Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamespot's "Greatest Games of All Time"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
It's one of my favorite games of all time, easily.
Don't get me wrong, I played the hell out of that game, and I really enjoyed it. It's just that in my head, it doesn't come to mind right away as a great game. I completely forgot about it, but when it came up I was saying to myself "oh yeah it was a great game." I'm not saying it shouldn't be up there, just that I'm surprised they mentioned it so soon.
Old 09-16-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Galanthas
Street Fighter 2 > MK2 . The only reason Mortal Kombat became so popular was because of the fatalities.
That's a matter of opinion - I think Street Fighter 2 was shit - I NEVER liked the Street Fighter series. MK > SF. I wasn't into MK for the fatalities... I couldn't care less. I liked it cuz it was good.
Old 09-16-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmmmm. . . Star Control II
Old 09-16-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oooo Tecmo Bowl. Every football game after Super Tecmo Bowl is shit if you ask me.
Old 09-16-03, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
That's a matter of opinion - I think Street Fighter 2 was shit - I NEVER liked the Street Fighter series. MK > SF. I wasn't into MK for the fatalities... I couldn't care less. I liked it cuz it was good.
I'm not saying MK2 is a bad game, just that it isn't a great one(IMO).

There's is no way the MK series would have become as popular as it did if it wasn't for the fatality gimmick. It was a decent fighter that used a gimmick to get attention is all.

And you don't have to like a series to realize it's better than another one either. Some people may prefer Dead or Alive 3 over Virtua Fighter 4:Evolution ,but that doesn't make it the better game.
Old 09-16-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But Street Fighter is for little kids, Mortal Kombat is for full, mature gamers.
Old 09-16-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's is no way the MK series would have become as popular as it did if it wasn't for the fatality gimmick. It was a decent fighter that used a gimmick to get attention is all.

And you don't have to like a series to realize it's better than another one either. Some people may prefer Dead or Alive 3 over Virtua Fighter 4:Evolution ,but that doesn't make it the better game.
I don't know if you would call it a gimmick so much as a feature. Is the violence in GTA a gimmick? No, it's part of the theme of the game, and it would be a lesser game without it.
Old 09-16-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay - you got the "(IMO)" part right, but it needs to apply to that whole thing. DOA3 is a better game than Virtua Fighter 4:Evo. MK is a better series than Street Fighter. I don't like having 'away' = 'block'... I'd rather have a button. That's my main beef. Other than that - I prefer the graphics of MK and DOA to Street and Virtua as well as the rest of the controls and special moves. It all has to do with preferences and opinions.
Old 09-16-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Is the violence in GTA a gimmick?
YES!
Old 09-16-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

GTA is not GTA without the violence. It is part of the whole atmosphere and story of the game. You may not like the game, but that doesn't make the violence any less integral so I wouldn't necessarily consider it a gimmick.
Old 09-16-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
YES!
Saying this is like saying the colorful nature and cuteness of Mario games is a gimmick. It isn't. The artistic design of GTA adds to the game's grittiness and appeal. You think Mario would sell if you put a glock in his hand and had him take out yoshi? I think not. By the same token, GTA would not sell if you had to jump up and hit bricks with your head to release mushrooms that made you grow in size.... actually maybe that would work?

Last edited by The Franchise; 09-16-03 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-16-03, 02:32 PM

Okay - you got the "(IMO)" part right, but it needs to apply to that whole thing. DOA3 is a better game than Virtua Fighter 4:Evo(in your opinion). MK is a better series than Street Fighter. I don't like having 'away' = 'block'... I'd rather have a button. That's my main beef. Other than that - I prefer the graphics of MK and DOA to Street and Virtua as well as the rest of the controls and special moves. It all has to do with preferences and opinions.
Since when has graphics have had anything to do with gameplay? I'm talking pure gameplay is what seperates good games from great games, not graphics.

www.gamerankings.com

Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox)
Avg Ratio: 85%
Based On 86 Media Outlets

Virtua Fighter 4 (PS2)
Avg Ratio: 91%
Based On 77 Media Outlets

Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (PS2)
Avg Ratio: 93%
Based On 44 Media Outlets

Tekken 4 (PS2)
Avg Ratio: 81%
Based On 64 Media Outlets

Again, you may prefer DoA3 over VF4:E, but that doesn't make it the better game. For example, I have always preferred the Tekken series over the VF series. Tekken is more fun to me, but that doesn't make it the better game.
Old 09-16-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by The Franchise
Saying this is like saying the colorful nature and cuteness of Mario games is a gimmick. It isn't. The artistic design of GTA adds to the game's grittiness and appeal. You think Mario would sell if you replaced him with a fuzzy animal?
No but that doesnt stop people from trying.

..and failing.

But in some instances it works...

..and is amazing.
Old 09-16-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since when has graphics have had anything to do with gameplay? I'm talking pure gameplay is what seperates good games from great games, not graphics.

www.gamerankings.com

Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox)
Avg Ratio: 85%
Based On 86 Media Outlets

Virtua Fighter 4 (PS2)
Avg Ratio: 91%
Based On 77 Media Outlets

Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (PS2)
Avg Ratio: 93%
Based On 44 Media Outlets

Tekken 4 (PS2)
Avg Ratio: 81%
Based On 64 Media Outlets

Again, you may prefer DoA3 over VF4:E, but that doesn't make it the better game. For example, I have always preferred the Tekken series over the VF series. Tekken is more fun to me, but that doesn't make it the better game.
I never said graphics had anything to do with gameplay. I said I prefer the graphics. I said I also prefer the controls. The gameplay in both games is basically the same. And I don't care what reviews say - DOA3 is better than Virtua Fighter 4.
Old 09-16-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mmm.. Klonoa..
Old 09-16-03, 02:45 PM

I never said graphics had anything to do with gameplay. I said I prefer the graphics. I said I also prefer the controls. The gameplay in both games is basically the same. And I don't care what reviews say - DOA3 is better than Virtua Fighter 4(IMO).
Fixed that for you
Old 09-16-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's ok Trigger, I prefer DOA3 to VF4 as well.
Old 09-16-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loderunner on the Apple II+ was an all time classic game. I wasted many an hour playing it and designing levels. I'll have to find the bin file for the Apple Emulator, I still have the original disks but no Apple hooked up to play it on (it's in a box in the garage).
Old 09-17-03, 11:25 AM
Retired

MK2 was awesome. I don't know what you're talkin about. Street Fighter 2 belongs on there, but MK2 doesn't? C'mon.
I loved MK2 back in the day as well, but it's not half the game SFII was. It was mainly cool for the fatalities (which were awsome at the time when I was in my mid teens).

If I go back and play it today it's not nearly as cool. I've out grown being amused by violence, and the fighting system is pretty shallow and unbalanced compared to Street Fighter II. It's still a decent 2D fighter, but it's pretty shallow. More style than substance. Basically the 2D equivalent of the DOA series IMO.
Old 09-17-03, 11:26 AM
Retired

Fixed that for you
Good job. People will get taken much more seriously if they stop throwing around opinions as facts.
Old 09-17-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Good job. People will get taken much more seriously if they stop throwing around opinions as facts.
As if you've never been guilty of stating an opinion and omitting "IMO".

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
That's good. I still refuse to pay for OXM because it's a lame pile of fanboy crap. I can't deal with non-objective reporting, reviews etc. But I probably have higher standards than most, having a BS in Journalism.
Physician, heal thyself.

Everything we say on here is an opinion. I've been boiling it down to opinion and preference this entire thread... go back and read it. This is just another attempt to take a jab at me... get over whatever petty squabble you're harboring resentment for. I don't troll your posts, but looking through your history, you reply to mine alot with indignant responses.
Old 09-17-03, 02:16 PM
Retired

You just trolled my post in the release date thread.

I have no petty squabble with you, if anything it's the other way around. I don't get into "squabbles" with random people on internet boards. I just write them all off as geeky losers and put no stock in what they say. j/king. But seriously, I don't often waste my time worrying about others opinons.

I just had to call you for omitting the "IMO" since earlier int he thread you posted something like "at least you got the IMO part right" to another comment.

As for what you pasted by me, thats a fact not an opinon. OXM (like the other single console magazines) is fanboy crap. There's more bashing of other consoles and shamelesses over looking the flaws of the covered console in them than you see on this messsage board, and that's saying a lot. Even if some of it is in joking manner, it has no place in a magazine in which I expect full journalistic integrity.
Old 09-17-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-17-03, 04:03 PM

Old 09-17-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.