Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Online video game cataloguing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Online video game cataloguing?

Amazon's Your Media Library feature is another pretty good and completely free option, especially if you want to catalog multiple media types in the same place and if you buy a lot from Amazon. My only complaint is that I can't seem to get their import from file feature to work at all.
Old 01-04-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just use an Excel spreadsheet.
Old 01-04-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Amazon's Your Media Library feature is another pretty good and completely free option, especially if you want to catalog multiple media types in the same place and if you buy a lot from Amazon. My only complaint is that I can't seem to get their import from file feature to work at all.
I've got most of my library listed on Amazon's "Your Media Library." I ran into some problems with some ISBN/UPC numbers not matching up, but not a lot of them. (I don't remember offhand what they were.) It's nice to have one list of everything, but it loads a bit slow and isn't nearly as informative as, say, DVD Profiler. Also, it's obnoxious that even with my password saved, I have to sign in each time I go to add an item to my library.
Old 01-04-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Also, it's obnoxious that even with my password saved, I have to sign in each time I go to add an item to my library.
Once you're signed into Amazon, you shouldn't have to login again to add titles if you use this method: find the item's page on Amazon and scroll down to the "Rate This Item..." and check the "I own it" checkbox. If it says "saved" by the rating stars, then it was added to your media library.

I agree it has its quirks, but it's one of the best free options I've found.
Old 01-05-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Once you're signed into Amazon, you shouldn't have to login again to add titles if you use this method: find the item's page on Amazon and scroll down to the "Rate This Item..." and check the "I own it" checkbox. If it says "saved" by the rating stars, then it was added to your media library.

I agree it has its quirks, but it's one of the best free options I've found.
Yeah, that works but to do that I have to go to each item's page individually and wait for them all to load (one in four Amazon pages freeze at the top of the page for me, for reasons I still don't comprehend).
Old 01-05-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Yeah, that works but to do that I have to go to each item's page individually and wait for them all to load (one in four Amazon pages freeze at the top of the page for me, for reasons I still don't comprehend).
Wow, sounds like you and Amazon don't get along too well.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I've never been successful at using the import file option to add titles to the media library. No matter how I format the text file, when I click "Import" the resulting page just says "You got an error, son!" Thanks Amazon, that's really helpful.
Old 01-05-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

The only problem with Amazon is that you can't tailor your Gold Box offerings if you are using the site to also catalog your collection.
Old 01-05-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. That's pretty sweet to have your Blu Rays, DVDs, and Games all on one site.