Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Old 07-06-04, 06:49 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm finally playing through this, a little over 50% through according to the save file.

It's a great game. The puzzles are great.

I'm not too fond of the combat though. It's a little limited and I get sick of battles where you're simply overwhelmed by multiple enemies. I'd rather the "bosses" just be one on one fights against bigger, badder creatures. I think I read they're doing just that for the sequel, fingers crossed here.

But still, great game so far.
Old 07-07-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too hope the next game is a step forward. So far it seems like it is.

I got almost to the end and got soooo stuck that I gave up. I think I was 97% of the way done and I had to do the jump between the walls WAY up in the air without the dagger. I gave up after a about 40 minutes or so.

The game really ticked me off at that part but as a whole it was still a great game and I'm going to check out the next one as soon as it is released.
Old 07-20-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just under halfway through and am pretty underwhelmed with the game. The level design itself is excellent, but the terrible combat and overall lack of challenge detract from the positives.

Hopefully, the sequel makes some positive changes because there is a ton of good stuff in there.
Old 07-21-04, 11:31 AM
Retired

Finished it last night.

I'd give it a 7/10 overall. The level design and puzzles are great, but the combat sucked. Needs more weapons and bosses, not just button mashing with the sword and dagger against an overwhelming number of enemies over and over.

Way too short too, glad I didn't but it at launch. Last save was just under 10 hours, so probably 12 hours or so of gameplay total with dying and restarting a lot.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 07-21-04 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-19-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

damn... i didn't realize it was so short. (should've read this thread). glad i didn't pay full price for this.

i'm about 4 hours into it and it says i'm 43% complete. i thought maybe it was just chapter 1 w/ a couple more chapters to go.

also, i'm finding it too easy (except for where i have to bounce from wall to wall). all of the paths are basically linear. just b/c i can somersault from one bar to another doesn't make it fun. might as well have made it a walking path if it was going to be so easy.

for comparison, i like mark of kri much better.

Last edited by young; 10-19-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
I got this game used from EB used for $17.99 when the price dropped. It is a bit short. Took me between 9-10 hours to finish, but they were probably the best 9-10 hours of gaming I've had in a LONG time. Every aspect of the game was enjoyable. I wouldn't say it was easy, but it wasn't hard either. I would have been happy with it even if I payed full price.
Old 10-19-04, 03:22 PM

I played this on the PC with keyboards, it took way longer than 9 hours. I think it was about 13 to 15 hours. Luckily I bought it for $19.99.

I might pickup the next one, but it depends how hard it is to play with the keyboard again.
Old 10-19-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can anyone tell me which version is better, the Gamecube or PS2?

Or if possible, does anyone know a site where the two versions are compared?
Old 10-19-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ravenous
Can anyone tell me which version is better, the Gamecube or PS2?

Or if possible, does anyone know a site where the two versions are compared?
www.gamerankings.com , then search for "sands of time"

PS2 score - 92%
GC score - 91.8%

Choose your favorite controller and get the version that uses it
Old 10-19-04, 07:49 PM

You better remove those scores....god forbid if you offend any Nintendo fans by saying the PS2 is better

Jokes aside….

Get the game pre-used, it’s fun game. I’m lookin’ forward for the sequel.
Old 10-19-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have got to start timing these efforts. Since my playing is broken up I have no idea how long it takes me. But for a guess I would say 20 hours. I am never quick when I like them.
Old 10-20-04, 01:06 AM

Damn, not a big difference in ratings. I guess theres no big difference in graphics. Oddly enough, I see the PS2 version EVERYWHERE but not the GC version. Its like its OOP. I had read somewhere that the GC has the original PoP whereas the PS2 didnt.

Man, I hope when Pt2 comes out that pt 1 is cheaper than hell. Thats what Im waiting for. Samething for Vice City. Any guesses what the prices for these games will be once the sequels are released? Im hoping for a $12.99 price at least. Yea, Im a cheap bastard
Old 10-30-04, 01:51 AM

With this Toys R Us sale going, I did some research just now and I saw that the ps2 and gc are the same ecept you need the gba to OPEN the original PoP. Thats fucked up.

I wanted to ask though, I saw the the GC has a making of, but this wasnt listed on the PS2 version. Is this only on the GC? Someone help me out here, I have to take advatage of this deal by the end of tomorrow! Thanks
Old 11-06-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, i finished it and it took about 10 hours (less) according to the time on the saves.

seriously, i'd give this game 6/10 b/c it is too short, too easy and not very imaginative. it literally is a linear path from beginning to end. it had it's moments.

i think Beyond Good & Evil is much better than Prince of Persia and w/ all the hype i read about it, i have to say i was very disappointed. (i'd give BG&E an 8/10)