X-box Music Mixer questions

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-15-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How easy is this to set-up?

I am mainly interested in using it to transfer MP3 files to my x-box to use as custom soudtracks in games.

Thanks/
Old 12-15-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
supposedly pretty easy. Transfers over like FTP, but there is a little lag time due to conversion of the mP3 files into the supported xbox format (probably WMA).
Old 12-15-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does it allow the play of anything other than music? Like wmv's or mpegs? I know Microsoft was working on something that lets you transfer music, video and pictures to your xbox (like that xbox media center mod). But I haven't heard anything in a few months.
Old 12-15-03, 11:12 PM

What does it do that allows files transfers (specifically mp3s)? Do we really have to buy the music mixer to do just that or is there a "work-around"?
Old 12-16-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

sorry, not too sure on those ones
Old 12-16-03, 12:27 PM

I'm curious because I already have the XBOX hooked up through my PC to get it connected to the internet (via the ethernet port). I can't imagine I'm too far from being able to transfer file right now.
Old 12-16-03, 01:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by finbogg
I'm curious because I already have the XBOX hooked up through my PC to get it connected to the internet (via the ethernet port). I can't imagine I'm too far from being able to transfer file right now.
I think that's all you need... you put your computer and X-Box on the same hub, and then you download a program for your PC from the X-Box Music Mixer website, and you install (or whatever) the Music Mixer program on your X-Box, and you should be able to use the PC program to transfer files. I have the Music Mixer, but I haven't used it yet.
Old 12-16-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Static Cling
I think that's all you need... you put your computer and X-Box on the same hub, and then you download a program for your PC from the X-Box Music Mixer website, and you install (or whatever) the Music Mixer program on your X-Box, and you should be able to use the PC program to transfer files. I have the Music Mixer, but I haven't used it yet.
Yeah, but what he meant was without having to spend $40 on Music Mixer just to transfer music over. Atleast, thats what I think he meant.
Old 12-17-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by finbogg
all you need is a certain savegame, and an FTP client on your PC
Old 12-17-03, 02:26 PM

Just remember, Windows XP is required if you want to transfer files from your PC to XBOX via the Music Mixer.
Old 12-17-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RoQuEr
all you need is a certain savegame, and an FTP client on your PC
Point me the direction?
Old 12-21-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As the OP to this thread, I bought this piece of junk primarily to txfer songs to my x-box to use as custom soundtracks in games. After downloading software and creating a .NET passport, which you must do, I selected songs and tried to transfer. (This only works with XP also) NO LUCK!! After 1 hour of tinkering with network settings, I gave up and returned it today. Don't waste your time with this crap. I kept getting errors that the x-box could not find my PC. Maybe its my set-up (PC, X-box, PS2 connected to a Linksys Router), but its not worth it. Back to using cds - I guess.

Also, does anyone know if I make a cd with songs in wma format, will the x-box recognize it?

Thanks
Old 12-21-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry to hear your trouble with it, bahgee. Linksys Routers always = bad news. I think I will wait for a sale or perhaps an alternative method for transfering songs over.
Old 12-21-03, 05:43 PM

I had trouble with this crap too. I did some stuff and it worked. Basically I opened up the port 3074 and magic happened. Dunno if that was the original problem though, cuz I did like 50 things before I did that.

To answer your question though.

- The XBOX will only read Audio CD's in the disc drive. No WMA or MP3 CD's.

- XBOX Music Mixer recognizes WMA's and MP3's when you send it over the network. BUT, only the software recognizes that format. XBOX Music Mixer plays MP3's and WMA's. From the dashboard or in-game, it doesn't recognize it. So what you have to do is re-convert it in XBOX Music Mixer for the XBOX to recognize it as a whole.
Old 12-21-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Yep I heard you still have to convert to WMA to use as in game soundtracks. F'n Windows Media Format. Same with Sony's b.s. sound format they did with MDs. MP3's people. When will these people get it right.

Windows Media Audio = Beta VCR