studio.

One of the game industry's most prominent and powerful players has left the company where he started his career almost 20 years ago. This morning, Microsoft senior vice president and chief Xbox officer Robbie Bach sent an e-mail out to the press announcing that Ed Fries, Microsoft Game Studios' vice president of games publishing, was leaving his post.

In the e-mail, Bach said that he had "reluctantly accepted Ed's resignation, who after 18 years of service to Microsoft, has made the decision to leave the company and pursue other goals." Bach added, "Although I'm saddened by Ed's departure, the occasion provides a unique opportunity to celebrate his impressive contribution to the company--a career that spans nearly two decades." No reason for the resignation was given.

For now, Fries will be replaced by MGS COO Shane Kim, who, Bach says, "will serve as acting chief of Microsoft Game Studios until such time that a permanent successor can be named."

In a conversation with GameSpot today, Bach revealed that while he and Fries had been discussing the move for weeks, it was only last Friday that Fries announced his decision was final. The departure was official as of yesterday.

Bach confirmed that Fries had "removed himself from the day to day agenda," at Microsoft, and that Kim was firmly entrenched in his new role as acting chief of the studios. Last Friday was Fries' last day in the Microsoft office.

Kim told GameSpot his primary focus was "to make sure the organization doesn't skip a beat…to make sure we continue to execute on our plan." He added his immediate mission now was to "take stock of the organization and continue to produce awesome games in the future." As for Kim's future role within the organization, Bach did say that events "may lead to Shane being the permanent head" of the organization.

Fries began his career at Microsoft in 1985 as a lowly intern in charge of online tutorials. Ten years later, he was put in charge of the Microsoft's games division, and brought an impressive group of developers--including Ensemble Studios' Bruce Shelley and Big Huge Games' Brian Reynolds. Fries was also at the helm during the Xbox launch in 2001, and was instrumental in Microsoft's acquisition of Halo-makers Bungie.

By Curt Feldman, GameSpot (POSTED: 01/13/04 10:17 AM)
Old 01-14-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
mmm, Fries....
Old 01-14-04, 01:18 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't say I'm sorry to see him go. He came across as an ass in most interviews I read.
Old 01-14-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe he quit so he could retire and spend more time playing games, hehe.
Old 01-14-04, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Can't say I'm sorry to see him go. He came across as an ass in most interviews I read.
I agree the X Factor TV thing made me hate the guy. I don't think he has done allot for xbox the people who was on broad before are still on broad now so nothing have changed for xbox. I mean WTF happened to getting other company's on broad? However this does make M$ look bad I mean WTF is going on over there where their top guys are quiting. Also most rich people who run a company are *******s you got to have a huge ego and think nothing can stop me when running a company
Old 01-14-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
I agree the X Factor TV thing made me hate the guy. I don't think he has done allot for xbox the people who was on broad before are still on broad now so nothing have changed for xbox. I mean WTF happened to getting other company's on broad? However this does make M$ look bad I mean WTF is going on over there where their top guys are quiting. Also most rich people who run a company are *******s you got to have a huge ego and think nothing can stop me when running a company

Usually when these corporate types "leave to pursue other interests" it could mean a couple of things. They either quit before they got fired. There's a fundamental difference of opinion about the companys "direction" and they were forced out, or they were given the option to leave on their own terms.

Which one applys I have no idea. But it doesn't speak well that first Seamus Blackely leaves and now Ed Fries leaves.
Old 01-14-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree the X Factor TV thing made me hate the guy. I don't think he has done allot for xbox the people who was on broad before are still on broad now so nothing have changed for xbox. I mean WTF happened to getting other company's on broad?
I think they prefer to be called dames, or sometimes chicks.

Old 01-14-04, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by MaxF
I think they prefer to be called dames, or sometimes chicks.

DAMN SPELL CHECKER TO HELL. My spelling and stuff will be even worse this week then most I'm sick as a dog so thinking is harder.
Old 01-14-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I would just like to say to our Xbox representative that if they need a new Vice President I would be more than happy to take the salary. Now where's my private jet?
Old 01-14-04, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I would just like to say to our Xbox representative that if they need a new Vice President I would be more than happy to take the salary. Now where's my private jet?
Not before I get that job :-)
Old 01-14-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think they are trying to hire someone from the competition, if the past is any indication.
Old 01-14-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by Calico
Not before I get that job :-)
Then can I have yours?
Old 01-14-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0

The Art of Schmoozing I see.
Old 01-14-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DAMN SPELL CHECKER TO HELL. My spelling and stuff will be even worse this week then most I'm sick as a dog so thinking is harder.
It's cool - nothing personal. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-15-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Usually when these corporate types "leave to pursue other interests" it could mean a couple of things. They either quit before they got fired. There's a fundamental difference of opinion about the companys "direction" and they were forced out, or they were given the option to leave on their own terms.
Or they were just flat-out fired.

I've noticed in the business world that once you reach a certain level, you're rarely "fired". Phrases like "left to pursue other interests" are thrown around along with a big severance package to prevent lawsuits.

Not that this necessarily happened with Fries, just offering a third option (although it's pretty close to your 1st option).

I've known management level people at my company that should have been kicked in the ass and shown the door with absolutely nothing. But they walk away with almost a year's salary and a nice letter of recommendation simply because that's cheaper than dealing with a wrongful termination lawsuit, no matter how clueless the person is.
Old 01-15-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's it! Nintendo is going the way of Sega!
Old 01-15-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally posted by Gromit
Not that this necessarily happened with Fries, just offering a third option (although it's pretty close to your 1st option).
From his comments to CNN, lifted from Team XBox:

In an interview with CNN, Ed Fries gave further details behind his resignation.

"We're kind of at the point in the project that you have to decide 'are you going to sign up for another five years for the next version or not'," Fries said. "That's just the natural point to look back at it and ask 'Is this what I want to do? Is everything how I want it to be?'"

CNN revealed that the departure comes after months of discussions between Fries and Bach. Fries said the company offered to change his job responsibilities in order to convince him to stay, but the two parties could not reach an agreement.

"For me, I'm looking for a situation where I have a lot of freedom around the development of our products and the way those products come to market," he said. "I've had some of that to date, but not as much as I would like."
Old 01-16-04, 12:37 AM

actually you are quite wrong. i unfortunately can't remember his name, but one of the "founders" of the xbox, also left the company and started his own development company.
Old 01-16-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LuisL
actually you are quite wrong. i unfortunately can't remember his name, but one of the "founders" of the xbox, also left the company and started his own development company.
Seamus Blackley?
Old 01-16-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it means that quality blockbusters AAA titles like Nightcasters, Tao Feng or Kabuto Chojin are going the way of Ed Fries, then perhaps we Xbox owners should count our blessings.
Old 01-16-04, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LuisL
I'm worng what you mean I know about the other guy leaving. He lift like a few months after lanch. I think it was around the UK lanch. OHHHHHHH I see you did not get what I typed no I mean the same game companys are on xbox that was there dring lanch. M$ has done a bad bad job at getting other game company's onto the system. You understand me now? I was talking about game companys not people.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 01-16-04 at 09:32 PM.