Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-03, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished it... Great game if not very frustrating at times. I played some parts of levels for an hour before finishing it.
Old 11-29-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I finally got ahold of this game. All of the gamecube versions were out so I rented the PS2 version. I was disappointed with the last Ubisoft game I played, Splinter Cell, but I've been loving this game so far. Its been awesome but I'm glad i rented it, I've only had it for a day and a half and I'm already 50% done. I have a few pet peeves though.

The combat is atrocious. They almost had it down, there are some cool moves, but sometimes it gets to be too much with too many enemies to fight. Though that might be because I'm spoiled from the excellent targeting combat system in Zelda. And it might just be the PS2 version but the framerate starts to chug when there are 3 or more enemies on the screen, but thats the only instance of that.

The other thing that bothers me is the in-game voice acting volume levels. I have to keep re-adjusting the volume every time the girl speaks and its really annoying. This game is in serious need of an option for subtitles, sometimes you can't hear the Prince speaking when there's a lot of action on screen.

Other than that the game is fun and I'm glad I rented it. The game has been fairly easy so far, but I reccomend everyone play it .
Old 11-29-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have the xbox version, i m stuck on the part where there is a giant budha look alike status, i try to climb up the wall, but keep failling. any hints on how to climb up the wall on the giant statue? thanks
how do u obtain the dagger of time, how do u unlock the vault that guard the dagger? thanks
Old 11-29-03, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to wall jump. Start running up the wall, then press jump to jump to the other side, jump back, jump again, etc. Just takes practice. I found it much more difficult wall-jumping down a wall (you have to do that a couple times later in the game).

You'll get the dagger when you need it. Its not hard.
Old 11-29-03, 07:59 PM

I just finished it today. Did anyone else have a lot of trouble on the elevator fight? It took me a while to get past that.
Old 11-29-03, 09:54 PM

No problems with the elevator fight for me, though some others gave me some trouble. It seemed to me like the enemies had trouble getting close to the fountain on the elevator, so every time I needed a drink, I was able to get one without being hit. Maybe I just got lucky.
Old 12-15-03, 09:44 PM

I just finished this game with my Gamecube system for about 13 hours and its awesome. Controls on GC is perfect. This game is one of the best if not the best. Ubisoft is becoming one of my favorite developers.
Old 03-31-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Resurrecting an old thread because I just picked up and finished this game in the past few days. Been looking forward to playing this game for a while. It was well worth the wait. It was short, only took me about 7-8 hours to beat, but still well worth it. Performing my first wall run was just awesome, the movement and controls in this game are something other clunky, awkward controlling games (Tomb Raider) should pay more attention to. I even enjoyed the cutscenes and story, which I usually don't like. I wish it were a little longer and maybe a few boss battles along the way but overall a great game. I agree with Maryang Palad, with BG&E and now PoP, Ubisoft is quickly becoming one of my favorite devlopers.
Old 03-31-04, 08:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome game, I just beaten this last nite. Ending was good also making it all worthwhile. Wish it was longer and a tad harder.

The only thing I found remotely hard in the game was the elevator fight since Farrah kept dying.

I wish they also cranked the voice audio up also
Old 03-31-04, 08:32 AM

Yeah, the voice audio is sometimes very hard to hard over the music and other noises.
I wind up having to crank the volume way up to hear what he's saying, and then it turns out to be pretty unimportant.

I got about 50% through the game with about 6 hours logged and decided to shelve it in favor of some other games, to leave some for later.
Old 04-01-04, 03:37 PM

I also just dusted this back off to beat, now that all is said and done I have no complaints, one of the best i've played in awhile thats for sure.
Old 04-01-04, 08:03 PM

I beat this a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I love these type of games. But I have to comment as others have that the audio is the WORST enginered ever!! The voices during the cutscenes are inaudible compared to the gameplay. And if you turn the music and sound FX all the way down and the voices all the way up, the voice during gameplay is deafining loud!! Keep the remote handy.

Not bad enough to make me not love the game, but wierd because this would be an easy thing to fix and it is very annoying.
Old 04-01-04, 09:49 PM

Which version do you have? I played the xbox version and encountered none of those audio issues.
Old 04-02-04, 08:39 AM

I have the Xbox version and have also experienced the sound issue, but I never tried changing the audio levels.

Guess I'll give that a shot, though I'd hate to take away from the awesome environment enhancing score of the game.
Old 04-02-04, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber
Which version do you have? I played the xbox version and encountered none of those audio issues.
That's funny. I also have the XBOX version as does a buddy of mine, and we both have the problem. I know others have as well. I wonder how this happened to some and not others. Maybe they fixed it with later productinos?
Old 04-02-04, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by squi23
I have the Xbox version and have also experienced the sound issue, but I never tried changing the audio levels.

Guess I'll give that a shot, though I'd hate to take away from the awesome environment enhancing score of the game.
When I turned everything down, I then turned the volume of my TV up and there was no difference in sound...the only thing was when the Prince of Farah talk during gameplay...it is LOUD! I ended up just keeping the remote handy and cranking it up during the cutscenes. I don't think I missed much.
Old 04-02-04, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
That's funny. I also have the XBOX version as does a buddy of mine, and we both have the problem. I know others have as well. I wonder how this happened to some and not others. Maybe they fixed it with later productinos?
Possible, didn't pick mine up until the buy it and get splinter cell deal.
Old 04-06-04, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by the_dude8
i have the xbox version, i m stuck on the part where there is a giant budha look alike status, i try to climb up the wall, but keep failling. any hints on how to climb up the wall on the giant statue? thanks
Keep trying to climb up the Buddha ... there's nowhere else to go but up.
Old 04-06-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Originally posted by yukon-cornelius
Keep trying to climb up the Buddha ... there's nowhere else to go but up.
Wow, that's really early. It's not explained well at all, though. What you need to do is "wall jump". Get to that narrow part and then jump to the other wall. When you touch it, immediately jump again. Repeat. It takes about six jumps to reach the top, but once you get the rythm down, it's actually pretty easy.
Old 04-06-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I really liked Price of Persia too, that is until I got completely stuck. Can't get past the first boss battle, with my father and his henchmen. Are they any cheats?

I love the puzzle solving aspect of this game, but the combat kind of blows.
Old 04-06-04, 09:49 AM

The boss battles get even tougher as you go along, and slow as I am, I figured this out a little further along (must've died 50 times doing the brute force method with pops)

but anyway, the simple answer is to use your block!

Really, no kidding, there's not much to it. Just use your block during the entire battle and only let up when you have a shot.
Also, make sure to cover the back of your lady friend as you can't have her dying on you.

There's more attack techniques that I haven't learned or just can't think to use during battles, but I mix it up b/w these for the most part.
1) the wall-jump-attack - not sure of the buttons involved but you can jump off a wall and dive sword first at an enemy.
2) sommersault over the enemies - this puts you behind them and lets you attack easily
3) straight up attacking with blocking

You should be able to handle your father pretty easily with these.
Old 04-06-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joeblow69
I really liked Price of Persia too, that is until I got completely stuck. Can't get past the first boss battle, with my father and his henchmen. Are they any cheats?

I love the puzzle solving aspect of this game, but the combat kind of blows.
I found this to be the toughest battle of the whole game, maybe cause I was just getting started. Also because you have the crappiest sword at this point and it gets blocked a lot. But squi23 is right you have to block a lot and only attack when you have a chance. Vault all the red guys. The blues you just have to be careful and maneuver while blocking so you can get one at a time. I saved the Prince's father til last. Then I found it worked best to dodge real quick when he starts to swing (hit over and A for the gamecube) and quickly hit him when you have dodged his swing. I think you may only be able to get one swing in.
Old 04-14-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally rented this, and I'm really impressed. Great game!

But I'm stuck right now. I'm at about 85% complete. I'm at the part where you take the elevator up the tower and get swarmed by enemies. I just can't keep Farrah alive! And help or suggestions?

jim
Old 04-14-04, 12:45 PM

Before the enemies start spawning in the elevator, try to position yourself as far away from Farrah as possible. The enemies tend to spawn and respawn near you. Try not to get near Farrah during the battle unless you see her getting attacked. Stay close to the walls to use your leap-off-the-wall attack to knock your enemies down and immediately use the dagger afterwards. If you get surrounded, use your freeze attack.
Old 04-15-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Marker
Before the enemies start spawning in the elevator, try to position yourself as far away from Farrah as possible. The enemies tend to spawn and respawn near you. Try not to get near Farrah during the battle unless you see her getting attacked. Stay close to the walls to use your leap-off-the-wall attack to knock your enemies down and immediately use the dagger afterwards. If you get surrounded, use your freeze attack.
Thanks! It took a couple more tries, but I finally did it! I had been staying too close to Farrah, trying to protect her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.