Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is Nintendo Playing the Wrong Game?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-03, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So only Finding Nemo and Rayman sold better on GC than X Box. Interesting...

Last edited by evenflow; 08-06-03 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-06-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Most people are trained to think that if it comes out on all three the Xbox should have the better version. It is the most powerful machine, it should look and sound better. Of course that isn't always the case but the majority of the time. Case in point, I pre-ordered True Crime for X-box even though it will be on all three. Why? 5.1 and potential custom soundtrack.

[quote]I can almost guarantee you more people would have bought, because the Zelda fans that bought Windwaker would have bought it, and people like me probably would have bought it also[/qoute]

that is a bold statement from a game that garnered the highest pre-sell in history. But you are right to an extent, if there was a game they could have turned mature from kiddy it would be Zelda. Metroid could be More mature/realistic as well.
Old 08-06-03, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
You've never played the game! How do you decide what's good and what's not, by the box art?
I have played Zelda, and I did not like it, main reason I didnt like it, was because I didnt like the look of the character in the game, not the box art . Only game I said I havent played is Metroid, and if you look back at my post, I never said anything bad about it, I just said from what I have seen, as far as screen caps, videos and commercials, it didnt appeal to me enough to justify buying the system. I never said I would not give it a chance just based on that.

Welcome to the Playstation Generation.
I know that is referring to me, but I am not a "fanboy" of any system or brand. As a matter of fact, I just came home with guess what? A Nintendo GAMECUBE! So now I own all 3 systems. Unfortunately, the GC wont be getting much use from me until MGS is released, but I will be borrowing Metroid from a friend, we'll see how that goes.
Old 08-07-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a Gamecube, but it took a long time before I finally did. The fact that Zelda: Wind Waker looks like a kiddy cartoon did not help convince me. It was a big turn-off. But after having read many opinions on the game and reviews, I decided to give it a try. It was very fun to play and the graphics are actually really good - lots of attention to detail.

BUT - the majority of the gaming public are not as devoted to reading reviews and only give a quick glance at a game before buying it. As someone mentioned earlier, you only get one chance to make a first impression, and Zelda made a very bad one with it's graphics style.
Old 08-07-03, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by GreenMonkey
Actually, I would say that the latter half of the single-player Monkey Ball 2 is easily one of the hardest but most addictive games I have played to date.
I am glad someone besides me stated this as well. Super Monkey Ball is a great game. PERIOD. Think Marble Madness back in the arcade days and you can see how a type like this can be fun.

I actually played Monkey Ball with 3 of my friends/family last night for about 3 hours. The party games on there are awesome, and there is a type for just about every kind of gamer.

Groucho, don't knock it until you try it.
Old 08-07-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Guys, as often Groucho was being sarcastic.

I think.
Old 08-07-03, 10:48 AM
Banned

couldn't tell....boldness can either be seen as sarcasm or rudeness.

Lets hope that it was sarcasm.
Old 08-07-03, 11:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dreamcastrocks

Groucho, don't knock it until you try it.

Groucho was obviously being sarcastic.
Old 08-07-03, 11:50 AM
Banned

It obviously wasn't obvious to me or I would not have made the statement. Not knowing Groucho or the way that he posts I would not have any idea.

So evenflowddt do you think my boldness was sarcasm or rudeness?

Understand my point?
Old 08-07-03, 12:19 PM
Banned

Understand my point?

Last edited by evenflow; 08-07-03 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-07-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody who's played Super Monkey Ball should have caught the sarcasm even without knowing Groucho.

Game's hard. Period. Starts out fun and festive but soon you want to shove that controller so far up that monkey's bum...
Old 08-07-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The sarcasm was pretty thick there. Unless maybe english isnt your primary language.
Old 08-07-03, 05:00 PM
Banned

ok, I am not the only one that did not know that Groucho was being sarcastic. Monkey Ball is a great game, lets just move on shall we?
Old 08-07-03, 05:12 PM
Banned

ok, I am not the only one that did not know that Groucho was being sarcastic. Monkey Ball is a great game, lets just move on shall we?
Old 08-07-03, 05:15 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by CreatureX
Worldwide Sales:
Nintendo GameCube - 9.6 million
Microsoft Xbox - 9.4 million

source: AP Industry

So if Nintendo is "Playing the Wrong Game", does that mean MS is as well since they have sold even less systems than Nintendo?

i would say they are neck and neck.

also, considering that this is nintendo's 4th console and used to dominate the industry, whereas msft xbox is their 1st console, i'd say nintendo is doing relatively poorly.

sony steps in with first console and takes over. msft steps in next generation with their first console and is in a tie with nintendo. it's sad seeing this happen to once beloved nintento who gave such great childhood memories.

if sony handheld is successful and competes with gba or some new nintendo handheld, nintendo may just implode.

personally, i am doubtful nintendo will ever establish themselves as the dominant player in the industry. and if they don't do it next generation of console/handheld, it won't matter if they ever try later on.
Old 08-07-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Implode? No. Worst case for Nintendo is they become a game publisher only. Sony and Microsoft can never make a big impact as just game publishers, but Nintendo would eclipse everyone even EA. Actually they already do when you count the GBA game sales.

Nintendo is going to be around and be a major player in console gaming forever so just get used to that. The question is whether will continue to produce their own console. If the next console also struggles they may just do like Sega and go publisher only and make hundreds of millions that way. They want to produce their own console though, because they like having the control and of course there is pride involved.

Nintendo will always be around and will always make millions the question for the future is how they will do it.
Old 08-07-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
For all the people who could not read or find the article on CNN I did repost in my first post. And for the record I have a GCN and GBA SP as well as a PS2 and XBOX and like all the systems.
Old 08-08-03, 11:07 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Kellehair
You've never played the game! How do you decide what's good and what's not, by the box art?
Well, you can go by previous experience with similar games.

I've never played an RTS I remotely liked, thus I don't bother with them anymore.

I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on the quality of say, Warcraft 3, but I can say with pretty much 100% certainty that I would like it simply because I can't stand the genre/type of game play.
Old 08-08-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BigDaddy
For all the people who could not read or find the article on CNN I did repost in my first post. And for the record I have a GCN and GBA SP as well as a PS2 and XBOX and like all the systems.
Cool, thanks. Very interesting article. Especially the parts about licensing the technology out and the consulting between Nintendo and companies such as ES that now seems to be taking place.
Old 08-08-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Welcome to the Playstation Generation.

Exactly. And that's where Nintendo has been FAILING. Whether or not you care for the "playstation generation" mentality referrence, you have to cater to it because that is where the money is.