Space channel 5: $8.99!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Space channel 5: $8.99!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got mine... AWESOME Deal for a cool game for under $10. I have it for DC... I even think the DC version looks a bit better, but this is a sweet deal for 2 games. Thanx everyone! Sega rules!
Old 11-20-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got my copy today but didn't have time to play it
Old 11-21-03, 07:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Outlaw
Space Channel 5 part 2 has gameplay that involves singing in addition to the up down left right chu chu chu!! or so I've heard Interesting game with some pretty swinging music , my only complaint is that the first game was super short, it could be beaten in little over an hour. Hopefully the second is a little longer.
Remember that, with the first game, if you play through it a second time there are additional scenes.

I'm interested in hearing people's impressions who bought this on a blind buy. The actual gameplay is not much more than "Simon Says" but the game just exudes coolness. The music is great and the style is great too!

Also, in part 2, (I have the DC version), there were hidden secrets that are mentioned in the screen at the end of a chapter (there's a count for how many you found) but I don't think the PS2 instruction book mentions this. Here's the details from the FAQ on Gamefaqs:

===========================
I. HIDDEN RHYTHM POINTS
===========================

What are these hidden rhythm points? In the game you can press
the default shoot button at certain points in the soundtrack
which will cause Morolians to appear momentarily on the screeen.
These are the hidden points and the more you find the better your
score and percentage. Your third stat on the level select/ending
screen is the number of points found in a single run of a level.

FS
Old 11-21-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
still waiting.
Old 11-21-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Michael Jackson was in the first game.
Old 11-21-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received this yesterday. Played it for a bit - both part 1 and part 2. I remember playing the original on a friend's Dreamcast several years ago. When I played it back then, I did pretty well, getting maybe halfway thru the game on my 2nd or 3rd try.

Last night when I played the same game on my PS2, I couldn't even get past the first several encounters! Even after like 10 attempts! I have a lot of experience with rhythm games - I own Amplitude, Frequency. Have played Gitaroo Man, DDR. Did I just have a bad night or is the gameplay messed up? Anyone else having difficulties?
Old 11-21-03, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Joshic
I received this yesterday. Played it for a bit - both part 1 and part 2. I remember playing the original on a friend's Dreamcast several years ago. When I played it back then, I did pretty well, getting maybe halfway thru the game on my 2nd or 3rd try.

Last night when I played the same game on my PS2, I couldn't even get past the first several encounters! Even after like 10 attempts! I have a lot of experience with rhythm games - I own Amplitude, Frequency. Have played Gitaroo Man, DDR. Did I just have a bad night or is the gameplay messed up? Anyone else having difficulties?

No problems here...has the white man's overbite affected your ryhthmic abilities lately?

FS
Old 11-21-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine today.

Thanks for the deal.
Old 11-22-03, 01:15 AM

A few things:

For those who missed out on the $8.99 deal, no worries....the retail on this collection is only $14.99, so it's pretty damn cheap for EVERYone. I'm still amazed at that price. I realize Agetec probably understood that it was a niche title, but can they really make any money at $15 a pop? Hell, it's not even like it's a simple port...for part 2 everything had to be redubbed, and unlike the original, that includes a bunch of singing too. Regardless, I would hope anyone with even a remote interest in Japanese craziness (which the Space Channel 5 series exemplifies) and/or mind-blowing Austin Powers-meets-techno music would drop the measly $15 for a 2-game collection. And for those who have absolutely no interest in this...drop the measly $15 anyway ya cheapskates! No seriously, this game will bring a smile to pretty much any person within hearing distance.

Joshic- No, no problems here. It's funny, because I first let my two guests try the game and they were doing absolutely terrible. After awhile I decided to try it myself, thinking the same thing that you are...that maybe the control was messed up. But nope. I blew through the first 2 levels on Space Channel 5 part 2 with just 3 mistakes. I will say that I noticed the timing was a bit more strict, since that's 3 mistakes more than normal for me (not bragging, just saying I've played the hell out of the import for DC).

I'm disappointed that there's no option for the original Japanese audio. Not that the US dub is bad (and what is, sorta fits). But this is definitely a game in which squealed Japanese adds to the flavor. Also, the vocals in part 2 can throw off your rhythm since the translated lyrics are occasionally too many syllables. The very first boss battle has an example of this.

And yeah, no Michael Jackson is definitely a loss. Recent controversy aside, his contribution to part 2 was hilarious and his level, in particular the dance showdown at the end, is probably my favorite of both games. I'm going to play through part 2 tonight and see how they get around that, but considering one of the songs actually features him singing background vocals, well, chances are the level's gone the UmJammer Lammy way (ie, gone for good).

Still, 2 of my favorite games in recent years. I still listen to the soundtracks.
Old 11-22-03, 02:02 AM

Stop...The...Presses...

My mistake, Space Michael IS in the game. Which is strange, since his image was removed from the instruction manual cover (which was the import SC52 cover) and he's not included in the cast of characters in the manual. But yup, just played through his section and he's all there. Almost. One unfortunate change, which I don't understand in the least: his background vocals during the dramatic boss fight in Level 4 have been changed to female vocals. Probably won't be noticeable to most, but one of the things that grabbed me when I first played the import was when I heard friggin' MICHAEL JACKSON singing during a Jpop song! Strange that his voice is used, as well as his likeness, but not his singing. Ah well, much more than I expected anyway.
Old 11-22-03, 07:53 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, man, when I rescued Space Michael today, I was so happy. My crew doing the "walking while snapping at the waist" move looked really cool.

Yeah, he's probably pedo, but he can dance.