Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hyper Street Fighter 2 import

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 03:21 PM
fab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hyper Street Fighter 2 import

So one of my friends picked up the import version of this and I had the chance to play it recently.

It's about what I expected from the descriptions. The main engine seems to be Super Turbo with Super Turbo backgrounds. When you pick your fighter if you choose a pre-Super version fighter the portrait is from the pre-Super era. That was a nice touch. No real noticble load times, but I guess that's expected this generation.. seems not so long we were waiting what felt like an eternity for fighters to load between rounds. You get 3 choices of background music, CPS1, CPS2 or ARRANGE. I think even the Pre-CPS2 stages have some original CPS1 music, or perhaps my ears are deceiving me. The Gallery mode is pretty comprehensive including intro's and credit rolls from all the Street Fighter 2 series of games. Also totally unexpected (to me at least) was the full version of the Street Fighter 2 Anime Movie. It's Japanese dubbed of course with no english subs, but you can pause, chapter forward and reverse, which is nice. I have a feeling this particular feature won't be included in the USA release of this game, but I would like to be wrong.

Anyway, nice package.. if it's budget priced when it hits the USA, I will very likely pick it up.

--
fab
Old 12-18-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They released this already for the PS1 years ago.

From what I can tell the only difference is that you can have characters from one version face other version characters. (ie: Champion Ken vs. Super Ken).. and the anime. I'm pretty sure the music options were in the original collections.

Does sound nice for those that haven't already bought this (these) game(s) several times already, espically budget priced.

The biggest baffle point to me is lack of online mode?! If I recall, Capcom released a version of original SF2 on the Dreamcast that had online fighting on it.
Old 12-18-03, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
They released this already for the PS1 years ago.
When did they release this on the PS1? Isn't the OP is talking about the new version that Capcom just released in JP to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Street Fighter. It's a mix of the different SF2 versions.
Old 12-18-03, 07:37 PM
fab

I'm sure PixyJunket is referring to the PSOne titles Street Fighter Collection which contained Super Street Fighter 2, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold and Street Fighter Collection 2 which contains Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 CE, and Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting.

This latest release includes 1 game with the ability to pick any of the above mentioned game (excluding Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold of course) characters. While not the same as the previously mentioned titles, I can see where one might consider this just another rehash of what's already been released.

Like I said before, I'm interested in this title at a budget price point only, but I feel that it's still a new and worthy offering. Hey, I'm all for a Street Fighter Alpha 3 Hyper Collection... and while they're at it, how about a Hyper Marvel vs. Capcom collection with X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Street Fighter, X-Men, Marvel Super Heroes, etc. etc.. all on one disc. Could owning such a disc make a MAME collection legal....?

--
fab
Old 12-18-03, 11:26 PM

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault...ae_tgs_2k3.wmv

I'm importing this one as well... no doubt. One of the reasons why I got a PS2 just recently.

What's a good place to import games?
Old 12-18-03, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by khai

What's a good place to import games?
ncsx.com has been around for awhile, and they have a pretty good rep with import gamers. I bought from them several times and had no problems.

I've never ordered from buyrite, but I've heard a lot of people say avoid them.

Is tronix or advanced imports still around?
Old 12-19-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a U.S date set for this?
Old 12-19-03, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

feb 04
Old 12-19-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say that this is a totally new game. There are several big changes that make it so....

1. World Warrior characters can dizzy you very easily, no matter what version of a character you are playing.

2. All of Guiles infamous re-dizzy combos work on EVERYONE.

3. All of the "store" tactics have been removed....like storing Chun Li's Super Combo as you walk forward, and E.Honda's Ochio Slam....no more storing moves.

4. Guile has one speed of sonic boom, and one version of his flash kick.

6. You cannot pick the stage during VS mode.

7. You can only tech throw if you are playing a Super Turbo character vs another Super Turbo character.

8. If someone is playing a World Warrior character, you cannot choose the same World Warrior character as they did.

What is cool is the fact the sprites are EXACTLY the same as their old skool versions. So lets say you pick World Warrior Guile....well he animates the exact same as he did back then. His animations changed once Champion Ed came out. This is true for every character.

I wish capcom would have included some sort of dip switch menu that allows you to turn off redizzy combos, and allows you to activate the old glitches like Guiles handcuffs, the guile blackout, the drunken monkey pose, disappearing dhalsim, infinite hurricane kicks in the bonus stages, spinning pile driver from the other side of the screen....it would have been a nice touch.
Old 12-19-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm confused... is the jap version different than the us version, or can you guys just not wait 2 months???
Old 12-19-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jessecrx

wtf? that's garbage if true
Old 12-19-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
wtf? that's garbage if true
actually the final revision of the original SF2 World Warrior was never released here in the states. It is said that they toned Guile down...thus the one speed sonic boom. Champion Ed, Hyper Fighting, Super, and Super Turbo all have variable speed sonic booms.
Old 12-19-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mkdevo
i'm confused... is the jap version different than the us version, or can you guys just not wait 2 months???
The text will be changed from Japanese to English, therefore it's against the creator's original intent and is CENSORED.
Old 12-19-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mkdevo
The Japanese Version of HSF2X will include SF2 The Animated Movie....not sure if its the game based on the movie, or if its the actual DVD movie....but thats what makes it different.

Also there is a collectors set that will have a fat art book, a cell phone strap, and another bonus dvd that will have all sorts of combo videos, strats, and features that show the evolution of the SF series.
Old 12-19-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also there is a collectors set that will have a fat art book, a cell phone strap, and another bonus dvd that will have all sorts of combo videos, strats, and features that show the evolution of the SF series.
Ya know.. it's sad that Working Designs is the only US company that does stuff like this.
Old 12-19-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. They always put out quality product.

I am just glad that I will be able to have a good version of SF2. Now all my old buds cant give me the lame excuse "Oh, if i had old skool Guile, or Hyper Fighting Ryu I would beat you down!"

No excuses now.

I think the SF2 games have always been the best out of ALL the SF series ever made.
Old 12-19-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say that this is a totally new game. There are several big changes that make it so....

1. World Warrior characters can dizzy you very easily, no matter what version of a character you are playing.

2. All of Guiles infamous re-dizzy combos work on EVERYONE.

3. All of the "store" tactics have been removed....like storing Chun Li's Super Combo as you walk forward, and E.Honda's Ochio Slam....no more storing moves.

6. You cannot pick the stage during VS mode.

7. You can only tech throw if you are playing a Super Turbo character vs another Super Turbo character.

8. If someone is playing a World Warrior character, you cannot choose the same World Warrior character as they did.
That's funny... changes of this scope are normally considered a "patch." Not considered a "new version," let alone "a whole new game."

During my prime undergrad game-playing days (7-8 years ago), I was a big Street Fighter fan, but even then the minute changes between "versions" kind of puzzled me.

- David Stein
Old 12-19-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sfsdfd
That's funny... changes of this scope are normally considered a "patch." Not considered a "new version," let alone "a whole new game."

In the arcades, I feel this is an acceptable practice.

In a home market.. it's called highway robbery (See also, Megaman.. also by Capcom).
Old 12-19-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
The text will be changed from Japanese to English, therefore it's against the creator's original intent and is CENSORED.
you know you do have a point there. Vega, Bison and Balrog's name are all changed and it does not affect gameplay. You should bring that up in the stupid kof thread.

hey jesse, you still play CvS2 online?

and about guile, from what you wrote at first, I thought yu meant all versions of guile would have 1 SB and FK, that's why i said it was garbage. The poor guy has only had 2 moves for like 10+ years now.
Old 12-20-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, I gave up on CVS2 online. P-Groove is just too hard to play effectively on there.

I now play on Zbattle
Old 12-20-03, 09:21 PM

is there a way to play Japanese PS2 games on a US PS2 or do I have to buy a Japanese PS2 just to play the import PS2 games?
Old 12-21-03, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
feb 04
Not questioning your information, but where did you read that? I'm just a little anxious about it. Why? I don't know.
Old 12-21-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i got it from shoryuken.com actually, so dont hold me to it