DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Gamespot's "Greatest Games of All Time" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/317960-gamespots-greatest-games-all-time.html)

Galanthas 09-15-03 03:04 PM

Gamespot's "Greatest Games of All Time"

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fea...mes/index.html
*New Games added each week*
Lode Runner
Castlevania:SoTN
The Legend of Zelda:OoT
Starcraft and Starcraft: Broodwar
Street Fighter 2:The World Warrior
Star Control 2
Tetris
Pac-Man
Super Mario World
Twisted Metal 2
Counter-Strike
Tecmo Bowl
Fallout
X-Com:UFO Defense
Final Fantasy Tactics
Wipeout XL *added 9/22/03
Grim Fandango *added 10/11/03
Heroes of Might and Magic 2:The Succession Wars*added 10/11/03
Bionic Commando*added 10/11/03
Quake *added 10/20/03

This has been a damn good list so far, that is until the newest addition. I don't know what they are thinking putting this game as one of the greatest games of all time.

Mortal Kombat 2

20 years from now the only thing this game will be remembered for is the stupid fatalities and babalities. There is no way this game should ever be considered among the greatest games of all time.

GatorDeb 09-15-03 03:05 PM

I thought SMB3 was more popular than SMW?

PixyJunket 09-15-03 03:07 PM

I got two hitmen that'll bury you brothers
They rule the underworld
You know'em as the Mario brothers
Straight cannon
And won't hesitate to shoot you
And they stay goin to war with that latin King Koopa

Galanthas 09-15-03 03:07 PM

Originally posted by GatorDeb
I thought SMB3 was more popular than SMW?
It is to some, I prefer SMB3. I would imagine it will make the list eventually. They are continually adding to it each week.

PixyJunket 09-15-03 03:09 PM

SMB3 is IMO, the best Mario game. Mario World would've been great if they hadn't taken away all the cool suits and powerups and replaces them with a stupid dinosaur.

Trigger 09-15-03 03:36 PM

MK2 was awesome. I don't know what you're talkin about. Street Fighter 2 belongs on there, but MK2 doesn't? C'mon.

nickdawgy 09-15-03 03:41 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
SMB3 is IMO, the best Mario game. Mario World would've been great if they hadn't taken away all the cool suits and powerups and replaces them with a stupid dinosaur.
Give Yoshi some love :D

PixyJunket 09-15-03 03:42 PM

I hate Yoshi with great passion.

Galanthas 09-15-03 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
MK2 was awesome. I don't know what you're talkin about. Street Fighter 2 belongs on there, but MK2 doesn't? C'mon.
Street Fighter 2 > MK2 :p. The only reason Mortal Kombat became so popular was because of the fatalities.

The Dude 09-15-03 03:45 PM

I may be the only person on the face of the planet that didn't actually like Starcraft. I've tried and tried and tried, but just don't see the fun in that game.

PixyJunket 09-15-03 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Galanthas
Street Fighter 2 > MK2 :p. The only reason Mortal Kombat became so popular was because of the fatalities.
While I agree.. MK2 did have pretty solid gameplay, and was the only worthy competitor for the time. The first one may have been popular because of the fatalities, but the 2nd one actually held it's own as a solid fighter. Of course, they jacked that all up and made the mess that is MK3.

Lastblade 09-15-03 04:37 PM

No Super Bomberman 1 or 2 = they have no clue! That is probably the best multiplayer game (in the same room, online really takes away the trash talking and face to face humililation) ever made.

nickdawgy 09-15-03 04:44 PM

What did Yoshi ever do to you? Poor dinosuar just wants a hug :D

Galanthas 09-15-03 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Lastblade
No Super Bomberman 1 or 2 = they have no clue! That is probably the best multiplayer game (in the same room, online really takes away the trash talking and face to face humililation) ever made.
That list is far from complete. They will keep adding games each week.

Static Cling 09-15-03 05:44 PM

I'm glad X-Com is on there. Here's to hoping that UFO: Aftermath will be the worthy successor to X-Com that fans have been waiting for since we finished it.

shizawn 09-15-03 05:57 PM

Glad to see Star Control 2 is on there. It really is one of the best games ever made.

edytwinky 09-15-03 08:23 PM

But he's my favorite Smash Brothers character :(

spainlinx0 09-15-03 10:38 PM

Wow Twisted Metal 2? I actually really loved that game, but if I was coming up with a list of the greatest games ever, I don't think I would have even thought to list that one so soon.

zero 09-15-03 11:14 PM

While I agree.. MK2 did have pretty solid gameplay, and was the only worthy competitor for the time. The first one may have been popular because of the fatalities, but the 2nd one actually held it's own as a solid fighter. Of course, they jacked that all up and made the mess that is MK3.
I agree with you for the most part, but I did enjoy playing MK 3. NOT Ultimate MK 3 but MK 3. That game alone shoiuld have been it, but like everything else people demand more so more got crammed into a game that was fine just the way it was.

fumanstan 09-15-03 11:15 PM

I wouldn't think of MK2 as one of the greatest games of all time, although i think that was one of the games me and my friends just played to death.

CaptainMarvel 09-15-03 11:29 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Wow Twisted Metal 2? I actually really loved that game, but if I was coming up with a list of the greatest games ever, I don't think I would have even thought to list that one so soon.
It's one of my favorite games of all time, easily.

Doctorwho 09-15-03 11:53 PM

As long as TMNT 2 The arcade game and Super Mario Bros 3 are on it then im okay with it.

IMO the two best games.

tanman 09-16-03 12:02 AM

Super Metroid
FF VI (III)

better be on there....

OR ELSE!

RoQuEr 09-16-03 12:16 AM

twisted metal 2 and final fantasy tactics are the only 2 games I don't REALLY like.

UFO: Aftermath is coming out in 2 weeks. Anyone excited?

Static Cling 09-16-03 12:55 AM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
UFO: Aftermath is coming out in 2 weeks. Anyone excited?
Me me me. :)

TONS of good games are coming out between now and Christmas... at least 10 that I'm interested in. :) / :(