Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it has a bit of profanity. If the mods want i will.. or they can change it to this link

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php...03-11-14&res=l
Old 11-15-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone looking for a good price on this, picked it up for $34.99 today at BB with the frys ad and $5 coupon.
Old 11-15-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Holy jesus, this game ****ing rocks. (I'm only a few hours in, but it's already in the running for the best 3d adventure/platformer game to date.)

Ok now you share
Old 11-16-03, 04:20 AM

To continue in the penny-arcade vein, and as a response to those who make game purchases based heavily on length, I would remind you of a qoute from Tycho about the very subject. "I don't rate my food on how long it takes to chew it"
Old 11-16-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
To continue in the penny-arcade vein, and as a response to those who make game purchases based heavily on length, I would remind you of a qoute from Tycho about the very subject. "I don't rate my food on how long it takes to chew it"
I think you might be misunderstanding us here. We acknowledge that many of the greatest games of all-time are relativley short. All we are saying is that we personally prefer not to pay full retail on a title if we can't get a certain amount of gameplay out of it. Basically.......we are to poor to buy now, so we'll be cheap and buy at the greatest hits price.
Old 11-16-03, 08:55 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly starseed. I have no problem with short games. They can still be great. They're just not worth $40-50 IMO. I'll wait till they hit $20.
Old 11-17-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
As long as we're going with the food analogy - I think it holds up. Not the chewing, but the amount. Would you rather have a perfect 8 oz. steak or a shoddy 16 oz. steak? But who wouldn't prefer a perfect 16 oz. steak?
Old 11-18-03, 01:09 PM

Anyone play this game on a Game Cube controller. I am trying to decide if I should get it or wait till I buy an XBOX and get it for the XBOX. My main issue is I am not too fond of the layout of GC controllers for certain games.
Old 11-18-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by bluntman72
Anyone play this game on a Game Cube controller. I am trying to decide if I should get it or wait till I buy an XBOX and get it for the XBOX. My main issue is I am not too fond of the layout of GC controllers for certain games.
According to IGN's head-to-head comparison of all 3 versions, the Gamecube version is the best visually. It ships today so I'll let you know later this week if I can pull myself away from Mario Kart , unless someone else gets it.
Old 11-18-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by bluntman72
The Gamecube version has the original PoP, while the XBox version has PoP 2. Does that help?
Old 11-18-03, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Outlaw
According to IGN's head-to-head comparison of all 3 versions, the Gamecube version is the best visually. It ships today so I'll let you know later this week if I can pull myself away from Mario Kart , unless someone else gets it.
I don't have insider acces, but In the Xbox version review, IGN says this:

The GameCube version of Prince looks slightly better than the PlayStation 2 one, and the Xbox better still . GCN and Xbox sport marginally crisper textures and more stable framerates. The Xbox incarnation features higher polygon counts, too. In the PS2 and GameCube builds, Prince's fingers are little more than a texture, but in the Xbox one the fingers are individually modeled and animated. On top of this, Ubisoft has implemented advanced lighting effects in the Microsoft version and as a result the world that Prince inhabitants looks slightly richer and more atmospheric, if that's possible
And the Gamecube version apparently has the worst audio of the 3 systems:

For one reason or another, the voice quality is compressed on the GameCube build, which is perhaps the biggest
disappointment we have with the game

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 11-18-03 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-18-03, 08:30 PM

I was talking about the head-to-head comparison, which they do after the reviews and aren't done by the console specific sites, not the reviews themselves.
GameCube, although we expected it to fall "somewhere in the middle" between the PlayStation 2 and Xbox as it often does, surprised us with its sharp, vivid display. Textures are actually more detailed at points and it doesn't suffer from the subdued, saturated look that it can often fall victim too. In the above screenshot you can see how much brighter and vibrant it is.
For the final visual verdict, we keep being led back to the GameCube. The Xbox has superior lighting. It has more polygons. It should look better. Problem is, it really doesn't. These upgrades are subtle and don't have a sweeping effect. What we see is the brighter, more colorful worlds and seemingly more detailed textures in the GameCube version. And though everything we know says the Xbox version should look better, our eyes tell us otherwise.
GameCube is an excellent choice if you can get past the compressed audio. Run it in progressive scan on your TV (or not) and its visuals are more crisp, vibrant and impacting than the others. It doesn't have the polygon count of Xbox, but the overall display is vivid and impressive when compared to the darker, more dull output of Xbox and PS2.
Anyway after reading it, it sounds like it doesn't matter which system you buy it for, the game is awesome in graphics and gameplay on all 3 consoles .
Old 11-18-03, 10:24 PM

That is interesting. Thanks, Outlaw.
Old 11-18-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, Outlaw.
Good news for me, I prefer the Wavebird all else being equal.
Old 11-19-03, 03:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For some reason, the Prince's fingers being individually modeled and animated on the X-Box just clinched the deal for me. Although I bet the sound is probably pretty darn good on the Box, too.
Old 11-19-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IGN had a teaser for their head-to-head comparison that mentioned the GC having the best graphics. What's that about?
Old 11-20-03, 12:52 PM
Suspended

this is great, now I get to use the wavebird and have close to the best graphics possible... too bad I have to wait till xmas
Old 11-24-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just started playing this for Xbox. So far I am impressed, I wasn't really looking forward to this title, but after hearing all the glowing reviews about it I had to try it. The character animation are some of the best I have ever seen, so fluid and cinematic. Then there are the controls, I can't praise them enough! This game rocks!
Old 11-24-03, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by flashburn
Just started playing this for Xbox. So far I am impressed, I wasn't really looking forward to this title, but after hearing all the glowing reviews about it I had to try it. The character animation are some of the best I have ever seen, so fluid and cinematic. Then there are the controls, I can't praise them enough! This game rocks!

I'll second this. The combat and acrobatic animations are amazing I just keep running up walls to watch him flip over and land. Fantastic.
Old 11-24-03, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Drexl
The Gamecube version has the original PoP, while the XBox version has PoP 2. Does that help?
I am unfamiliar with the control layout for those games, but after reading everything here I will probably trade my ssx3 for gamecube in on the gamecube version of this game.
Old 11-24-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Xbox version has both POP 1 & 2
Old 11-24-03, 06:16 PM

I'm enjoying the Xbox version. Pretty faithful to the spirit of the original. The battles can get annoying, though; so can the camera.
Old 11-24-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was one of the best platformers I've ever played (note: I really disliked Mario 64, so please don't say "Even better than Mario 64?!" ). The story, layout, level design, animations, battle system, pretty much everything except the extra low volume of the girl's voice was good. A bit short (7 hours to beat), but I see myself playing this again more than a few times. I only had a problem with the camera 2 or 3 times, typically when surrounded by enemies while in a corner. Great frickin game.
Old 11-24-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cartman
except the extra low volume of the girl's voice

Ok, glad to here it isn't just me. I have to keep adjusting the volume. I am having a blast so far with this game (about 30% done). My only complaint is the enemies can be kinda cheap teaming up on you.

Last edited by flashburn; 11-24-03 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-25-03, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah i just unlocked PoP2 which you have to find a secret ingame.. And i think you have to beat it to get PoP1. Great game i can't put it down heh.. not easy by any means the fighting is very very hard sometimes... but i'm at 60 percent already and rented it today It's still worth it though don't be discouraged by the time as remember you get both PoP's in it also as a bonus

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.