Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Simpsons Hit&Run review "Best Simpson game released to date."

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked this up from ebgames. Not bad, but something is up with the graphics. I'm not a hard core gamer so I don't know the right terminology, but basically there's a ripple effect in the game where the graphics try to catch up with the movement. Does this make sense? Who knows, maybe its my TV. Or that I'm using a widescreen TV (the game supports widescreen).
Old 09-19-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I've read the same complaint on a few other forums, so it's not just you. "Tearing" is the term I think they used.
Old 09-19-03, 08:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Tearing occurs when the framerate of the game exceeds the refresh rate of your television.

Which console are you playing it on, BlackCapTen? I'm wondering if all the versions have this problem.
Old 09-19-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't know that it was called "tearing". Interesting. Maybe I"ll try on a different television just for the hell of it. I'm playing it on Xbox.
Old 09-19-03, 08:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by BlackCapTen
I'm playing it on Xbox.
That doesn't surprise me, since you would expect the Xbox to have the highest framerate. You'd think they'd use VSYNC, though.

I doubt changing the tv would help, since they are all "locked" at 60Hz. Any game that goes above 60fps would have this problem.
Old 09-19-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts
so far the only problem i have is control of the cars driving.
it seems too loose. lots of wide turns going around corners.
Old 09-19-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented it for the weekend, and I must say that I kind of enjoy it. The cars are a little loose, but overall the game seems quite fun.
Old 09-19-03, 06:47 PM
Suspended

I'm getting the tearing also while playing the Xbox version in progressive scan on a 43" TV. The effect is giving me a headache, there's no way I can play through this game.
Old 09-19-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got the gamecube version in today, and one of the first thing I noticed was the tearing. I played for an hour or two this afternoon, and I've still got a headache, the worst video game related headache I've had since my weekend game rental marathon playing from back in high school.

But other than that, I still have a couple of issues with the game. The camera is not very good when on foot, and the controls feel off for some reason. So far, the missions seem pretty lame, also. At this point, I feel that Road Rage is a much better game, in terms of graphics, control, and general fun levels.

After my headache goes down I'll try to improve my opinion of it.

And a note to anyone else who pre-ordered from ebgames.com: If you wear that hat in public, this is me laughing at you
Old 09-19-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Face/Off
If you want to be a stereotypical internet forum poster, you should say, "I think it sucks because it sucks."
Nah, a stereotypical internet forum poster would be more like, "I've never played this game and know nothing about it, but I've decided that it sucks and anybody who disagrees with me is stupid."
Old 09-20-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I am playing the Xbox version, too, but I haven't noticed any tearing. Yet.

Old 09-20-03, 04:02 AM
Banned

Last edited by Face/Off; 09-20-03 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-20-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
Nah, a stereotypical internet forum poster would be more like, "I've never played this game and know nothing about it, but I've decided that it sucks and anybody who disagrees with me is stupid."
Actually, for the Simpons edition wouldn't that be "that's the suckiest suck that ever sucked a suck."
Old 09-21-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Originally posted by TheDude
Actually, for the Simpons edition wouldn't that be "that's the suckiest suck that ever sucked a suck."
No. It would be:
"Worst. Game. Ever!"

Old 09-21-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Circuit City has the PS2 version on sale for $37.99 this week, though the other consoles remain fullprice for whatever reason.
Old 09-21-03, 10:10 PM

I am a HUGE Simpsons fan. There are obviously things that you could be critical about with this game, but overall it's a pretty great representation of Springfield.

If you are a big fan - or diehard Simpsons fan - then it's a must buy. If not -- there is nothing ground-breaking that you must have. The comparisons to GTA are valid in some ways, but GTA is much deeper. There is more concentration on the humor elements and voice acting than violence and expansive missions.

Brody
Old 09-22-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Which version to get? Any one know what IGN said?
Old 09-22-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Dumb question, but there isn't a "trails" effect like GTA is there? That might explain the tearing.

I think I'm going to give this a rent.
Old 09-28-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mmconhea
Which version to get? Any one know what IGN said?
IGN Says:

Simpsons: Hit and Run Head-to-Head This article is part of the IGN Insider subscription service. If you want to read the rest, subscribe now.
GameSpot Says:

In terms of performance, all three console versions of the game actually run similarly. The Xbox version gets the nod for a slightly smoother look and better overall frame rate. Both the PS2 and GameCube versions look practically identical, though the GameCube version is just a tad less jaggy.
Old 09-29-03, 12:33 AM

I rented the Gamecube version over the weekend, and I'd give it two thumbs up. The dialogue in the game made me laugh out loud quite a few times. Not only is the voicework identical to the show, but the writing for each character is great.

Yes, the game is derivative of GTA (open ended mission based driving game). There basically 3 missions types:

Race so and so from point A to point B
Destroy target car(s) before time runs out
Collect a certain number of items before time runs out

If you're a fan of the show this won't matter. Whether I was collecting Dr. Nick's escaped test monkeys or rounding up Tomacco for Cletus, I was still having fun.
Old 09-29-03, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have one thing to say to all those who loved the game:

Eat asphalt, asphalt eaters

My wife played this game for HOURS. And it so happens the one speaker in my system is right by my computer desk. After hearing that phrase for 3 hours I not only didn't want her to play the game I even took it back to Blockbuster early so I was rid of it.

I did play a little while I was off work sick and it wasn't a bad game. Missions were fun but that various cars I drove handled kinda crappy.

My wife was sooooo excited about buying it but after hearing about the tougher missions I convinced her to rent it. She got her fill of the game in the time we had it and I'll never have to hear Bart say that line ever again.
Old 09-29-03, 01:45 PM
Banned

I love this game. It's just great. I'm noticing no tearing effects on my Gamecube version. Very smooth play. The controls are excellent, although the camera often gets into a sucky position. They made the camera unable to go through walls, so when you are in a place, it's sometimes impossible to move the camera to actually see what you're doing. Annoying, but not fatal, as 99% of the time the camera tracks just fine.

Carjacking: Yes, you can get in any car in the game. However, you're just borrowing the car, as you don't pull the other person out. Anyway, all the cars you find driving around are suck. Best to go get one of your cars from a phone booth. My favorite so far is the Globex Super Villain Car. Makes the race missions much easier. Lots of little things abound too. Try jumping on a normal car that's driving around, but don't get in. It'll drive around and you'll do a surfing thing on top of it.

A lot of the game is running around and grabbing stuff within time limits. Most of the missions are that way. There's also card collecting and trying to get 100% of everything on each level (clothing, cars, gags, killing all the flying camera wasps...). Basically it's an "unlock" game. As you complete each thing, you unlock new stuff. Like getting all the cards in a level unlocks new tracks in the multiplayer game. Getting all the cards in all the levels lets you see an Itchy and Scratchy movie on level 3 (which I have yet to do). Getting everything gets you a new sticker on the scrapbook. Completing all 3 street races on each level gets you a new car on said level. That sort of thing.

The real fun for the Simpson fan is the references. Everything, and I mean everything, is a reference to one episode or another. I was driving through an alley a while ago that has this arm moving up and down. I didn't think about it other than as an obstacle, because I'd been through it many, many times. Then I noticed what it was. It was an arm coming out of the Bowlarama that was grabbing logs from next door, and using them to make the fresh bowling pins. In case you don't remember, this is a 10 second gag from episode 2F10, the one where Homer is recounting when got his job at the bowling alley and then Marge got pregnant with Maggie and he had to go back to the power plant.

It's a must own game if you are a Simpsons fan. If you like GTA 3d style games, then it's worth checking out. If you're not into the Simpsons, then don't bother.

My favorite bit is running over random people to hear their sound bits. The phrase "I regret nothing!" always cracks me up.

Last edited by Otto; 09-29-03 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I blame society!!"
Old 09-29-03, 02:46 PM

The "I regret nothing!" is great, heh. The lines of the other characters when you're riding around with them are pretty great too. When I first heard the Comic Book guy shout "Engage!" as I was racing someone else I about died laughing.
Old 09-29-03, 09:57 PM
Banned

Or when you hit something with Homer and he says "Possessions are fleeting..." Driving around with Snake (you have to be Bart for Snake to be in the Bandit car, I think) is quite fun too. "I'm going to totally kill you.."

By dint of extraordinary effort, I've gotten 100% of everything now, *except* for the final mission. It's hard.

Oh, and I got the bonus Itchy and Scratchy cartoon from Level 3. It's okay, but not great.

Here's a tip.. If a circuit race (the Nelson races) seems extraordinarily hard, and you're only racing one other guy in a circle instead of three, then start the mission with a tough car, then go backwards and ram the guy head on and push him into a wall. He'll blow up after a bit. Then turn back around and complete the race. I had to do this to beat one, otherwise I think it's unbeatable as the guy goes faster than you ever could and makes no mistakes.

Another fun thing to do: If you see a non-generic character just walking around, get out of the car and go kick him a few times for some fun sound bites. The Bumblebee Man is entertaining, as is the Comic Book Guy.

Last edited by Otto; 09-29-03 at 10:06 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.