Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamespy's 25 Most Overrated (Overhyped?) Games of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-03, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 2.

I think i put that game in month ago, and all I've been doing since is watching movies. Maybe one day I get to control Snake I'm still holding on to hope
Old 09-16-03, 07:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Added #16-20. So far, none of them have been predicted by anybody.
Old 09-16-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Getaway was a HUGE letdown.
Old 09-16-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Q-Bert
Old 09-16-03, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Kromax
Q-Bert
No way! Q*Bert was the bomb, yo. A fun, humorous game that was a lot different than anything else in arcades at the time.
Old 09-16-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm also an idiot. I played and liked Myst.
Old 09-16-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I liked Myst. Great atmosphere.
Old 09-16-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@!#?@!
Old 09-16-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by zero
Halo should be somewhere on that list.
I disagree. I've finished first person shooters from the original Castle Wolfenstein, through Marathon, Doom, Doom 2, Duke Nukem, all the Quake varients, Unreal varients, Half Life varients etc, etc, etc. Halo is, to me, the most polished and involving of them all. I buy the hype.

Battlecruiser 3000AD would be my choice for the most overhyped/biggest letdown game of all time, but was never rated highly so I wouldn't call it overrated.

My choice for the most overrated game of all time is Myst.
Old 09-16-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've played:

25. Neverwinter Nights - bleh... boring
24. Super Mario Sunshine - it was okay.
22. Star Trek: Starfleet Command - yawn
21. Morrowind - It was okay
20. Impossible Creatures - I liked it... neat twist on RTS.
18. American McGee's Alice - I liked it, but it got boring.
17. The Getaway - Overhyped, but kinda cool.
16. Mortal Kombat (Arcade) - I liked MK.

Others mentioned in this thread - I liked BMXXXX - anybody actually play it? The gameplay is pretty addictive and the levels are actually fun. Most people saying what a pile of shit it is probably never even played it. Black and White was a cool game - I don't know why people don't like it. Daikatana - complete shit. So was Tresspasser - what a letdown that was. State of Emergency was poo as well - although most people were let down because they were expecting another GTA. I liked Shenmue, but haven't been patient enough to finish either game yet.

I bet Giants Citizen Kabuto ends up on that list... that game was waaay overhyped. I liked it though. Another one was Messiah - again, another one that I liked, but was a major letdown for most people.
Old 09-16-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Outpost? That game was full of so many flaws

Master of Orion III - what a piece of shit... It was so automated that you could keep clicking end turn from the start and take over half the universe.
Old 09-16-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is probably more of a preference but I thought Hitman 2 was way over rated and the controls sucked big time!
Old 09-16-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Hiro11
I disagree. I've finished first person shooters from the original Castle Wolfenstein, through Marathon, Doom, Doom 2, Duke Nukem, all the Quake varients, Unreal varients, Half Life varients etc, etc, etc. Halo is, to me, the most polished and involving of them all. I buy the hype.
Apples, Oranges I think Half Life 2 will blow Halo 2 out of the water, and in terms of depth I think Half Life buries Halo.
Old 09-16-03, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by teddydogg
this is probably more of a preference but I thought Hitman 2 was way over rated and the controls sucked big time!
Agreed Hm2 controls were a real pain I'm suprised no one brought up Xenosaga that game was more cinematic than gameplay and I had to lay down my controller several times because the cut-scenes ran too long. Tomb Raider, MGS2 and State of Emergency should be placed on that list as well.
Old 09-16-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Overrated:
Halo
GTA 3
Vice City
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy X

Underrated:
Metal Gear Solid 2
Hot Shots Golf 3
P.N.03
Old 09-17-03, 12:18 AM

Ah, The Getaway . The lock on aiming works sometimes. The manual aim is slow to respond. The cars handle like bathtubs. The characters move like they just stepped out of Driver 2. The camera loves to screw you over. I could let these problems go if the rest of the game was any good, but its not. I love that the developers spent all this time creating over 40 miles of London for you to drive around in, but didn't have the decency to give you any sort of map to travel by. The " find your way by following the flashing tailights " gimmick is the dumbest, and most frustrating thing I've ever seen in a game. The only good thing about this game is the authentic cars. Grade : D After all the hype, it deserves its infamy.
Old 09-17-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mmconhea
Enter The Matrix
yes sir, you are correct!
Old 09-17-03, 12:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by teddydogg
BLASPHEMER!

It's been a while since I played, but what was wrong with the controls? My only problem was that the sneak speed was too slow.
Old 09-17-03, 07:26 AM

Added #11-15.
Old 09-17-03, 08:04 AM

The controls, graphics, music, and weapon variety in Hitman 2 are all cool. The plot, however, is kind of throwaway and doesn't flow. Other than the plot, this game is excellent, and more enjoyable than the " big stealth game of 2002 " , Splinter Cell. Now, that painfully linear adventure with mediocre level design deserves to be on an Overrated list.

And GTA3/ Vice City don't belong anywhere near this list, or thread. They belong in fine art museums. Where generations of people can study them and marvel at these masterpieces. The Supreme one has spoken.
Old 09-17-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Overrated games (maybe this should go in the unpopular opinions thread):

1. Final Fantasy Tactics. Playing this was about as much fun as studying for actuarial exams.

2. Devil May Cry. Comic book dorks embraced the "coolness" of Dante, but in reality he lacks any personality whatsoever, and the game is strictly average.

3. Super Metroid. A well-designed game (one of only three SNES games I still own) that really bogs down in parts. Certainly an above-average experience, but probably more influential than actually enjoyable.

4. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. A fun but completely shallow two-player experience. I couldn't imagine the tedium of playing solo though.

5. Ratchet and Clank. A total disappointment (and I like most platformers) in terms of graphics and gameplay. The cities look shiny and fake, and the shooting dynamic never quite gels. Inferior in every way to Jak and Daxter.

6. Rayman 2. I have honestly fallen asleep while holding the controller. What exactly is so great about this game?

7. Resident Evil. Some of the sequels have evolved to the point of playability, but the insulting puzzles, leaden dialogue, and never-get-used-to-it control scheme always made the appeal of this game an enigma to me.
Old 09-17-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played Myst back in the day, and thought it was cool at the time
Old 09-17-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Battletoads is overrated because it is hard?
Old 09-17-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Battletoads????? I have never felt so agitated while reading an opinion of a game. So he goes back and plays it now and doesn't see what the big deal was? Try playing it about a decade ago. Yes Battletoads was insanely hard, but guess what. The fact that people KEPT ON PLAYING even though it was ridiculously difficult is a testament to how fun the game was. My brother and I played this game on cooperative until our fingers bled, fighting over every damn fly that popped up on the screen. We could do the motorbike parts with our eyes closed. Funny we could do so well in a game designed for "power players" being around 8 years old. Ugghh, I haven't played that game in a while so maybe I'm just feeling the nostalgia, but I can't remember ever having a bad time with that game.
Old 09-17-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This list is dumb. None of these games are overrated, they are all overhyped, and not even all of them were that.

Gamespy just doesn't have the testicles to do a real overrated list.

I will also agree with the Battletoads statement, that game pushed the limits of what the NES could do while remaining a fun (even if ultra-hard) game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.