Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

One & Only Official Call of Duty Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One & Only Official Call of Duty Thread

Just figured I would start a thread on this.. since it came out today! Cant wait to try it.
Old 10-30-03, 03:58 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested, especially in the multiplayer. I just want to see other's impressions first though. I think Gamespot gave it a 9.0...
Old 10-30-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
You know, I'm one of the harshest critics when it comes to videogames. But this title is great! The one player mode is so immersive, wayyyyyy better than any of the Medal of Honor titles. Also, you don't need a high end PC to play it. Additionally, the multiplayer is a blast!
Highly Recommended
Old 10-30-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, just from the demo alone I knew it was going to be much, much better than Medal of Honor.
Old 10-30-03, 06:16 PM

out of curiosity, what makes it better than MOH...I have always been a big fan of MOH
Old 10-30-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well there are a couple of things which make it better. For starters, it's much more immersive...the AI of your team members is much better and they act in almost in exact accordance to the action on screen. Additionally, the level design fits the mission structure better than MoH-rather than showing off a new graphical technique with a new location. Now,CoD is definitley designed for the one player experience. Quite honestly, I haven't been this emmersed in the one player aspect of a FPS since Goldeneye and Half-Life.
Old 10-30-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, Starseed hit the nail on the head. The reason why CoD is so much better than MoH is because of the immersion. Between all the squad communication to the intense battles and amazing sound effects, it will make you feel like your there.
Old 10-30-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You all really need to start talking about how much this game sucks. With 12 new Xbox and PS2 games from TRU, I really don't have the time to get CoD right now ...
Old 11-01-03, 10:42 PM

just finished it, this game is good. need to go back and play it on harder levels.
Old 11-01-03, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by cartman
You all really need to start talking about how much this game sucks. With 12 new Xbox and PS2 games from TRU, I really don't have the time to get CoD right now ...

Hmmm.... O.K. Here goes.

It is not on Xbox Live.
It does not come with an insert.
It is not O.A.R.
It is not anamorphic WS
The damage modeling is not at all what it was like when I was at Ste. Mare Eglise.

Other than that it is pretty good.
Old 11-01-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone know how much this game is going to be? Im hoping for a $39.99 price tag so I can use a coupon and get it cheaper. If its $50, than I'll just wait for a sale.

By going by the demos though, I think this will be the best game ever made.

Also, when playing the demo, I could have sworn I heard a soldier say the F word in the background. In fact, Ive heard it several times. Anyone catch this, or is it just my ears?
Old 11-02-03, 01:38 PM

i got mine at ebgames. they're having a $10 gift voucher if u buy it there. they also had a deal if u bought the strategy guide you'd get another $15 gift voucher. not great, but good enough for me.
Old 11-02-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by starseed1981
You know, I'm one of the harshest critics when it comes to videogames. But this title is great! The one player mode is so immersive, wayyyyyy better than any of the Medal of Honor titles. Also, you don't need a high end PC to play it. Additionally, the multiplayer is a blast!
Highly Recommended
I am not a very PC savy person. I got a regular old Emachines PC for my birthday(Hey, it was free, so dont hate).

Can my PC run this game??

Here are the specs....

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 1.60 GHz (w/256KB L2 cache)
Intel NetBurst™ Micro-Architecture
SiS 650 & 961
7.25"w x 14.125"h x 16"d
60 GB HDD
AOL 3 month membership included, click here for details
256 MB DDR (PC2100)
56K* ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
24x10x40x Max. CD-RW Drive
3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Keyboard, Wheel Mouse, Amplified Speakers
AC '97 Audio
Integrated SiS Real 256
(1 AGP slot available for upgrade)
4 USB ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio In & Out, MIDI/Game port, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, 3 PCI slots (2 available)

Sorry if the info I posted was overkill
Old 11-02-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked this up this weekend and beat it in regular difficulty in 9-10 hours. Very immersive game and I'll probably go back and play it a second time at a harder level. The only thing that bugged me is that I never seemed to find enough ammo for the guns I started out with. I'd have dump them midway through and pick up the German guns so I could always get enough ammo for them.
Old 11-03-03, 06:09 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked up this game after playing through the demo and not reading anything about the game before I downloaded the demo. I must say that I have been a huge fan of the MOH titles, but this game blows MOH away. It runs faster on my system (which is not top of the line) than MOH and looks better to boot.

The biggest thing about this game though is that when you're moving your character around in the game, it doesn't feel like he has lead in his boots like it does in MOH. I always felt like I was kind of moving in slow motion in MOH, but in CoD, it's much quicker, and more intense gameplay, plus with everything that's going on, it's definitely more immersive.

To answer jessecrx, your system should be fine top lay the game, but I think you might need to pick up a true AGP video card to really get the most out of the game (or any game for that matter). A good GeForce 4 MX card is cheap enough and would do the job. I am currently only running the game on an Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4 ghz), 512 MB PC2100 DDR, GeForce4 4600 video card, and a Hercules Game Theatre XP sound card. Far from top of the line, but it gets the job done.

As for ammo in the game, I'm with UWSarge, it does kind of suck to have to abandon your gun you start with, but the more I do this the more I realize it's very realistic as to what the guys fighting the war probably had to do on the battlefield. Once you run out of ammo for your gun (which is foreign in the foreign lands), you have to pick up a Nazi gun if you want to continue the fight, and have the ammo to back you up. Kind of a nice touch actually...

I give this game 9.9/10.
Old 11-03-03, 09:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I knew I would love this game from the demos, and I was right! An amazing, immersive shooter. If you think this genre is tired and overdone, you should still check out Call of Duty. It'll change your point of view.

Don't let the low system requirements fool you: the game looks and sounds great. I do think the AI could use a little work, but it's greatly improved since the first demo.

For console owners, there is a version of Call of Duty coming out next year for all three systems. But it will have completely different levels than the PC version.

Has anybody tried the multiplayer? I just moved and my broadband connection isn't working yet. I'd love to hear how it is.
Old 11-03-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just started playing this game on the hardest difficulty. And the strange this is that it's better. You have to rely on your team even more and behave more realistically.
Old 11-03-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Multiplayer rocks!!!

Mind you I have only played the Team Deathmatch but the mulitplayer on CoD was just incredible, especially with the urban-type maps. The use of grenades was so effective that not even hiding behind a wall would save you. Plus the only way to get a perfect snipe shot is to stay still...which makes you a perfect target.

I would've played it for over 3 hours straight but my girlfriend started yelling at me to get off the PC and go to the mall with her.

Never ceases to amaze me in MPs is how different players play online. Even with the respawning, some players are really really freaked out in getting killed (once they see a grenade lobbed to their direction, they scatter like ants), while others have the take-charge attitude and goes gung-ho just to advance positions.

Most Rambo-type players just never seem to learn however...
Old 11-05-03, 01:51 PM

I have to disagree, CoD is a big let down. Sure the single player is great, but the multiplayer doesn't hold a candle to MOHAA. You might as well be playing Quake III or UT2K3 with all the bunny hopping and being able to run at 40mph.

The reason I say it is a let down is because the developers were supposedly the same ones that created MOHAA, but I don't see any MOHAA roots in this game other than the fact it is a WW2 FPS. Are they sure that wasn't a typo and they meant to say the developers from RTCW were behind this game? The player models are amusing at the most as when people are running around it looks like they just dropped a load in their pants or are doing a pee pee dance. The weapons choices are limited - only 4 for the axis, grenades that can be thrown almost 100 yards...

I could go on about the problems with this game regarding multiplayer, but I do have to admit this game is very fun in single player mode - finally your AI teammates are valuable and finally you can lie prone along with crouching. The graphics are good, but not a huge leap compared MOHAA.

That being said, I find the eerie likeness to RTCW ET in multiplayer a bit disturbing. Maybe that is why Activision made RTCW ET a free download, because they knew this clone was right around the corner.

I don't have a problem with faster FPS like Quake, UT, Doom, etc - but the player movements are just plain unrealistic to the point of not being enjoyable. MOHAA got the movement and speed right - and that goes a long way to making the game feel realistic. Bunny hopping soldiers who can run faster then most automobiles of the time... what a joke. If I wanted to play a game like that I would still be playing TFC.

Last edited by GigaShadow; 11-05-03 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-09-03, 12:52 PM

Does anyone know what the "extra" feature under the graphics tab adds? I think it is in the character and general textures area. I had it set to high before and didn't notice any difference. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How does it compare to Day of Defeat. All the praise so far for this game has been in DoD for months.
Old 11-14-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm stuck on the soviet 6 floor building mission on veteran difficulty. Any tips? (use spoilers)
Old 11-14-03, 09:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
RoQuEr,

I imagine you're having the same problem I had with that level. If so, here's the solution:

Spoiler:
There's a basement to the building, only accessable from the outside
Old 11-14-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Damn-this game is amazing. I just got it last night and I put it on hardened and now im stuck defending the bridge against all the tanks.

Great game though. The killcam on multiplayer is awesome.
Old 11-14-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
This game was made by the MOH guys, but the game engine is based off the RTCW engine which is what is throwing you off, and myself off as well...

I played a little bit on multiplayer last night, and it just wasn't right... it was too much like RTCW and not enough like MOH.

Hopefully it will get better, or I will adjust the more I play it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.