Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-10-03, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, did anybody pick up the PS2 version this past Friday? I picked it up and beat it over the weekend. What an amazing game this is! The enviornments are simply amazing, and the characters, loveable. The prince's moves are very fluid and the level designs are ingenious. I didn't play the demo, and just picked it up from watching some trailers. This game is definately worth a purchase...don't miss it!
Old 11-10-03, 01:22 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long did it take to finish? I'm not keen on dropping $50 on a game that can be beaten in a weekend.
Old 11-10-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
How long did it take to finish? I'm not keen on dropping $50 on a game that can be beaten in a weekend.

yea i really wanted this game until I read his post
Old 11-10-03, 01:41 PM

Well, it took me about 9 1/2 hours to beat. However, the editors at IGN said that it took them about 15 hours. So I guess it depends on the person who's playing the game. I would definately play the game again since the levels were such a blast to play through. That and I still need to unlock Prince of Persia 1. -.-
Old 11-10-03, 01:43 PM
Suspended

Yes!! A good game that won't have me ripping controllers in half. It's messed up to drop 50 on a game that you beat in a couple sittings, but if kaiyouske pulled some all nighters, it wouldn't say anything bad about the game. The worst is a game that fakes it's length. For example, if you eliminated cut scenes and senseless random battles, RPG's wouldn't be 60hrs long. Same goes for tons of other games. Worst of all, is frustrating bosses that take forever, and many tries to beat until you get lucky finally. I want to know how many hours PoP took.
Old 11-10-03, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by balancer
Worst of all, is frustrating bosses that take forever, and many tries to beat until you get lucky finally. I want to know how many hours PoP took.
Well, for the record there are NO frustrating bosses. There were a couple of puzzle that came pretty darn close though.... but yeah I stayed up pretty late on friday and saturday night just to play. It's that fun, IMO.
Old 11-10-03, 01:47 PM
Retired

I'll wait till it hits $20. There's very few games I'm willing to drop $50, and games that take 9 1/2 hours (or 15 by the editors at IGN) aren't among that narrow list.
Old 11-10-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I couldn't resist so I picked this up yesterday. Haven't played much but from what I have played, it seems awesome. Nice graphics and sound plus the voicework didn't make me cringe. The ICO comparisons are what did me in. I doubt I will finish this in less than 20 hours. Maybe if I was in school still and had nothing better to do, but with a job and other things to do I think this should last me a good month of play time.
Old 11-10-03, 02:55 PM
Retired

What's being in school got to do with not finishing it in under 20 hours?

I'm in the same boat, a 20 hour game will take me a month or 2 to beat rather than a weekend, but it's still just 20 hours of gameplay just spread over a longer period of time due to not having large amounts of free time.
Old 11-10-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
What's being in school got to do with not finishing it in under 20 hours?

I'm in the same boat, a 20 hour game will take me a month or 2 to beat rather than a weekend, but it's still just 20 hours of gameplay just spread over a longer period of time due to not having large amounts of free time.
In school you could blow off classes or homework to play games. Plus in the dorms you didn't have to really worry about cleaning or food. Working does not afford you those priveleges unfortunately.... Just have more responsibilities now than when I was in school. Maybe I was just a slacker back then! Now I usually play my games in 1 or 2 hour spurts on the weekdays and weekends.
Old 11-10-03, 03:39 PM

A thing about the hours, is that there's probably a couple of hours that weren't recorded in the last save game since I had to redo a lot of the levels. When you die, I don't think those times are recorded into the savegame. So more realistically, I would say it took me around 12-13 hours to beat. I personally think this game is definately worth my $50. You should read the special feature of this game on Gamespot's site. It talks about the hardships of making a game, and I'm glad that I supported them with my money. Keep up the good work, Ubisoft! ^^
Old 11-10-03, 03:59 PM
Retired

Originally posted by The Franchise
In school you could blow off classes or homework to play games. Plus in the dorms you didn't have to really worry about cleaning or food. Working does not afford you those priveleges unfortunately.... Just have more responsibilities now than when I was in school. Maybe I was just a slacker back then! Now I usually play my games in 1 or 2 hour spurts on the weekdays and weekends.
I work and do grad school and live by myself in an apartment, so I'm in the same boat. 1-2 hour bursts here and there.

My point is, I judge a games length by play time. A 20 hour game is a 20 hour game, whether you play those 20 hours over a weekend, or over a month or two.

If PoP only takes about 10 hours, I'm not going to shell out $50 for it, even though it will probably take me a month to play through, rather than the weekend it took this guy. It's still not enough time value for my $ IMO.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 11-10-03 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Mr.Hinkle(grad. school + work + same length opinions).
Buy anyhow, I played and beat this game in two bursts this weekend (give me a break the fiance was out of town...like you'd do any different) with a total playtime of a little over nine hours.
Not worth $50.00, but definitley purchasable at the greatest hits price.
Old 11-10-03, 10:23 PM

The proverbial question of how long does the game play and is it worth the money? From what I've been reading hearing, PoP is one of the best new games out there, great quality and all. It does take 10 to 15 hours for a skilled gamer to complete. So is the problem that you're too good to complete it in a measly ten hours, or would you rather buy a game that is half as good but lasts 30 to 50 hours? Luckily I don't have as much time to play myself, and I am really just an average gamer. So it will probably take me twice the time to finish this. (sometimes it pays to suck : ) )I am also a cheapy myself, and would seldom buy a game for the full price. But I just wonder what kind of games we'll be getting if game developers took this to heart, just giving us a game worth 50 hours that is not as good as it should be so we'd be happy at how long it takes to play it. Hopefully games like this get enough support that they are indeed encouraged to create even more games like these....

Now will I buy this game being the cheapy that I am? Well, I wish this was still TRU Buy 2get3 week and I'd certainly know the answer. Now I'll have to wait for a good sale before I can grab this one. Or maybe not.......
Old 11-11-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that length can sometimes be a factor (that what she said... heh heh) but if I finish the game quickly then I just sell it on ebay for ~$30 and voila.... I have played a new game for the price of a greatest hits game. I've done that about 7 or 8 times with games over the past few years (Devil May Cry and Medal of Honor come to mind)
Old 11-11-03, 08:19 AM
Suspended

I've done that Ebay thing a few times also, and traded stuff in while they were still new, so it' winds up costing, like you said 20-25 bucks to play and beat a new game. I always go back to the movie theater comparison. Price of going to the movies, per hours of entertainment, most games, even the ones that take 10hrs are a bargain. Anyway, I think I'm definitely getting the GC version of this game for xmas from my wife.
Old 11-11-03, 11:56 AM
Retired

Originally posted by DVDGamer
or would you rather buy a game that is half as good but lasts 30 to 50 hours?
I'm very picky with what I buy in most cases, so I try to only buy at full price great games that I'm pretty sure I'll get at least 20-25 hours. Games like PoP I'll wait to drop to $20 or try to pick in a trade on the forum.
Old 11-11-03, 12:49 PM

Is it just me, but I base a game's purchase on if it's fun or not.

How long it takes isn't really a concern, as long as it's fun. That's my only rule. All other rules seem to take the fun out of the game.
Old 11-11-03, 01:12 PM
Retired

Fun is the first rule.

Play time is just the second.

If it's a short game. I'll just spend $5-6 and rent it when I have a weekend I can set aside to finish it.

But if you have a lot of money, I guess it doesn't matter. Doing grad school, and living by myself in the Baltimore/DC area off a graduate assitantship doesn't leave me much expendable income so I try to maximize my purchases.
Old 11-11-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The whole issue about game length is not really related to Prince of Persia. Well, maybe a little. But this discussion is getting too long & should be discussed in another thread here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=329374
Old 11-11-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How hard is this game? I'm read in a few places and people are saying this game is easy?
Old 11-11-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The game is not too hard, but some battles drag on a little long. The actual enviornmental element is the most challenging aspect of the title, and it's not to challenging. The thing about the game is that the sands of time allow you to correct many mistakes....so later in the game it becomes a redundant bunch of try it then fix it.
Old 11-11-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've died a few times so I wouldn't say it's easy. Maybe once I get to grips with the controls better I'll be more resilient. Also turning off the "hints" helps too sine I like to figure out what I can do on my own.
Old 11-11-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll pickup till it hit $19.99 price range beside I have alot alot unopened & didn't have time to play
Old 11-12-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought this one was still a few weeks off....they slipped it in under my radar.

I liked the demo, but I since money is tight I'm putting this one off for a bit.

The length doesn't bother me since my average gaming sessions only last forty five minutes to an hour, maybe ninety minutes at the most. So I'd most likely get some decent mileage out of this game.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.